Old 03-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

WHAT ARE WE DOING??? (Florida)

We just informed our landlord that we will not be renewing our lease and will be moving out in April. Why did we tell him that?

BECAUSE WE'RE CRAZY AND HAVE DECIDED TO BUILD A SKOOLIE!!!

U + ME = US
My name is Danny and my wife is Amanda. We're both 26 and will have been married 1 year this coming Monday (03/13/2017). We currently live on the west coast of Florida. My wife has about a 50/50 split between school and work and mine is more of a 90/10 split with work taking almost all of my time.

Anywho, we have decided to move out of our awesome apartment close to downtown and into a 40ft(?) school bus along with our two dogs (Ophelia | Marty McFly) and rabbit (Walter). Oh yeah, we don't have a bus yet, nor the money to buy one. Yay! Go us!

The Man/Woman With The Plan
Here's what we're thinking about doing:

1. Move out of our apartment and into my mother in law's house with 4 women, two dogs, and one cat. We'll be living in a converted porch and all sharing one bathroom. I don't see how this could go wrong at all! Hopefully we'll only be here for around 3 months tops.

2. Pool money from selling two of my old cars, left over work bonus money and our tax refund to buy a bus. We're hoping to spend around $5k-$6k on a bus. Fortunately we have a couple businesses locally that sell school busses so we won't have to travel far.

3. Register the bus as an RV and park it in my mother's backyard until it's done. Hopefully we'll be living in her house during that time, but if not we'll be sleeping in the bus (shhh!). Her house is going through a major remodel so we can't live in it currently.

Are we crazy for doing this??? Our families sure think so! To be honest, we think so too! We're super scared actually! We just have to keep reminding ourselves that we have God and our families there to help and back and support us. The next 2 years will be amazing and terrible at the same time (terribly amazing?), but I'm confident we can make this happen.
danielramirez546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Your family members are correct. You are indeed both quite insane. But then, we're all mad here...so...WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE !!!

And this calls for one of my all-time favorite quotes...

But I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
"How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

Lewis Carroll,
Alice in Wonderland
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
You're using student loan money to buy a bus?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
You're using student loan money to buy a bus?

'Borrowing' might be a better word. Once we get our tax refund in a two weeks, that money's going back for the student loan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielramirez546 View Post
'Borrowing' might be a better word. Once we get our tax refund in a two weeks, that money's going back for the student loan.

I should probably change that 'student loan' to just tax refund. Don't wanna give the wrong idea!

Old 03-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
No problem Danny. I just got the impression, there's got to be a better way of financing your dreams. Remember, CASH IS KING.........most of the time.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Your family members are correct. You are indeed both quite insane. But then, we're all mad here...so...WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE !!!

And this calls for one of my all-time favorite quotes...

But I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
"How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

Lewis Carroll,
Alice in Wonderland

HA! It was a spot on quote if ever there was one!

Old 03-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Love your ideas.. but wow tight timelines.. I would not want to be under that pressure and be forced to spend more for a bus just so you can get it quicker as opposed to findind one on auction taking your time.. (I went the dealer route as i wanted / needed a bus quick last year).. I have a great bus.. just paid more than I would have if i researched and took my time..

I go between st pete downtown and columbus ohio all the time.. (have an apt in st pete downtown).. so if you ever want to meet up for a bite to eat or just talk busses....

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Love your ideas.. but wow tight timelines.. I would not want to be under that pressure and be forced to spend more for a bus just so you can get it quicker as opposed to findind one on auction taking your time.. (I went the dealer route as i wanted / needed a bus quick last year).. I have a great bus.. just paid more than I would have if i researched and took my time..

I go between st pete downtown and columbus ohio all the time.. (have an apt in st pete downtown).. so if you ever want to meet up for a bite to eat or just talk busses....

-Christopher

Well the timeline is pretty flexible since we're living with our families. They're more of our 'personal goals', where we'd like to be at certain points on time. I feel like I might have skipped some info in my original post. We're planning on this taking about a year at least. 3 months with my mother in law til we get the bus and the rest with my mother while working on the bus.

But where can we go for the bus auction???

Old 03-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I know theres a thread here somewhere that lists the major auction sites.. most bus auctions are online bidding.. the busses are all over the USA.. not saying you have to do it that way.. or you may not find the bus you want.. its another avenue and option that can potentially save you some money...

you can try seeking the forum for govdeals, public surplus, 422sales, onlinepros, those are the big ones that sell off busses as schools want to unload them.. someone made up a nice thread with the web address for auction sites, i just cant remember the name of the forum thread,
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote