Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Freightliner F65
Engine: Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 16 Seater
Thomas FS65 / need your help please !

Hi everybody,

i'm new here - thats why first of all - compliment for the great forum within so many ideas converting an old schoolbus. as i was traveling years ago down the panamerican highway from alaska to ushuaia fireland with my tesomobil - an old converted army truck - i had a deep experience. while driving very carefully through a fresh in the rocks blasted "road" (didn't want to damage our expedition truck) we were passed by an fully packed old american schoolbus within sheeps and chickens on the roof top. there the idea of converting an old bus for the next trip was born. the purchase went quickly but then it was just parked for the last years behind the house. now i did all the necessary technical works and just before licensing the bus. the germans the german registration is demanding for datasheet of the bus which i don't have and so i am searching for anybody who could provide me with datas like weight, height, masses a.s.o.

it would be great if anybody of you guys is sitting on the same short bus and willing to help me fighting with the german authorities (not really a fight) but they are a bit inflexible. maybe there is a copy of a copy of a datasheet somewhere.

many thanks and hopw i can register my lovely bus to start conversion into a cosy camper van.

thomas
(www.tesomobil.de)
tesomobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

You should be able to get a build sheet from Thomas. Give them a call with VIN in hand.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #3

sended several emails ... also tried to get anything from daimler ... but withous success so far

but thanks for the advise ... will try again

thomas
(www.tesomobil.de)
Old 07-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesomobil View Post
sended several emails ... also tried to get anything from daimler ... but withous success so far

but thanks for the advise ... will try again
Not sure if you are dealing with the same BS but I tried to get a "compliance letter" from Diamler and it was a complete exercise in frustration. They completely refused to cooperate. We managed to import the vehicle without the letter but it was a PITA.

Best of luck in you quest.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Not sure if you are dealing with the same BS but I tried to get a "compliance letter" from Diamler and it was a complete exercise in frustration. They completely refused to cooperate. We managed to import the vehicle without the letter but it was a PITA.

Best of luck in you quest.
yep - it's a PITA your right - i presume it was better as it was pure american. sure that you could get a nice and helpy guy on phone who would solve your problems (sry my problem )

i gave it another try via email - but everything is going to the huge german company .... well known for best service

thomas
(www.tesomobil.de)
Old 07-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesomobil View Post
yep - it's a PITA your right - i presume it was better as it was pure american. sure that you could get a nice and helpy guy on phone who would solve your problems (sry my problem )

i gave it another try via email - but everything is going to the huge german company .... well known for best service
When I ran into that problem I talked to folks that had gone down the same road with other manufacturers and I think that you are correct.

Folks that had dealt with International, Ford and GM had relatively little trouble dealing with the manufacturers to get what they needed. The ones that I spoke with regarding DC/FCA had the same experience that I did.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help please!, thomas short bus 2001