Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 01:00 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I don't know if the bridge(s) have been rebuilt yet on Highway 1. Yes, it's a gorgeous road, but maybe not if driving a new-to-you bus around its tight curves and gradients. I would definitely think hard about driving any bus there at the best of times. And as for staying invisible, I've never seen a yellow school bus there, so it would definitely attract some attention! Just go down 101 if you can deal with San Francisco city traffic at its north end, or 580 and 5 if you want a direct but boring route south. The latter however will require going over the Altamont and Grapevine passes, so make sure your cooling system is in good condition, and know how to safely descend the Grapevine's long 5% southbound grade if you don't have Jake brakes (trucks end up in the runaway ramps there all the time).

My bus is still registered as an Auto, which strictly speaking requires a non-commercial Class B license because its GVWR is over 26,000 lbs. When you have a Housecar, or whatever California now calls motorhomes and RVs, you are exempt from needing a Class B unless it is over 40 feet long. (Apart from the Ikarus bendy-Crowns and a few home-made articulated Crowns, no normal Crowns are over 40 feet long.) Just drive it sensibly, don't speed, don't make smoke from the exhaust, act like a real school bus driver, always use your turn signals, and stop with your 4-ways on at every railroad crossing (even though as a private bus you don't need to), then you'll be fine. And if you're stopped, just claim diplomatic immunity!

Good luck, John
Curious on how to not make it smoke?

overtid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:04 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

I have my bus! It is now safe and sound here in LA and I did not drive it home myself. Sense took control and I hired a company to drive it down for me. It was more or less the same cost to hire them as to fly and drive it myself. Not sure what my gas cost + gas milage would have been, but they paid for gas and delivered it this morning.

I do get lots and lots of smoke. I was pulling in to my storage where I rented a parking space for the time being. The company forgot to place my registration in the bus so I could not park there until I come back with it.

The company was super helpful though and got me a secure spot until monday. But 10 miles I drove was the most fun and scariest thus far. This is my first bus. First time driving a bus. The non synchro 5 speed manual was tricky, but quite comfortable after a little while. The smoke is what I was warned about and expected it. I just didnt know you can minimize it? Any tips on how to drive more incognito.

If it is allowed, here is my first turn with the bus.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MQs...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Thumbnails
L1003581-Pano.jpg   L1003562.jpg   L1007391.jpg  
Old 12-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtid View Post
Curious on how to not make it smoke?
Don't mash the accelerator pedal all the way until the engine has spooled up, and if you have a Detroit DON'T LUG IT. (I just hope that whoever you hired to drive it also knew this!) You can see the exhaust smoke in your left mirror. However, if the engine is old and tired or has the wrong injection timing or a bad turbo, it will smoke. Is it a Detroit or a Cummins? (Some Cummins 743 and 855 can smoke a lot on startup until they build air.)

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Don't mash the accelerator pedal all the way until the engine has spooled up, and if you have a Detroit DON'T LUG IT. (I just hope that whoever you hired to drive it also knew this!) You can see the exhaust smoke in your left mirror.

John
Thanks for the info! It is a bus and not a sports car, so slow and steady is just fine with me. The company told me that the girl who picked up the bus was a "pro" so I am sure it was a smooth ride down here.