Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Where Can I Find A Bus Newbie's

Seems like this is more often than not the first question asked, If your going to take the time give yourself a title take another 20 seconds & fill in your town & state info, That will help a lot in passing on pertinent info,, My rant for the day.

:flow ers:

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Here, here. I'll second that.

Calling all newbs. Please fill out your info so we at least know where you're at, even if you don't have a bus yet.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Don't have to give a street address but a city & state might narrow things down by about
4000 miles.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I can't believe the SAME stuff getting asked every day, sometimes more than once in a day. Do people still not know how google works?
When I bought my project bus, I already had done a TON of reading and had familiarized myself with the products I was looking at/for. It wasn't hard, and I was able to make an informed decision when it came time to purchase.
What gets me are threads where someone's bought a bus without knowing ANYTHING about buses then asks "did I get a good deal/bus".
End rant.
Flowers.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

CB, this thread is basically a rant directed towards Newbs that don't fill out at least their location information, not to mention bus info if they've got one. There's so many people joining every day that don't fill anything out on their profile. They often talk about their bus as if we're supposed to know what they're talking about with absolutely no back information.

You know the deal. It's like pulling teeth to get information.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
CB, this thread is basically a rant directed towards Newbs that don't fill out at least their location information, not to mention bus info if they've got one. There's so many people joining every day that don't fill anything out on their profile. They often talk about their bus as if we're supposed to know what they're talking about with absolutely no back information.

You know the deal. It's like pulling teeth to get information.
I know that, man.
But one good rant deserves another, sir.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
You mean, I can't just ask where I can buy a bus and assume you know where I live? Aren't you psychic?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
You mean, I can't just ask where I can buy a bus and assume you know where I live? Aren't you psychic?
Agreed. I assumed they were psychic......they seem to know everything else, don't they?

Maybe their omniscience has blind spots.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I took that psychic 101 class in college. Didn't seem to take. The teacher should have known that already.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 96
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I can't believe the SAME stuff getting asked every day, sometimes more than once in a day. Do people still not know how google works?
When I bought my project bus, I already had done a TON of reading and had familiarized myself with the products I was looking at/for. It wasn't hard, and I was able to make an informed decision when it came time to purchase.
What gets me are threads where someone's bought a bus without knowing ANYTHING about buses then asks "did I get a good deal/bus".
End rant.
Flowers.
It is the short attention span of today. I am definitely still a noob and am ready to buy when the right one comes. Been stalking all the threads trying to inform myself on pertinent info. (Thanks everyone for your commitment! )

Have been thinking about starting a thread covering all the basic info that most people ask. Letting all the pros add their 2 cents in one collective location.

But not sure if that would be well accepted or not.
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
we have several threads with great info but people dont read it... and most people dont knowe how to use the google method of forum searching (as forum search itself sucks.. but google site search is a great way to do it)..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
It is the short attention span of today. I am definitely still a noob and am ready to buy when the right one comes. Been stalking all the threads trying to inform myself on pertinent info. (Thanks everyone for your commitment! )

Have been thinking about starting a thread covering all the basic info that most people ask. Letting all the pros add their 2 cents in one collective location.

But not sure if that would be well accepted or not.
Been done before. Its buried over and over. Its the utter rehash on here that gets some folks a little annoyed, imo.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/so-...rst-11647.html
Old 05-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Well, people want to know exactly what to do so they can have a beautiful and dependable bus, by next month. I've got to love some of the timelines.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, people want to know exactly what to do so they can have a beautiful and dependable bus, by next month. I've got to love some of the timelines.
LOL "I want to finance a bus, I want it by next week for a two year trip across north and south america".
Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Now Now, I gave myself a 2 yr time line thinking that was reasonable, It's been 3 yrs now & I figure I'm about 2 yrs behind.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

My original grip is where can I find? Well where the hell are you?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

I firmly believe that one of the things we will all be judged on by the Great Goddess of Karma is how well we suffer fools. This is one of the things I've always liked about this community, is that they do it well. If someone asks a question for the 40th time, we pretty much acknowledge that it's the first time - for them, and point them to an answer or 5.

I completely agree about newbies and their lack of responsibility about poking around before they jump in. I'm glad that we chose to blow off steam here, rather than on their thread entitled "Where you all buy your buses?". Perhaps if we had a sticky right at the top of this forum that said "FAQ - Read Before You Ask" or similar. The one we have now is about respectfulness, and degenerates into the silliness we all know and love by the end of the first page. Maybe not the first impression we want to make (or maybe it is; there have been folk who just didn't understand this place and went silent pretty quick).

There is a place in here that lists all the bus vendors we know of, good or bad. Good luck finding it. "Unaffiliated buses for sale" is a great thread, but ya gotta know it's there. And there's lots and lots of good information in threads that have titles that have no bearing on that information. If nothing else, we are good at thread drift.

So the next time some newbie does something newbie-ish, try to realize that for a first-timer this place might look like a hall of mirrors.

Just sayin'.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
Bus Geek

I can't speak for others, but newbs are not that offensive. There's lots of forgiveness for newbs because they simply don't know what they're doing yet.

The problem, as I see it, is as follows;
1. Coming here simply to exploit mechanical knowledge of the forum, then leaving.

2. People that actually place orders for information in their first post. They want forum members to gather information for them and present it for consideration.

3. Opening thread after thread after thread.

4. Making a build thread for other forums based on information from this forum.

This site is actually designed to be exploited for build information. It's a shame that many don't feel the need to contribute anything back to the forum.