Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 18
Talking Total Newbie to buses.

Hello! I am new to this whole bus thing. I have been interested in tiny houses for many years now but the whole idea of turning a bus into a house sounds like a much more all in one package that doesn't require a massive pickup truck to tow. I have no idea where to start, I don't have a bus, but I do like to make things. All I know is that I have access to just about any tool imaginable, I have experience in aircraft body work (which may be useful if I raise the roof of the bus???), and I can build anything.

Any recommendations on where to start and where to buy a bus would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

~Camden
GoobTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,439
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howdy Camden...and welcome! --- I would suggest you complete the info in your profile so we know where you are located. Will make a big difference regarding suggestions and help.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Rovobay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Damascus, OR
Posts: 280
Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Welcome Camden,

You are definitely in the right place to learn about skoolie builds. I personally purchased my bus on a government auction site. the 2 most popular are https://www.govdeals.com/ and https://www.publicsurplus.com/ . Like Tango said fill out where you are from and we can suggest local places.
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 2,913
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Use the search bar above to find the threads on "Places to buy a bus" and "What kind of bus should I buy. That'll be a big step in getting started.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Howdy Camden...and welcome! --- I would suggest you complete the info in your profile so we know where you are located. Will make a big difference regarding suggestions and help.
Thanks for the quick response! I live in Central Florida. I wouldn't mind driving anywhere in the state but the closer the better obviously!
GoobTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 1,892
Asking questions is the best thing you can do to help you make a decision.


Among the questions you need to ask:
  • How many will be going along with you and sleeping in the bus
  • How do you plan to use it--rarely move it, move it occasionally, move it a lot
  • Where do you plan to use it--mountains in the winter and deserts in the summer, or mountains in the summer and deserts in the winter
  • How many miles do you plan to drive it in a year--1000 miles per year or 1000 miles per week
  • What roads do you plan on traveling--always on the interstate system, sometimes on the interstate system, or never on the interstate system
  • Will you always be on pavement, mostly on the pavement, or off pavement a lot out at the ends of roads
Once you have nailed down the parameters of what your bus will need to accomplish for you the next thing you will then need to decide on is what size will work the best for you.

At that point we will be better able to suggest what buses to consider.

Regardless of what you decide will work the best there are two caveats to always keep in mind.

First, do NOT fall in love with any one particular bus. There are some unicorn buses out there that are pretty special. But new buses are delivered every day of the week all year long which means old buses are being retired every day of the week all year long. If you miss one that you really wanted another one will come along.

And second, no matter how attractive the price might be, do NOT purchase a bus with rust. The cost of rust repair will eat up any savings in original purchase price very quickly. And like cancer rust is virtually impossible to eliminate.

Good luck and happy trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 18
Thanks for the things to thing about! This is really helpful. The reason I am considering a bus is because I am planning on becoming essentially a traveling tradesman. Likely doing work on power plants and the like. So I could safely say that 90 percent of driving would be interstate driving on pavement obviously, and that a high end estimate would be 9000 miles a year.
I am still considering the feasibility of this and have no idea if buses are capable of this.
GoobTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 2,913
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobTheGreat View Post
Thanks for the things to thing about! This is really helpful. The reason I am considering a bus is because I am planning on becoming essentially a traveling tradesman. Likely doing work on power plants and the like. So I could safely say that 90 percent of driving would be interstate driving on pavement obviously, and that a high end estimate would be 9000 miles a year.
I am still considering the feasibility of this and have no idea if buses are capable of this.
Buses are capable of this if you find one with the correct motor and transmission. The most popular drive train in buses are the Cummins 5.9 with an Allison AT545 transmission. This is a school bus route drive train and not conducive to mountain passes or sustained high highway speeds. You would want a sort of Transit bus, Ideally with an Allison 3060 that has an optional open 6th gear for keep cruising RPM down and lockable converters with overdrive.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,896
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobTheGreat View Post
Hello! I am new to this whole bus thing. I have been interested in tiny houses for many years now but the whole idea of turning a bus into a house sounds like a much more all in one package that doesn't require a massive pickup truck to tow. I have no idea where to start, I don't have a bus, but I do like to make things. All I know is that I have access to just about any tool imaginable, I have experience in aircraft body work (which may be useful if I raise the roof of the bus???), and I can build anything.

Any recommendations on where to start and where to buy a bus would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

~Camden

There are lots of good deals if you watch the auction sites. I'd avoid ANYTHING built after 2003/2004 due to the emissions complexity and general lower quality of build.
While bus shopping you'll find these low mileage, late model buses for what seem like great prices. Don't let those entice you. They're crap.
Just my opinions.

You're local. Come on out to Apopka/Sorrento sometime and we'll have a beer or two or three.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 18
By transit bus you means something like a Ford Econoline with the weird bubble shaped passenger area on the back and not a city bus correct?
GoobTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.