Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: 71
Trigger pulled

HI Everyone.
Well the wife and her dog said to pull the trigger on the skoolie project
We drove ours back last week.
Freightliner chassis with Thomas school bus build.
Cat diesel motor, Allison transmission, hydraulic disc brakes....and of course a little rust. Only 96,000 miles and a lot of dreams hanging on it.

I have a military background and enjoyed ham radio for a while. I was a certified welder and a Journeyman Sheet metal mechanic. Presently my bones can't take a lot of daily hammering so a few years ago I got my CDL working for Haliburton in the oil fields and presently haul overweight hazmat cause the work is easy on me and the pay is good.

So I pulled out the drafting equipment and started figuring out the layout options when I was asked where her walk in Pantry was going......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0772.JPG   IMG_0781.JPG   IMG_0795.JPG   IMG_0797.JPG  

Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome, Trout.

Guess you have some reading to do. My wife wanted NOTHING to do with the bus until I started looking at flooring, colors, appliances...

1) get bus mechanically sound- it's a trailer if it can't go from point A to Point B without a tow vehicle

2) Tear-out/clean-up and tackling rust

3) Address too many windows, learn to rivet.

4) Insulate

5) Build out.

5.5) Paint

6) RV plates
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Welcome Trout. I just got my bus this week as well. I look forward to watching your progress. Our bus is "Eternity.".
T-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:16 AM   #4

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: 71
Ive been working on the name... Brook trout have a nickname of Square Tail so I was thinking of Square Tales, angling adventures in progress
Trout Tales works as well
This will take some time as our house needs work after evicting tenants. Lots of damage and they even tried to steal the washing machine.
However, I need to figure out the paint products to use. Rust conversion as I won't be grinding it down to shinny steel, just wire brushing with my grinder real well.
Original thought was (from the rear) garage, bedroom, shower on right, toilet on left with washing machine. Kitchen forward of that into the living room.
We're probably going with composting toilet and gray water tank. If I can get the reserve watt capacity there will be a magnetic induction cook top. It can draw a bit of energy, but they heat up the pan very fast and they aren't on for very long.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote