Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
If the number for the Crown is correct it was dejivered new to Safeways in CA in 1980
Did you ever get a chance to look into that build sheet?
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

What specifically do you want to know?
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
What specifically do you want to know?
I finally found my engine rating sicker on the side of the block. It had come undone and was resting under the fuel pump. So now I know my HP rating.
I'm DYING to know more about the bus though. The axle ratio- I think its in the high 4's. But nothing has the axle ratio listed.
I'm not even sure of the fuel capacity. I think its 65 gal.
If you could look up my build sheet, Id be super GRATEFUL!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: SuperCoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Hmm then there's a discrepancy between the seller and the documentation. *shrug* I'll figure this one out in person.

This week I've been setting up what I think I'll need to bring the bus back from Virginia to MA. I'm a click away from buying insurance (Progressive). The crown is already registered as an motorhome (yay no CDL) so that should help at the RMV (even though the bus is mostly already gutted of its living appliances by the seller).

From reading these forums (and the DMV website) I found that I need the following:
-Insurance, to drive around
-Bill of Sales, to show I bought it
-Title and/or Registration

I've read of people on here who rode home w/o plates and that MA doesn't give out temp plates. In my scenario where the bus is already Registered as an RV, does this apply? Should I just show up at an RMV with the above docs and the bus and say "here you go, update your systems, I own this now"? In its current empty state I don'd think it would pass an "RV Inspection." Should I hold off until I've added those features back in?

Did I miss anything? Something that I am naive about or should prep for? I pickup the Crown this weekend with a friend. *EXCITED!*
SquidBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBat View Post
Hmm then there's a discrepancy between the seller and the documentation. *shrug* I'll figure this one out in person.

This week I've been setting up what I think I'll need to bring the bus back from Virginia to MA. I'm a click away from buying insurance (Progressive). The crown is already registered as an motorhome (yay no CDL) so that should help at the RMV (even though the bus is mostly already gutted of its living appliances by the seller).

From reading these forums (and the DMV website) I found that I need the following:
-Insurance, to drive around
-Bill of Sales, to show I bought it
-Title and/or Registration

I've read of people on here who rode home w/o plates and that MA doesn't give out temp plates. In my scenario where the bus is already Registered as an RV, does this apply? Should I just show up at an RMV with the above docs and the bus and say "here you go, update your systems, I own this now"? In its current empty state I don'd think it would pass an "RV Inspection." Should I hold off until I've added those features back in?

Did I miss anything? Something that I am naive about or should prep for? I pickup the Crown this weekend with a friend. *EXCITED!*
I'd deal with an actual agent. Progressive are known for cancelling after a week or two. I drove mine without tags, but had ins, bos, and title.
What kind of discrepancy are you talking about?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Before I spent any more $$$ I would make sure I had legal title to the bus.

There have been more than a few horror stories of people spending untold hours and $$$ on a project only to find that the title was in question and the new owner was never able to title and register it in their name.

In other words, all of their hard work and $$$ was to no avail.

In order to get more info on your bus it will require paying Pacific Bus Museum to have one of their curators to copy and send the info directly to you. They have everything on your bus including the line setting ticket and progressive reports from the production line.

Most Crowns had 100 gallon fuel tanks. There should be a tag on the tank that will tell how large the tank is. I have never seen a Crown with a tank that held only 65 gallons.

If there is no tag on the rear end telling you what ratio you have I would guess you most likely have 3.90 gears. 3.90 gears should give you about 70 MPH at 2100 RPM's.

There are calculators online that can determine your ratio by combining tire diameter and engine speed to determine ratio.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: SuperCoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd deal with an actual agent. Progressive are known for cancelling after a week or two.
If they cancel do they refund? I guess it could be in their policy to cancel anytime but isn't that counter productive to their business? This has probably been ranted about plenty of times, I dunno what I'm talking about. So long as I get the bus back and I don't get swindled out of hundreds of dollars I'll be ok, for now. How would an agent help?

Quote:
I drove mine without tags, but had ins, bos, and title.
There's a DMV not far from where I'm picking da bus. MA RMV suggested I get temporary Virginia plates. We'll see how things go down, worst to worst I'll drive w/o plates.

Quote:
What kind of discrepancy are you talking about?
One about dates that the seller resolved for me: "According to the manufacturers plate it was built in 1978 titled in 79 and delivered in 80".

Finally, forgot to say: thanks for looking up the VIN Cowlitz!
SquidBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBat View Post
If they cancel do they refund? I guess it could be in their policy to cancel anytime but isn't that counter productive to their business? This has probably been ranted about plenty of times, I dunno what I'm talking about. So long as I get the bus back and I don't get swindled out of hundreds of dollars I'll be ok, for now. How would an agent help?

There's a DMV not far from where I'm picking da bus. MA RMV suggested I get temporary Virginia plates. We'll see how things go down, worst to worst I'll drive w/o plates.

One about dates that the seller resolved for me: "According to the manufacturers plate it was built in 1978 titled in 79 and delivered in 80".

Finally, forgot to say: thanks for looking up the VIN Cowlitz!
Progressive are notorious for cancelling those online policies for bus conversions after a short while. When I spoke to Progressive directly they informed me they don't touch conversion buses any more. I went through a local agent and insured it as a commercial coach for private use. It is a commercial vehicle policy. If they cancel, yeah you'll get a refund.
Not trying to bad vibe you or anything. I lost a bus because of this whole insurance thing. Still a bit bitter about it.

Tags
6-71, comparison, crown, dt466