Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #1

We Finally Pulled The Trigger

A big Pacific Northwest shout out to all the skoolie owners and armchair enthusiast waiting to get bit by the bug. My wife and I finally pulled the trigger on our first bus last weekend a 1995 Bluebird tc/2000 with 114,000 miles on it.

Tires are great, fires right up and purrs like a kitten. Hoping to transform it into the ultimate camping mobile for our family. Looking for ideas from rooftop deck to basic electrical and plumbing but starting with seat removal and tearing out the floor as there is a few soft spots. Any idea what is under the plywood floor on a 1995 bluebird? Also we are wondering if the ceiling really needs to be re-insulated? Picking the bus up this weekend and hoping to get started.

All of you have been an inspiration. Thanks for all the post.

Tcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome and glad to see more NW skoolie owners.
Nice choice on a mechanical engine. They’re getting harder to find.
It’s likely there is metal sheeting under the plywood floor. Sometimes it’s a little less than metal sheeting. It’s a surprise at times, but almost certainly rusty sheet steel.
You’re going to have fun with this build, at least part of the time.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting our hands dirty. Hope to see ya around.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #5

Good Afternoon. Hoping you may be able to give me some insight into where to get insurance for my bus conversion. Apparently Allstate won't insure me with it? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Travis
Old 03-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcave View Post
Good Afternoon. Hoping you may be able to give me some insight into where to get insurance for my bus conversion. Apparently Allstate won't insure me with it? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Travis
Welcome to the site Travis! I'd recommend checking out the Titling and Insurance Section. There is a lot of discussion and experience in there. The TL/DR would be to go to an independent insurance broker and tell them you need a commercial for personal use policy. Don't mention school buses. Don't tell them it's being converted.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #7
Bus Geek

That sounds just right.

One thing I might add is do not apply for RV plates at this point. If you get RV plates you'll likely need to show that it has RV type facilities, which it does not have yet, in order to get RV insurance. It's not an RV yet and it's not a truck. Truck licensing is expensive. Regular car type plates are easy and legal, depending on your state.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome,

I have registered two buses in WA in the last two years and not had to show the conversion.

I titled and registered them immediately as RV's.

Take a minute and fill out your profile so we know where you are and bus details

Best wishes on your journey!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Maybe you've got one of those trustworthy faces?

I've heard numerous times that people had to show evidence of the facilities in their bus before they could get RV insurance.

Here I can't get RV plates unless I have the required number of facilities and systems on my bus. And yes I know others are able to get RV plates even before the seats are removed.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

I've heard numerous times that people had to show evidence of the facilities in their bus before they could get RV insurance.

Here I can't get RV plates unless I have the required number of facilities and systems on my bus. And yes I know others are able to get RV plates even before the seats are removed.
Insurance is usually tougher on the details than the DMV. Once you leave DMV they are pretty much through with you. Insurance has a more personal relationship with you.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

I would guess that they were not in Washington. Things do vary significantly by state.

Washington does have similar requirements but they do not check. I was ready with easily r&r'ed: bed, toilet etc but I did not need them. Just signed the affadavit and was done.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I would guess that they were not in Washington. Things do vary significantly by state.

Washington does have similar requirements but they do not check. I was ready with easily r&r'ed: bed, toilet etc but I did not need them. Just signed the affadavit and was done.
I’m in Washington also. When I did the title change and registration I didn’t have to sign anything. I asked them to retitle it as a motorhome and they did. Gave me my plates, took my money, and that was it.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Oklahoma is an affidavit state, no checks.

I signed the document detailing the changes I was making "on or about" the date I signed it.

If anyone asks, I made the changes and have pulled them all out for upgrading.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Things could have changed since it's been some years since I applied for RV plates for a bus. Previously you had to have four out of seven ammenities/appliances in the vehicle to qualify as an RV. Back then they did not consider a composting toilet to be a real fixture.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Things could have changed since it's been some years since I applied for RV plates for a bus. Previously you had to have four out of seven ammenities/appliances in the vehicle to qualify as an RV. Back then they did not consider a composting toilet to be a real fixture.
There is an issue with composting toilets. State regs haven't caught up, but that shouldn't be much of an impediment in most places as they usually give a list, and you don't have to have everything on the list.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote