Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

The wait is over!

Still cant believe I am writing my introduction on skoolie.net telling everyone that I am the proud new over of a 1996 Thomas RE. 3 years ago I joined this site and scrolled through the forums, drooling over the builds thinking it would be nice. Well last week I bit the bullet, bid on a bus on a whim with some encouragement from my fiancé to "just go for it" and we won. I anticipate doing a build thread with tons of photos, because everyone loves the photos so don't worry.

I am a trained diesel mechanic so everything under the bus doesn't worry me. but I have TONS of questions about the interior build.

the number one question I have, that I have yet to see in any thread, and ill start with this is:

What type of hardware is used to secure the wooden frames to the "skin" of the bus? For example, rip out the old insulation in the walls and ceiling, add better insulation and reinstall wooden walls and ceiling, what type of fastener (i.e. screw, self taping screw, glue, Velcro (lol)) is then used to hold the wood to the ribs of the ceiling/walls?

Literally the only thing (as of right now) that keeps me up at night when dreaming of my build.

DMCGARIGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

oh one other thing, I'm out of southern California, Orange county area, does anyone know of any skoolie community in the area where people meet to work on their buses together here?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCGARIGAL View Post
the number one question I have, that I have yet to see in any thread, and ill start with this is:

What type of hardware is used to secure the wooden frames to the "skin" of the bus? For example, rip out the old insulation in the walls and ceiling, add better insulation and reinstall wooden walls and ceiling, what type of fastener (i.e. screw, self taping screw, glue, Velcro (lol)) is then used to hold the wood to the ribs of the ceiling/walls?

Literally the only thing (as of right now) that keeps me up at night when dreaming of my build.
Welcome aboard. Don't let that keep you up at night when there's thousands of other things to keep you up at night! We attached 5mm underlayment (luan plywood, basically) to the ribs with self tappers, then attached beadboard to the underlayment with a brad nailer and adhesive.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:

I've used several different things.....some 2 x 4s are attached with joist hangers (u clips), or bolted through ribs, or pre-drilled and screwed (I've found it almost impossible to run a 2" self-tapper through the wood and into a rib without pre-drilling).

And I haven't ever seen this mentioned, but I've attached a lot of my framework to the "backside" of the ribs....not the frontside or "face". My worst-case stress on the framework (short of a rollover or head-on collision) would be locking up the brakes, so I've put my framework in a position that during extreme braking, the wood will be pushed against the ribs, and not pulling away from them and putting all the stress on the fasteners. Not sure if this will actually help in such a situation (and don't want to find out), but it can't hurt.

The bottoms of my frames are screwed through the plywood floor AND the metal floor, for hopefully some additional strength.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Definitely concur with the above ideas.
I used cabinet screws for some to prevent splitting wood. Most of top attached with a variety of metal brackets. Flooring was straightforward after I got over putting holes in my freshly patched floor.

Good luck!Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_074945.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	27877Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_074913.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	27878
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome, thanks for the photos!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Skoolie

So glad you bought your bus! Where do you live?

I'm still lurking and close to pulling the trigger on a bus.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Long Beach, pulling the trigger was terrifying, yet liberating. I still have days where I’m like “what the eff did I do?!” And then other days I spend all day researching and dreaming of ideas for the inside.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
hi congrats! So where are you parking it?
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #11
Bus Nut

So Congrats on your new bus. I am wondering though, what part of Orange County is Long Beach in?
So where are you parking it now? As for attaching walls and such, the framework in my bus is being built out of 6061T6 TIG welded and pop riveted with redheads. The feeling is that building it somewhat like an airframe will give rigidity and strength.
There are a thousand ways to do it right. If you are comfortable with TEK drives go for it. My suggestion if you are doing a lot of wood to metal is to drill pilot holes. Well worth the extra time imho.

Good Luck!!

Joe
Old 12-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
hi congrats! So where are you parking it?
Trying to figure that out, I’m active duty, so the seal beach weapons station has RV parking, but can’t work on it there. I see you’re in Huntington, any ideas?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Trying to figure that out, I’m active duty, so the seal beach weapons station has RV parking, but can’t work on it there. I see you’re in Huntington, any ideas?
Buy a lot for 5 to 10 k out in Riverside or Lancaster. Look for warehouse space in Compton, Dominguez hills, Long Beach, etc.. do not tell them it is for a bus behind closed doors you know.