Hi there! Last April we were gifted the Unschool Bus! We renamed it the Bitcoin Bus and drove it from NH to TX. We have spent the past year campground hopping in central Texas as we focused on our new bookstore (we took over a 9 year old store 3 days after we arrived home with the bus, so bus remodle has been SLOW GOING). We love it, but there are certian challenges we are experiencing.
1. Both escape hatches are leaking, we want to pull them and replace and would love feedback on what other schoolies have done with their escape hatches.
2. 2 of 3 after market skylight/vents have cracked, 1 is leaking with duct tape, the other is not leaking with duct tape. These were installed over 3 teens' bunk beds (beds have been removed). We are not entirely sure what we are going to do with the back half of the bus, so we are not sure if we want to simply replace them or do something else... ideas?
3. Much of the dashboard is malfunctioning, there is also a water leak there, we have not identified the location of the leak. We obviously need to replace the entire thing... has anyone ever done this?
4. We had to pull out all of their custom remodel due to mold or rot in various stages, the bus sat for 8 months over NH winter unattended, and these leaks were obviously also unattended to. So we have gutted everything but the floor and walls (they never pulled out walls and ceiling panels, they placed wood laminate over the stock black rubbery floor). We are living with pretty normal house furniture, although we currently have a folding table with a built in sink as our kitchen sink, I am buying a new sink this week, just looking for the right one. We had to remove the entire kitchen, bathroom, and all 4 bedrooms - so the place looks funny right now with paint varieties from each area all exposed, etc...
5. There is a major rust issue around the wheel well near their shower they had installed, one panel has rotted through the wall and I can fit my fist in it. Does this need to be resolved before we remodle or can I fix this later? I have some foam packing stuff shoved in there for temperature control and to keep rodents out.
6. Major rust issue on floor panel upon entry, I knocked out a hole so big I can fit both feet through to see the grass below. It is currently covered by wood but I am reading here that might be dumb due to heat when driving.
7. Either I am super sensitive or I can smell gas fumes when in front of bus over passenger side, especially in summer. This is when we are parked, without the engine running. No leaks detected in gas tank. Have others experienced this?
8. The bus gets so full of moisture I had to keep our stand up AC in a large metal bucket sitting in cinder blocks to catch the water that just POURED out of the AC. I obviously need a new AC solution asap before summer. How is yours set up? What can we do to not over heat in 107 degree weather and not have 5 gallons of water to dump out 2x a day?
9. We pulled all house electric wiring and plumbing due to leaking pipes and a small fire after 10 months using their house wires. So thats ANOTHER project
Sounds ghetto, but we have made it cozy and functional for now. Took us a year to get to this point. We just need to figure out our next steps. Sounds like we need to pull the insulation out - if we have obvious leaks I am sure there is mold. Has anyone ever continued LIVING in a bus while at this step or do we need to move out temporarily in your opinion???
I will get some pics from instagram and post here in comments
I will also take some of the inside.
Nice to meet you all.