Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1966 bus? Should I???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

Just wondering what you guys think... I am really working hard on the little one, but jeez, this one has the deck and the observation deck already built. New tires, tune up and awning. I would like any input you guys could give to help me make up my mind. Maybe some of you know about this bus? It is in Statesville, NC.

Thanks.

Dom

finfan3dp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
You would probably have a lot more fun with the big bus
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
I agree with Steve! I followed yer link, though, & unless it's relisted, the sale ended May 19th. It looks as though it's worth the reserve he was asking.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I know

I know the auction is over, but I contacted him by e-mail and it is still for sale. I'm just worried about buying something that old. I am a 1967 model myself, and that would make this bus older then me. The little one we are working on now is a 1992 version, and it has it's quirks, I can't imagine what this one could have. And I also wonder if parts for such an old bus are available should it need something.

Any advice you guys could give me on this would be appreciated.

Dom
finfan3dp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Parts for that bus would be readily availible, its all mechanical-no computers or anything to deal with, the old manual transmissions are bulletproof, the only thing i can see is the engine is an inline 6, also pretty much bulletproof but probably underpowered, if you are not worried about speed and the price is right go for it! It looks like a well built bus
~B~
1979GMC6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
My bus is a 72' and parts are everywhere for these things. I wouldn't worry about that. Nothing is computer or electrically controlled so I can pretty much fix/customize anything I want. It is probably more reliable, at least in the fact that it will run even if some things aren't working right.

Owning an old bus is fun, unique, and mine has never not gotten me home. (Driven home with ign. switch probs, blown water pump, broken steering arm, and a dead battery)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
If the price is right, you could really be getting a good deal. Voice your concerns to the seller (tacfully), see if he has any kind of maintenance history on it, or receipts for any work done on it. I realize it's "let the buyer beware", but you can still be an educated buyer. He seemed willing to answer the questions posted to him on ebay so you might be able to get a feel for how confident he is of the overall mechanical condition of it.

Hey, and the rest of the guys are right, if you absolutely, 100% knew what you were getting into, it wouldn't be as much fun would it!?!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Bus Nut

You might give Greg Archambault a call. He is in Florida but on the road all the time. Maybe you will be lucky and he will be close to the bus and can take a look at it. If it has any issues he will be the one to point them out. You can get his contact info from his website.

http://flbus.tripod.com
busone is offline   Reply With Quote