Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: International Amtran
Engine: Navistar 7.3L
Thought I’d finally introduce myself.

Hey all. Been lurking for a good year. I’ve posted a few times but never introduced myself.
My wife and I bought a 99 IC Amtran last September. It has 88,000 miles, probably due to it being owned by a Private school prior.
It’s been a slower process getting this thing converted, but it’s well on its way. I’ve already titled it as a motor and have it insured.
We just had it painted and have been working on the interior. Walls are going up as we speak.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	33796Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0776.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	33797

Poggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Thanks for the introduction!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Welcome to the nuthouse. Have you verified the mileage? Highly unlikely the dash has not been replaced like 95% of the buses out there that old. Is it insured as a MH, if so, with who? Will they cover you when they see it isn't a motorhome?

Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with location and bus info
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Welcome to the nuthouse. Have you verified the mileage? Highly unlikely the dash has not been replaced like 95% of the buses out there that old. Is it insured as a MH, if so, with who? Will they cover you when they see it isn't a motorhome?

Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with location and bus info

I have not verified the mileage. Not sure how to do that yet? I insured it through Allstate. It’s titled and registered as a motorhome, so legally I’m not sure if they have an argument. [emoji2373]
Old 05-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggalicious View Post
I have not verified the mileage. Not sure how to do that yet? I insured it through Allstate. It’s titled and registered as a motorhome, so legally I’m not sure if they have an argument. [emoji2373]
You are in a very precarious position. Without the conversion it is not a MH and when you have an accident and the insurance company sees it is not converted you will find yourself without coverage. They don't care about legality, only the investment they are making in your property. I found out that State Farm could care less if I'm registered at all, if my policy is current, I'm covered.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You are in a very precarious position. Without the conversion it is not a MH and when you have an accident and the insurance company sees it is not converted you will find yourself without coverage. They don't care about legality, only the investment they are making in your property. I found out that State Farm could care less if I'm registered at all, if my policy is current, I'm covered.

For all they know, it was already converted and I’m just re-building out the interior. [emoji23]
Old 05-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I did the same thing and was covered through Allstate - while converting and now. My agent said that as long as I had removed the seats and was in the process of converting it, I was covered with liability.

That’s a nice looking bus.

Most diesel mechanics can plug into your engine computer to verify mileage. Some will do it for free. Some will charge crazy amounts...

Truck stops are usually helpful to me - I have gotten a lot of help from them. Small town diesel mechanics are also more of a go to for me.

That’s my opinion - and it works for me.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I did the same thing and was covered through Allstate - while converting and now. My agent said that as long as I had removed the seats and was in the process of converting it, I was covered with liability.

That’s a nice looking bus.

Most diesel mechanics can plug into your engine computer to verify mileage. Some will do it for free. Some will charge crazy amounts...

Truck stops are usually helpful to me - I have gotten a lot of help from them. Small town diesel mechanics are also more of a go to for me.

That’s my opinion - and it works for me.

Good info! Thanks! It’s always good to have a plan out on the road for sure. I also invested in Coach-Net as well, for roadside.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggalicious View Post
For all they know, it was already converted and I’m just re-building out the interior. [emoji23]
For all they know now. My point being if you need them before it's completed, you're toast. I'm in the same boat with only a liability policy for an RV, but it's not converted and sitting in the driveway while converting so it's not really an issue for me until it's done and State Farm takes it over.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
For all they know now. My point being if you need them before it's completed, you're toast. I'm in the same boat with only a liability policy for an RV, but it's not converted and sitting in the driveway while converting so it's not really an issue for me until it's done and State Farm takes it over.

Yeah. I’m driving it down to SD to finish it this summer. It won’t go anywhere until then.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
Bus Geek

The fact that State Farm insurance covers me for 7 days in any vehicle I buy under my current policy. This is such a huge aggravation saver when buying buses. They will not insure my bus as a bus, but does cover liability for 7 days to get it home. That can't be beat.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:45 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post

There are devices that plug into your diagnostic port. One is https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/ and another is https://bluefire-llc.com/non-trucks.html.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote