Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 02:16 AM   #1

Vandweller lookin to upgrade

Hey all!
I've been living in a honda element (suv/minivan kinda thing) for about a year now. It's been great traveling around but I would kill for some room. And a toilet. Lol. xD At my job part of my work is cleaning the inside of school buses, and I keep thinking how awesome of an RV they would be. Even the short buses have a huge amount of space. Just gotta do a lot of research, figure out how everything works.

Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:36 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

yeah, cleaning... using the hose back at the bus barn when one kid throws up.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
An element? That's not really even a van! kudos to you!
Anything you get will be an improvement!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
yeah, cleaning... using the hose back at the bus barn when one kid throws up.
Lol no just sweeping dirt out. Its for a rafting company that uses school buses to transport ppl. Not a school. Thankfully. Lol
Old 06-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
An element? That's not really even a van! kudos to you!
Anything you get will be an improvement!
Technically its a truck according to the title. Lol. But the interior is more like that of a mini van than a car. You can lay down flat and straight and its possible to do a "van"type build. Its not bad, gets 30mpg and can go off road and stealth parking is easy. But i am getting tired of no space. Not sure if i will get a short bus or a long one, definitely will take some getting used to driving either way.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Technically its a truck according to the title. Lol. But the interior is more like that of a mini van than a car. You can lay down flat and straight and its possible to do a "van"type build. Its not bad, gets 30mpg and can go off road and stealth parking is easy. But i am getting tired of no space. Not sure if i will get a short bus or a long one, definitely will take some getting used to driving either way.
I'd say start small since you're used to absolute minimalism already. A 6 window shorty like mine could be made into a real palace!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
I'd say start small since you're used to absolute minimalism already. A 6 window shorty like mine could be made into a real palace!
Probably a good idea. Yeah, as long as i have room for a shitter, kitchen and a couch/bed so i can have guests over im good. XD
Old 06-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Probably a good idea. Yeah, as long as i have room for a shitter, kitchen and a couch/bed so i can have guests over im good. XD

I've got a 40 footer, and its great, but the 6 window shorty is my favorite size. I can and do drive it EVERYWHERE. Its great. My vote is search for a 5-6 window shorty on a full size chassis, not a van chassis.
BTW-I dig your screen name. I don't actually believe in deities, but that's a pretty cool one.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
I've got a 40 footer, and its great, but the 6 window shorty is my favorite size. I can and do drive it EVERYWHERE. Its great. My vote is search for a 5-6 window shorty on a full size chassis, not a van chassis.
BTW-I dig your screen name. I don't actually believe in deities, but that's a pretty cool one.
You have 2 buses? That's cool. Do you rent one of them out or something while you're in the other one?
I'm gonna try driving small ones and big ones, before I decide what to go with.
Haha, thanks. It's my actual name too.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Are you going to drive a bus up the AlCan? I don't imagine there's a fantastic selection up there.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

If one is doing rafting... upper kenai, or tustamina, yukon, or maybe at big lake... lol. There are some busses for sale around anchorage n big lake area, and even soldotna which i think uses first student who usually has something old sitting there recently out of service. Have even seen them for sale around the inlet loop toward kasilof and the big end road at homer.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Are you going to drive a bus up the AlCan? I don't imagine there's a fantastic selection up there.
Don't you mean down the alcan? :P But yeah I'm not getting a bus up here, I'm gonna wait till I head back to the lower 48.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #13
Bus Geek

That sounds like an appealing drive in a bus. With bug screens and a quart of deet of course.

I was in Ketchikan for a couple years in the early 80s. Winters were a bit cold for my taste.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
You have 2 buses? That's cool. Do you rent one of them out or something while you're in the other one?
I'm gonna try driving small ones and big ones, before I decide what to go with.
Haha, thanks. It's my actual name too.
NICE!
No I don't rent out my buses. One will be an rv when we're done and one is shorty for cruising around and running errands. Just cool to drive it around!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That sounds like an appealing drive in a bus. With bug screens and a quart of deet of course.

I was in Ketchikan for a couple years in the early 80s. Winters were a bit cold for my taste.
Haha, yes it would be great. Plenty of camping spots on the side of the road too. It's weird, everyone talks about how terrible the mosquitoes are up here but I have yet to have a problem with them. They mostly leave me alone, except they bite my feet like crazy whenever I wear sandals. lol!
That's cool! I need to go check out the rest of Alaska sometime. I've only been to Fairbanks, Denali and Anchorage. I'm working in Denali for the season.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
NICE!
No I don't rent out my buses. One will be an rv when we're done and one is shorty for cruising around and running errands. Just cool to drive it around!
Ah, so you're still building. How far along is it? I can't wait to start mine, but it's gonna be a bit. Have to save up money, and get back to my home town so I can find someone to let me build at their house. Since my house is a van, lol.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #17
Bus Geek

It's not impossible to build while you're living in the bus. Well, certain parts of the build anyway. You got to pretty well clear out during the insulation process.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
NICE!

THIS!!!! just cruising around... thatsd my style!.. I got the DEV ouit while RedByrd is in pieces.. i need to see what the latest Bus ride challenge is.. maybe I can give that bus some facetime on here..

the ALCAN doesnt sound like a place i want to drive..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Mosquitos

Quote:
Haha, yes it would be great. Plenty of camping spots on the side of the road too. It's weird, everyone talks about how terrible the mosquitoes are up here but I have yet to have a problem with them. They mostly leave me alone, except they bite my feet like crazy whenever I wear sandals. lol!
That's cool! I need to go check out the rest of Alaska sometime. I've only been to Fairbanks, Denali and Anchorage. I'm working in Denali for the season.
Technically if you live in a city or suburban area they likely spray for mosquitos like most municipalities. Actually I talk to a lot of people that have never encountered the giant mosquitos. Probably has something to do with the time of year.

Are you working for the park service?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Welcome to Skoolie.net from Northern British Columbia.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

BTW I picked up my bus from a place called "Toad River" just north of Fort Nelson. It was a nice drive home to Prince George BC.
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote