Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Engine: BIG ;-)
Yoo Hoo! Newbie Alert! ;-)

So Yep I just found ourselves a 95 school bus with a diesel international engine that has 33000 miles on it! 2500$ ! Just picked it up from the shop everything checks out great! guys said i can easily see that engine to 400K miles! (is that true?) wow my boys and i are stoked! we will be using it as is and converting the interior as time and money allow but for now we are already planning a trip to the black hills this weekend!! fun fun fun!! loading up the whole fandamily and taking her on her maiden voyage (with us anyways ) it was already painted black so no need to worry about that! I have an electrician friend who said he would help me with what i need for adding the auxiliary power on its own batteries free of anything in the engine or already connected. I have been searching like crazy interior ideas. have decided a basic layout and because of reading here(Thank YOu!) have discovered you can screw right into the metal!! dang! The thing I cannot figure out is how in the world do some of those buildouts get the wood to bend around the curve in the side of the roof? everytime i search i only come up with boat making sites. well I cant surely clamp anything whilst the glue dries so how does that work?
Also on a side note is there any places i should steer clear of when family camping or any sites more off the beaten path that are more preferred in the midwest region? and do you recommend getting like a CB Radio? do those work when cell phones do not? ahhh the fun of the planning
Any and alll advice or constructive criticism is welcome!
Have a super Easter weekend!!

melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:03 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Melanie,

I'm installing H.A.M. radio gear in my bus. I prefer to be able to talk all around the world, personally. It's just incase something happens I can get ahold of someone for help. Plus being a paramedic doesn't hurt either....... CB radios are good for a couple of miles on a good day unless you can ride atmospheric skip every now and then. Not the most reliable form of communication, unlike being a hammy....

As far as the wood curving - 1/8 inch plywood does wonders. Keep reading the threads for more ideas and inspirations.

Just my two cents.

M1031
Old 03-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie View Post
So Yep I just found ourselves a 95 school bus with a diesel international engine that has 33000 miles on it! 2500$ ! Just picked it up from the shop everything checks out great! guys said i can easily see that engine to 400K miles! (is that true?) wow my boys and i are stoked! we will be using it as is and converting the interior as time and money allow but for now we are already planning a trip to the black hills this weekend!! fun fun fun!! loading up the whole fandamily and taking her on her maiden voyage (with us anyways ) it was already painted black so no need to worry about that! I have an electrician friend who said he would help me with what i need for adding the auxiliary power on its own batteries free of anything in the engine or already connected. I have been searching like crazy interior ideas. have decided a basic layout and because of reading here(Thank YOu!) have discovered you can screw right into the metal!! dang! The thing I cannot figure out is how in the world do some of those buildouts get the wood to bend around the curve in the side of the roof? everytime i search i only come up with boat making sites. well I cant surely clamp anything whilst the glue dries so how does that work?
Also on a side note is there any places i should steer clear of when family camping or any sites more off the beaten path that are more preferred in the midwest region? and do you recommend getting like a CB Radio? do those work when cell phones do not? ahhh the fun of the planning
Any and alll advice or constructive criticism is welcome!
Have a super Easter weekend!!
Welcome, yall.
As much fun as I've had on CB's in my lifetime, I wouldn't say you need one at all. They're more or less relics anymore. Kind of a waste of space and redundant.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Welcome to the Skoolie site Melanie. Sounds like you got a great bus there. You're in the right place to ask questions.

M1031 is correct, 1/8 inch plywood, sometimes referred to as "luan" plywood is thin enough to go around the curves in the ceiling. Good luck with your build.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
Bus Geek

This guy covers converting a bus better than any other Youtubers. Theres at least one or two episodes detailing the ceiling and all that. Enjoy.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I've been retired from truck driving for a few years now, but even before that I quit using a CB. If you enjoy filthy language, whiners and listening to languages other than English, by all means get a CB, otherwise use a cell phone for your communication. Or probably shortwave, but I have no knowledge of that.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I've been retired from truck driving for a few years now, but even before that I quit using a CB. If you enjoy filthy language, whiners and listening to languages other than English, by all means get a CB, otherwise use a cell phone for your communication. Or probably shortwave, but I have no knowledge of that.
They've been obsolete for at least a decade or so. I used to really love going on the ol' CB.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post

IF...you already have one and it's not going to be in the way [maybe a cigarette lighter power source with a magnetic antenna] ...it MIGHT get you out of a jam if you had no cell service. I wouldn't buy one, as stated above. We have a lot of drivers that still use them, but they travel the great white north at odd ball hours of the day/night/morning...road closures sorta thing.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Melanie,

I'm installing H.A.M. radio gear in my bus. I prefer to be able to talk all around the world, personally. It's just incase something happens I can get ahold of someone for help. Plus being a paramedic doesn't hurt either....... CB radios are good for a couple of miles on a good day unless you can ride atmospheric skip every now and then. Not the most reliable form of communication, unlike being a hammy....

As far as the wood curving - 1/8 inch plywood does wonders. Keep reading the threads for more ideas and inspirations.

Just my two cents.

M1031
Nice to see another HAM! N8KOQ here... I'm pretty inactive radio-wise, but I like participating in field day every year with my Dad (WM8I) who is on the radio pretty much all the time.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:39 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
A cb radio can be useful if you are not, near the interstate or near a city.
Welcome and happy camping.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowBoxer View Post
Nice to see another HAM! N8KOQ here... I'm pretty inactive radio-wise, but I like participating in field day every year with my Dad (WM8I) who is on the radio pretty much all the time.

Sorry for the thread hijack!
Sorry for the hijack as well, KF5NZM here. I'm working with another HAM guy build his antenna from scratch at his new home. Learning lots from this experience.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
So we'll recognize you ham operators by the 40' whip antenna sticking up on the bus?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #13

Thanks!! super info folks!!! I wont buy a CB. but I will be looking into the HAM!
Our maiden voyage was awesome! went up to Mount Rushmore, handled as well as expected on the ups and downs. got great fuel milage! on the way back however my serpentine belt came off and we discovered one of the pulley wheels broke. a quick ($400) fix. I am making my must have tools and supplies list now! lol! we happened to notice the battery not charging and the engine running hot we pulled over in Kimball SD and lo and behold they have a large truck shop! whew! Overweg repair! awesome awesome guy!
Old 03-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #14

AWESOME!! thank you!

Tags
#campsite, #newbie, #skooliesrock, #thankyou