Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Thinking about going nomad

Looking into options. Any usual mistakes y'all see people make over and over?

bamudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
Looking into options. Any usual mistakes y'all see people make over and over?
Great question for us noobs to ask
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Also, I seem to be having trouble posting a thread in the short bus forum.

Does anyone have any advise about this conversion?

Short Bus Camper (92 GMC)

Looks nice from pics from a noob's perspective, but anything I should be aware of?
Old 10-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
one of the biggest mistakes I could foresee from someone who is truly running NoMad. where the bus needs to operate and run is not having the skills, tools, and or money to incur a major repair to the bus should it happen... ie engine, transmission, etc..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
one of the biggest mistakes I could foresee from someone who is truly running NoMad. where the bus needs to operate and run is not having the skills, tools, and or money to incur a major repair to the bus should it happen... ie engine, transmission, etc..
-Christopher
I agree with that completely. But i have found that everyone knows someone who either can fix it or knows someone who can. Like the saying goes about owning a house. Its good to know an electrician a plumber and an hvac guy..lol
Old 10-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
I agree with that completely. But i have found that everyone knows someone who either can fix it or knows someone who can. Like the saying goes about owning a house. Its good to know an electrician a plumber and an hvac guy..lol
the only difference with owning a house is that typically you meet these trades over a period of years.. and your house never ends up broken down along side of I-71

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Buying a bus that does not run often ends up costing more than the price of a good running one.

Welcome, and good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I have absolutely no intention of buying anything that isn't in good running condition.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Just convert and get out there. When you're dying in your bed years from now are you going to be more pissed at yourself for wasting a bunch of money and doing what you want or sitting on your hands and doing what is "safe" and never fulfilling your dreams... You don't need as big a safety net as you think.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the only difference with owning a house is that typically you meet these trades over a period of years.. and your house never ends up broken down along side of I-71

-Christopher
You do have a point
Old 10-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Just convert and get out there. When you're dying in your bed years from now are you going to be more pissed at yourself for wasting a bunch of money and doing what you want or sitting on your hands and doing what is "safe" and never fulfilling your dreams... You don't need as big a safety net as you think.
You are so right! [emoji41]
Old 10-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
well said. don't be cheap lots of good buses out there that will cost you less in the long run
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:32 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: Blue Bird
A good place is a surplus. Ive been driving school buses for a bit now and seen that most districts take excellent care for their busses. So even seeing an old one being sold will have had all of its oil changes done, transmission in pretty good condition and body work hardly noticeable. And a small heads up, after a bus goes to the surplus auction and it doesn't sell, go directly to the garage, they normally cut the prices in half just to get them off the yard. I'm in the process of doing just that with my parish.

-Good Luck-
smilinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 6.5L Turbo
Quote:
Preach!
zelseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:29 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
SOME OF YOU DON'T HAVE BUS TRUST FUND.

If you can afford to live on your own now. Then the nomad life style can and should be less money. The amount can be argued do to places to stay and distance traveled but all in all some one very thrifty could be out there for $1500 maybe a bit less. But this shouldn't be your starting numbers but the allowance you take from your budget that your not putting into saving for Bail or towing and serious repairs.

A good girlfriend with a online job that can pay your bills is a excellent start.

I think the traveling trick is not to treat it like its vacation and try and stay in places as long as you can (free) and try and move the least distance as possible like 60 miles every week or two would be a good start. Don't worry about food or gas you'll probably drive your schoolie less than you do now going to work. your eating now so you'll be eating then.

Spend all your money on buying a low mileage bus. Don't worry about stuff breaking you can fix it while you go and you'll have more time than money if your on a budget.

PS
every one paint your bus another color or two. Drive slow you'll get some where soon. always BE READY TO SAY i APOLOGIZE I'LL MOVE RIGHT AWAY.

IF YOU NEED A FEW BUCK OR A PARK TO BE IN FOR WHAT EVER REASON ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO ASK THEM IF THERE LOOKING TO TRADE RENT FOR LABOR. You would be surprised how often trading a night or two for mowing a lawn happens.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone got any thoughts or commentary about this bus? And what a fair price might be?

BUS

I'm listening to the general advise and definitely hear y'all.