Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Mechanical
Smile Welp I took the plunge! Bought a 1992 BlueBird Flatnose

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to show off the bus and see what y'all thought. So I don't know too much about buses yet but its a 1992 Bluebird, I believe its real close to 40ft, Cummins 5.9 with a little more than 26k miles is what we are guessing. It has been a Texas bus the whole time from Lufkin ISD and used as a back up bus. Air brakes and seems pretty solid. My first order of business is to pull the seats and paint it so if anyone has any hints on painting it let me know. I plan on doing the rustoleum oil based paint and there is one where they mixed the roof paint with something to help prevent leaks. Well i guess that is it for the first post. Thanks for being a BIG resource for my purchase and i look forward to the build of my Skoolie now.

I tried to upload two photos but they failed. I did it according to accepted type and size with no joy but I will try later from internet explorer or something

mgbstyle65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Nice score, i was just up late last night reading up on that 5.9 Cummins motor. I love me a straight six, goodness they are strong.If you email me pictures to carytowncraigslista@gmail.com i will post links to the pictures here. I have yet to have a picture upload not fail here.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
Skoolie

Wow, a 1992 with only 26k? How did that happen? Did it have an engine swap later in life? Even for a bus kept in reserve, thats an incredible find. Good buy!
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. I forgot to tell everyone, I got it for $2900. Right now I am going off of what the guy told me. The odometer read 12k something, the driver rear hub reads 26k and the passenger reads 30k, so if anyone could explain the difference it would be much appreciated, and I am going to do my own research to see if I can find some records on it. He buys a lot of these bus from that school district to send to South America and had 3 he bought that the guy could not get right now so he was selling them. The engine looks great and runs great. The tire tread looks ok but they are older and I will need to replace them but I really think I got a great deal. What I would have 'liked' to have been on the bus also? Storage underneath, but I will add and a wheelchair lift for the 250cc motorcycle I will be carrying with me in my shop at the back, I am going to look for a possible lift gate that can double as a porch on the back of the bus.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Clean it up and sell it to someone else! Take the money and buy a bus with great tires and a lift. I bought a 98 Ford/Thomas with 123k, excellent radial tires, was a tailgating bus. Has AC wiring and lights and plugs, to large bench seats 14 ft long and a bathroom with a porta potty, Small dorm style fridge and a 5500 Watt Troy bilt generator 5.9 Cummins in excellent shape with a MT643 Tranny. Had a bad 6 ft section of exhaust and i paid $3000.00. I forgot to mention the terrible peeling paint job. I have it about 1/2 sanded and painted with Rustoleum Professional.

Plenty of buses out there.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Clean it up and sell it to someone else! Take the money and buy a bus with great tires and a lift. I bought a 98 Ford/Thomas with 123k, excellent radial tires, was a tailgating bus. Has AC wiring and lights and plugs, to large bench seats 14 ft long and a bathroom with a porta potty, Small dorm style fridge and a 5500 Watt Troy bilt generator 5.9 Cummins in excellent shape with a MT643 Tranny. Had a bad 6 ft section of exhaust and i paid $3000.00. I forgot to mention the terrible peeling paint job. I have it about 1/2 sanded and painted with Rustoleum Professional.

Plenty of buses out there.
Na, I am pretty happy with my purchase and have shop around quite a bit. I want to get started! , thanks for the advice though.