Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66 passengers
We bought a bus! A couple of kids and a dog in NE Florida

Hi Everybody! I've been prowling this site for about the last four months but am finally saying hello. Many thanks to all of you with your great ideas and guidance. My fiancee and I just bought a bus about two weeks ago, brought it home last weekend and are starting our conversion. I'm a Captain on Ecotourism Boats in Alaska and more recently, North Florida and my fiancee, Sarah, is a voracious traveler and a generally awesome, hardworking person. We decided to buy a bus about two and a half months ago right before we left Juneau, Alaska because we thought it would be a great fit for our nomadic lives together. We came to North Florida for the winter (rather than wintering in our preferred habitat in the PNW or Alaska) because of the great weather for working outside and because a large part of my immediate family still live in N. Georgia and N. Florida. Being a nomad, I haven't seen most of them for upwards of two years, we figured we'd check all the boxes by moving here for the winter: build a bus without snow in our way, see family and keep driving boats in non-ice-choked waterways.

We have kind of an aggressive (or some would say optimistic) build schedule and want to have our ride "In Transit" liveable by the end of March. We have all of the seats out, about half the ceiling panels out and a bunch of electrical gremlins sorted out and it's just the first week. Our bus will have a shower, composting head, generator, inverter, apartment fridge, propane range, on-demand propane water heater, wood stove, two battery 230 ah bank with alternator and generator charging and inverter with solar input. Not really sure about water capacity or tankage arrangement yet but definitely want a hefty pump with a pressure tank. Haven't sorted out the solar arrangement but if it doesn't happen this winter, it'll happen by the end of the summer.

We really look forward to getting to know you all better and look forward to meeting at least some of you on the road to Alaska in the Spring!

Cheers!

Austin and Sarah

PS: We just started a blog on our build and adventures and would love to get your input on our work and travels:
https://buslife.org

WanderingAppalachian is offline   Reply With Quote