Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

Talking Wisconsin Newbie

Next year I turn 40. Most guys buy a motorcycle and I'm looking for a school bus lol. After over 20 years of doing road trips and having many campers rot away I'm over it and want to build my own. Currently I'm in the research stage. I do a ton of travel for living history portrayals so we want to gives ours a vintage look. The current plan us to copy a Pullman car from the 20s. I'm also looking at caboose layouts as they are of a similar size. I hope to meet like minded films here, get some ideas and always advice is welcome. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1481494260943.jpg  

mdemar1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Just buy one of the trolly busses n u have the outside done. they are often for sale at the government auction.. n get a diesel powered one.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #3

I've thought of that. However I wasn't sure how large they were, no if the cruising speed. I'm OK at 55mphish not so much at 30 lol. Plus I haven't found any affordable. Here in Wisconsin I can get a nice school bus low miles and disel for a couple grand. The trolleys I've seen where 7or 8 and 300k+ miles. But I keep looking. Thank you
Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Yeah, those trolley style buses usually go for big bucks; tour operators pick 'em up for their businesses.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemar1978 View Post
I've thought of that. However I wasn't sure how large they were, no if the cruising speed. I'm OK at 55mphish not so much at 30 lol. Plus I haven't found any affordable. Here in Wisconsin I can get a nice school bus low miles and disel for a couple grand. The trolleys I've seen where 7or 8 and 300k+ miles. But I keep looking. Thank you
A local guy owns a trolley style bus. I've rode in it and his does 70 on the interstate. Probably regeared.
Welcome to the forum!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Subscribed !

And Welcome, my cheese-loving friend.

Sounds like you want a lot of wood i your build, make sure you get a stout platform. I'd stay away from the van-types as they have lighter components and frames. Buses are built more on a med truck platform.

Another user is doing a beautiful wood-filled build. cant find, but cool. Oak floors and treads...
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:27 PM   #7

Here is my inspiration a Milwaukee Road car. The railroad runs along the back of our property. Plus its the line my g grandma took and met my g grandfather.
I'd like to find a flat nose but so far they all seem to have the 5.9 come apart engine. My dad is a diesel mechanic and like most people he is not a fan 😎

I have some old salvaged materials. Scouting for more. We feel that most anything we should be able to fab up. Hoping to end up with a vintage vibe.

I cant wait to start and share my project. Thank you all for the suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
stream5.jpg