Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 5
Year: 1995
Engine: BIG ;-)
Yoo Hoo! Newbie Alert! ;-)

So Yep I just found ourselves a 95 school bus with a diesel international engine that has 33000 miles on it! 2500$ ! Just picked it up from the shop everything checks out great! guys said i can easily see that engine to 400K miles! (is that true?) wow my boys and i are stoked! we will be using it as is and converting the interior as time and money allow but for now we are already planning a trip to the black hills this weekend!! fun fun fun!! loading up the whole fandamily and taking her on her maiden voyage (with us anyways ) it was already painted black so no need to worry about that! I have an electrician friend who said he would help me with what i need for adding the auxiliary power on its own batteries free of anything in the engine or already connected. I have been searching like crazy interior ideas. have decided a basic layout and because of reading here(Thank YOu!) have discovered you can screw right into the metal!! dang! The thing I cannot figure out is how in the world do some of those buildouts get the wood to bend around the curve in the side of the roof? everytime i search i only come up with boat making sites. well I cant surely clamp anything whilst the glue dries so how does that work?
Also on a side note is there any places i should steer clear of when family camping or any sites more off the beaten path that are more preferred in the midwest region? and do you recommend getting like a CB Radio? do those work when cell phones do not? ahhh the fun of the planning
Any and alll advice or constructive criticism is welcome!
Have a super Easter weekend!!
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
M1031A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Russell, Kansas
Posts: 1,114
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Melanie,

I'm installing H.A.M. radio gear in my bus. I prefer to be able to talk all around the world, personally. It's just incase something happens I can get ahold of someone for help. Plus being a paramedic doesn't hurt either....... CB radios are good for a couple of miles on a good day unless you can ride atmospheric skip every now and then. Not the most reliable form of communication, unlike being a hammy....

As far as the wood curving - 1/8 inch plywood does wonders. Keep reading the threads for more ideas and inspirations.

Just my two cents.

M1031
__________________
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. — George Washington
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,120
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie View Post
So Yep I just found ourselves a 95 school bus with a diesel international engine that has 33000 miles on it! 2500$ ! Just picked it up from the shop everything checks out great! guys said i can easily see that engine to 400K miles! (is that true?) wow my boys and i are stoked! we will be using it as is and converting the interior as time and money allow but for now we are already planning a trip to the black hills this weekend!! fun fun fun!! loading up the whole fandamily and taking her on her maiden voyage (with us anyways ) it was already painted black so no need to worry about that! I have an electrician friend who said he would help me with what i need for adding the auxiliary power on its own batteries free of anything in the engine or already connected. I have been searching like crazy interior ideas. have decided a basic layout and because of reading here(Thank YOu!) have discovered you can screw right into the metal!! dang! The thing I cannot figure out is how in the world do some of those buildouts get the wood to bend around the curve in the side of the roof? everytime i search i only come up with boat making sites. well I cant surely clamp anything whilst the glue dries so how does that work?
Also on a side note is there any places i should steer clear of when family camping or any sites more off the beaten path that are more preferred in the midwest region? and do you recommend getting like a CB Radio? do those work when cell phones do not? ahhh the fun of the planning
Any and alll advice or constructive criticism is welcome!
Have a super Easter weekend!!
Welcome, yall.
As much fun as I've had on CB's in my lifetime, I wouldn't say you need one at all. They're more or less relics anymore. Kind of a waste of space and redundant.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
FlyboyHPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 397
Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Welcome to the Skoolie site Melanie. Sounds like you got a great bus there. You're in the right place to ask questions.

M1031 is correct, 1/8 inch plywood, sometimes referred to as "luan" plywood is thin enough to go around the curves in the ceiling. Good luck with your build.
__________________
1999 International AmTran, DT466E, MD3060
https://flyboyrv.wordpress.com/
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,120
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
This guy covers converting a bus better than any other Youtubers. Theres at least one or two episodes detailing the ceiling and all that. Enjoy.

__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
somewhereinusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Andrews,Indiana
Posts: 1,636
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
I've been retired from truck driving for a few years now, but even before that I quit using a CB. If you enjoy filthy language, whiners and listening to languages other than English, by all means get a CB, otherwise use a cell phone for your communication. Or probably shortwave, but I have no knowledge of that.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,120
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I've been retired from truck driving for a few years now, but even before that I quit using a CB. If you enjoy filthy language, whiners and listening to languages other than English, by all means get a CB, otherwise use a cell phone for your communication. Or probably shortwave, but I have no knowledge of that.
They've been obsolete for at least a decade or so. I used to really love going on the ol' CB.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
REDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ...little north of Toronto Ontario
Posts: 450
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: Freightshaker
Engine: 5.9 cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 6 passenger 2 ATV's
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I've been retired from truck driving for a few years now, but even before that I quit using a CB. If you enjoy filthy language, whiners and listening to languages other than English, by all means get a CB, otherwise use a cell phone for your communication. Or probably shortwave, but I have no knowledge of that.

IF...you already have one and it's not going to be in the way [maybe a cigarette lighter power source with a magnetic antenna] ...it MIGHT get you out of a jam if you had no cell service. I wouldn't buy one, as stated above. We have a lot of drivers that still use them, but they travel the great white north at odd ball hours of the day/night/morning...road closures sorta thing.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
TheRainbowBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Galion, OH
Posts: 290
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Melanie,

I'm installing H.A.M. radio gear in my bus. I prefer to be able to talk all around the world, personally. It's just incase something happens I can get ahold of someone for help. Plus being a paramedic doesn't hurt either....... CB radios are good for a couple of miles on a good day unless you can ride atmospheric skip every now and then. Not the most reliable form of communication, unlike being a hammy....

As far as the wood curving - 1/8 inch plywood does wonders. Keep reading the threads for more ideas and inspirations.

Just my two cents.

M1031
Nice to see another HAM! N8KOQ here... I'm pretty inactive radio-wise, but I like participating in field day every year with my Dad (WM8I) who is on the radio pretty much all the time.

Sorry for the thread hijack!
__________________
-Dan

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Alan N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gonvick MN
Posts: 255
Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
A cb radio can be useful if you are not, near the interstate or near a city.
Welcome and happy camping.
__________________
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Alan N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#campsite, #newbie, #skooliesrock, #thankyou

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.