Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #1

Where do I begin?

Hello and Good Morning everyone,

My name is Kayla and even tho I don't have her ... yet, I'd like to name my skoolie "Louise" after the character from my favorite show "Bob's burgers."

Anyways, I want to make this short and quick (have a feeling it won't be but lets try) So here it goes:

I am 23 turning 24, in just a few months. I work full time at a court house and I know I'm young but I am T-I-R-E-D tired. I have been in and out of school trying to get my associates for the past 5 years and I'm honestly just tired of my life. Been suffering from anxiety & depression, acquired some debt and it's just been a mess the past couple of years. Well, last week I was scrolling through YouTube and found someones channel about "van life" did some research and found the "skoolie world" and fell in love with the idea instantly.

I've been trying to down size my life for a while now, I want to live "minimal" and while I'm young I want to see the world, but working full time and being in school obviously makes it difficult. I am so totally willing to live the skoolie life; I found websites, and even route maps to take when the process is complete.

I really just need some support from other people like me that wanted this life and went out and got it. I'm a girl and so I know people are going to look at me crazy, but I honestly don't care. I've told a few friends, and some family and I got nothing but laughs and bad vibes (like they don't believe in me) that sucks. For once in my life I actually have something to live for.

So I created this account in hopes of getting all the help, love and encouragement possible. Doubts will come (they already have) but if I could pack up and leave tomorrow, oh I would. Well I'm going to stop talking now so I can give someone a chance to hopefully respond to this ranty thread.

Thanks for reading if you have ! All comments are welcomed, questions too .

Kayla&Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome youngster!
You CAN do whatever you put your mind to in this life.

When looking for a bus- be PICKY. Spend a lot of time reading through all these bus buying threads, ask questions. Figure out what a GOOD bus is, then you'll know what to look for.
It doesn't take a ton of money to get started, but owning a bus is pretty costly, in general. At least I think so.
Where are you located?

Do you like motivational videos? Here's one I like-

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
His luck on the journey! It is way more work and more expensive than I anticipated but no regrets so far. I think that the hardest part is the interconnected nature of everything and the fact that even if you have a plan there is a lot of making it up as you go. Having a place to work on it that has power and water is a big help, and I agree that you have to be picky. There are a lot of busses out there and some are way better than others. It is possible to be too picky though, and may say no to everything. It depends on your personality type as to whether you need to be afraid of waiting forever or rushing in. Somewhere in the middle is where you want to be imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
*good luck (auto correct)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #5

Thanks so much East Coast CB for responding ! I'm currently living in Maryland but I'm from Massachusetts. I'll probably end up back in MA to convert and start my journey cross country cause that's where all my family is really and I have a better chance finding someone to let me use there back yard.

also, I love motivational videos, thanks so much, I'm about to watch now.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #6

Thanks so much responding, definitely taking everything into consideration. I don't want anything super big seeing that it's just going to be me, I want to start saving for a budget of 5-7,000. what do you think?
Old 10-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've got a NICE 6 window bus for sale. Its a really nice bus.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/19...-fl-19545.html

LMK if interested, I'm willing to make a deal to see it go to a good home.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: 40 foot
Engine: DT466HT 230 HP / 660 FP
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
K & L,

It warms my heart to see a young woman so ready to take this plunge. I'm sixty and just bought my bus a year ago. I still have about 2 years till my conversion is done which will just about coincide with my retirement plans. My only regret is that I didn't think of this sooner. You only live once and if you can do this at a young age, go for it with everything you've got. I look forward to reading about your purchase / progress. You already know that you can get a lot of good advice here. Best of luck to you in your endeavors! Bob
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote