Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Yuppie by day, Nomad by night...

Hi! I am a 26 year old designer living the 9-5 city life. My work has showers, there is free internet almost everywhere now a days and I sped most of my time at work or commuting or making art! WHY OH WHY am I paying for a life of "luxury"(internet, shower, excess furniture, depending on roommates) when I have everything I need..ugh. I dream of living in a bus!

I have about 1k so far and an old ford focus that I'm hoping to trade in for a newer shuttle bus to finance.

I have been looking at ford E-450 shuttle bus 16 passenger.

still early for me in the game and currently trying to learn as much as I can and figure out what is THE #1 most important first step.

So far-it seems like subfloring and insulation are pretty high priority. I plan on doing tons of research on here and elsewhere but if anyone feels kind enough to give a straight forward answer about what priority 1 should be Im all ears.

Thanks to everyone who made this forum possible and best of luck with your projects!

Friendbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: NaviStar DT466e 7.6
Rated Cap: 29,000
Priority number one is to save twice as much money for your build as you'll think you'll need.
XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
What engine is in the E450? If it's a 7.3 then that's awesome, if it's a 6.0 then turn around and run away.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
Second that, save, save, save. Get money then go crazy. Unless you have storage for said bus. Maybe, you plan on a multiple year build.?.?? 1k isn't even close.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
I'm in a similar boat, I have a ford thunderbird I been trying to sell all summer, to get funds for my bus. Also working and saving. Good luck! And welcome to the forum!
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestrr View Post
Second that, save, save, save. Get money then go crazy. Unless you have storage for said bus. Maybe, you plan on a multiple year build.?.?? 1k isn't even close.
I know 1k isnt even close thats why im saving
Friendbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
#1 priority is a gut check. Will you have what it takes to see the project through from beginning to end? There will be lots of obstacles arise and can you deal with them if you have limited funds and skills.
Even with all the right tools and experience there is always something that comes up that you absolutely have to work around. Can be frustrating as heck. I really don't know how people put a time frame on any conversion. If they say a year, they have no clue. There is a lot more beneath the surface to any bus, than building the interior to suit. if you have to learn everything at once or as required if you can't do the work yourself, this is an expensive and frustrating game which you will not enjoy.
Beer and friends only go so far. This is on your mind 24/7.

John