Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: E-450 Collins
Engine: 7.3l Diesel
Starting the journey...

Hey all!

I am currently looking to buy a shorter bus to start a conversion. My goal is to live in it full time (I'm incredibly tired of paying rent and moving my stuff and housemates) starting this spring. I have lived in my truck before and a tipi and miss the efficiency of space and simpler systems.

One dilemma I have been having is deciding how big of a bus to get. I have looked at some E-350 models (4-5 windows) with the thought of convenience- they would be much easier to park if they fit in a normal parking space. However, since I am thinking about full time living, I am wondering if I want a bit more room. I am currently living in Portland, OR, where streets are narrow and parking is interesting but do not intend to be here for more than a few more years. I am having trouble finding busses for sale in that sweet spot between full size and mini.
(something between https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6468075317.html and https://asheville.craigslist.org/rvs...484645521.html ??)

I am definitely looking for something diesel for the longevity, mileage, and the potential for biodiesel if I want to take it on the road.

I have also come across some that have already been partially converted- I kind of want to do the whole process from scratch to learn the skills and really get to know the bus as well as have the chance to design everything myself. But I would definitely consider something that is alterable. I have grand and rather vague plans for small kitchen, composting toilet, solar, roof rack... I'm really just waiting to get a bus to know what I am working with to dive into design.

I have the ability to get a bus from anywhere but have had some trouble communicating with folks farther away- considering I would be flying and driving it back to Oregon I want to know a good amount before I start the process. Looking to purchase in the next month so I can start converting ASAP.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance for any help- I appreciate the considerable collaborative knowledge on this site!

Cheers!

jmccoola is offline   Reply With Quote