Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #1

Red face Very New Here, Anxious

Hello everybody, I just found this forum the other day after starting research onto living in a bus. I remember years ago when I dabbled in alternative living spaces I had come across buses but never gave them much mind. Now I live a very different life, and the thought is very temping, but very nerve racking.

My name is Seth, I'm a soldier in the US Army currently serving in Maryland. While the Army provides me with more than adequate living arrangements one day my time will come and I'll leave. When that time comes I don't know where I'll end up, or where I'll make my forever home. Somehow as if the wires just happened to cross right I noticed a bus on craigslist and the idea hit me. What if I just MOVE the house till I know where I want to settle down. The idea makes me feel like a madman, living in a bus makes me seem like some kind of crazy veteran, but the logic is there and I don't see any major flaws. Just successful happy people. I've since put my nose to the grindstone lurking the back pages of this forum trying to figure out how to do it, how each detail of the buses are planned and executed. I still see no reason why this WOULDN'T be a good idea for me... so maybe then it is a good idea?

If I did my bus it would certainly be different than most of your guy's off grid campers. Mine would be more sort of an ongrid house that happens to roll by it's own power? I work in the MI corp now, but my intent is to finish my degree in mechanical engineering and become a machinist. My intent would be to sacrifice the main bedroom of the bus to instead have room for a mill, and a lathe, running on a separate 220v shore power system, and instead sleep on the folding couches all of you seem so fond of. Or some other type of creative folding bed solution.

If anyone has any advice, experience, or reference to detailed construction, electrical articles they'd like to share please do. I'm really just starting out. I understand the basic concepts but not in such a way that I would dare take the leap without knowing my plan is bulletproof. I understand your guy's designs and I can even see serious parallels between each. I have so many questions I can't even begin to detail them. Love to hear from you thanks.

CapnFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Welcome aboard.

You've already learned the secret....read, read, and read some more. The people on this site are not only knowledgeable ALL of the time, they're brilliant MOST of the time. And if you can't find an answer, ask the question.....somebody here has been there and done that.

Good luck!

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Do your research. Make sure you can find a place to park and build it, let your imagination take over! Welcome aboard.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

I would second the vote for finding a place to park your bus while you are converting it. Most storage facilities frown on any significant work being done while on the premises.

I have seen a lot of different floor plans over the years. The ones that had a rear garage would seem to be a better choice in a layout for what you want to do. The ideal layout would include a wheelchair lift in the curb side rear corner so you can lift heavy projects in and out of the bus easily. A wheelchair lift will make installing heavy machine tools into the bus as well.

As far as a 220-vac connection, the highest amp connection you will normally find in any sort of RV park will be a 50-amp service. I don't know that I know how it is separated into 110-vac but some of that 50-amp service could be plugged into as 220-vac instead of 110-vac.

You have figured out some of the more important parts of this bus craziness. Ask questions before you do anything is always a good idea.

Good Luck and Thank You for your service.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me, military, new bus, noob