Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter /Crown
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Texas newb!

Hello to all,

Texas skoolie newb from Katy TX to be exact. Anyone from Houston?

Del Aguila 2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howdy & Welcome! Yep...there are a bunch of Houston area bus crazies on here. One...(M1031A1) who drove for the Katy School District as I recall and has some great lines and info on local buses.

Once again...Welcome to the Madhouse!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I'm working for South Transportation at Katy ISD. I live by Katy Mills Mall. PM me if you're wanting to learn more and maybe see my build......

M
Old 04-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: 2003 International CE; 2 A/C Units; PS; Air Brakes
Engine: T444E 7.3L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 72 Passengers
Waco bus conversion here

I am in Waco, so Central Texas is well represented...
CCurran88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Welcome to the forum. We too are in the Houston area, but are in Crosby, which is 60 miles East of Katy. There does seem to be a robust group in the area, and they all seem to be good for ideas on your build. There has even been the threat of getting together for a "Howdy Folks, Hoo Hah" but it aint easy to get us off at the same time.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Phatman Here!! Myself & Graycoyote are out here in the Alvin area. Graycoyote is a tad further south. A few of us have talked about doing a Texas get together. Time wise it has been somewhat difficult. Weather has been the other factor. Summer time is coming, so the weather issue should not be a problem. Sounds like a time to hit The Rehab with Tango and have a few cold ones and discuss the issue. Welcome aboard Del Aquila!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Hey Del, welcome to the Skoolie madness. I'm up on the NW side of Houston. Lots of Texas folks on this site.

Chances are good you'll find answers to any question you may have on this site.

What type of bus did you get?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #8

Angry Hey! We"re Neighbors!

Im in Richmond/Katy,TX myself! Off 1093 & 99 Hello!
Im barly getting
started. First thing I need is A/C!!! What type have you used? I was thinking rooftop. But im Not an electrician. So im probably gonna go for a generator and a couple of small window units??? Thinking of a way to try and make them look cool instead of an eyesore..Also looking for some good used tires for sale. I believe mine were retreads because after only 2 yrs-(barely any driving)but sun exposed, they have begun to get splits?! My bus is shorter w a handicap lift. Im gonna use it to travel...Blessings..Hey,text back,maybe we can exchange ideas or people we have found who do good work?
TexasPeashooterSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Sally, hello from Oregon

Most people are using the mini-split heat pumps for AC now. Apparently they're much more efficient and you can have several zones.

Ok, back to Texas talk.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #10

Robin

Thank you Robin. That was sweet to give me any idea's. I had never heard of those up until a few days ago? I will look into those. Thank you again and have a great day.
TexasPeashooterSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
TPS,

My build is right by there off Harlem Road and 99. If you're interested, PM me and I'll set up a time for a visit.

M
Old 04-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #12

Excellent. I live in Old Katy off of Ave D. I could really use some help on getting new tubeless wheels and tires for the rear of my bus. Can you point me in the right direction. I have 9.500R20 tube tires on the rear. The front has 11r22.5 so I'm good up front.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPeashooterSally View Post
Im in Richmond/Katy,TX myself! Off 1093 & 99 Hello!
Im barly getting
started. First thing I need is A/C!!! What type have you used? I was thinking rooftop. But im Not an electrician. So im probably gonna go for a generator and a couple of small window units??? Thinking of a way to try and make them look cool instead of an eyesore..Also looking for some good used tires for sale. I believe mine were retreads because after only 2 yrs-(barely any driving)but sun exposed, they have begun to get splits?! My bus is shorter w a handicap lift. Im gonna use it to travel...Blessings..Hey,text back,maybe we can exchange ideas or people we have found who do good work?
I would definitely like to see your bus, mine is off of Morton Rd and Ave D.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Hey Del, welcome to the Skoolie madness. I'm up on the NW side of Houston. Lots of Texas folks on this site.

Chances are good you'll find answers to any question you may have on this site.

What type of bus did you get?
I bought a 1993 Ford B700 with a Carpenter/Crown body. %.9 Cummins diesel with a 5speed Standard Shift.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
are you looking for A/C to keep you cool while stationary or while driving? the two are vastly different and require MUCH different capacities of cooling...

a nicely insulated rear engine bus can probably get away with 25-30k BTU of A/C for driving and parking... a Front Engine or Dognose bus (esp with a doghouse) will need MUCH more cooling to keep the driver seat nice N cool....

if you want to be nice N cool in both scenerios then I suggest installing Both types of A/C.. Coach / engone drioven A/C for the road, and rooftop / minisplits (minis are very efficient but more cumbersome to mount the sizeable condensing units).. for being parked...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #16

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #17

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
are you looking for A/C to keep you cool while stationary or while driving? the two are vastly different and require MUCH different capacities of cooling...

a nicely insulated rear engine bus can probably get away with 25-30k BTU of A/C for driving and parking... a Front Engine or Dognose bus (esp with a doghouse) will need MUCH more cooling to keep the driver seat nice N cool....

if you want to be nice N cool in both scenerios then I suggest installing Both types of A/C.. Coach / engone drioven A/C for the road, and rooftop / minisplits (minis are very efficient but more cumbersome to mount the sizeable condensing units).. for being parked...

-Christopher

The mini-split systems are appealing, but where do you put that big fan? Can that go under the bus?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The mini-split systems are appealing, but where do you put that big fan? Can that go under the bus?
thats the condensing unit.. the clearance requirements on them are fairly low.. in a bus with good ground clearance you can hang them underneath the bus. they have over-size coils because they are Heat pumps.

another option someone did was modify a window unit to be ducted into floor registers.. the boxiness of a window unit makes it nicer to fit under a bus and hang.. it remains to be seen how this option functions and longevity but its a cool idea..

I did some work on designing a skoolie-friendly under-mountable inverter A/C, but I couldnt make a good business case to sell enough volume that i could sell them at a price skoolies would pay..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #20
Bus Geek

So a condensing unit will work even if it's hung horizontally under the bus? I thought the condensing unit needed to be upright. It's been my plan to eventually get a mini-split system with at least a couple zones.

Here in the NW I don't worry about air conditioning. Our summer hot weather is usually only a couple weeks long, so for two weeks most of us just deal with it. However I want to travel south. Possibly way south. At that time I would need an air conditioner.

There seems to be a lot of 60,000 btu heat pumps for sale on govliquidation, but I think those might be three phase.