Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
Bus Geek
Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: 20 things I learned today.

That dipstick tube is a REAL bugger. I just can't understand why they didn't use brass for its corrosion resistance in that case. I'm sure the engineers had their reasoning, but an oxy-acetelyne torch only served to nearly start the remaining ATF film in the pan on fire. I don't like seeing smoke coming from my tranny pan.

I do like that Allison put a drain plug in the pan. General Motors tends to not do this and it really makes for a mess. On the positive side I haven't experienced any leaks from the pan. This surprises me as I really was not able to properly put in the gasket. Couple this with the two snapped of bolts (adjacent and on a corner, of course) and I figured I'd have a gusher. I do have this to say. There is a Mopar RTV product designed for use around ATF that's available over the counter at Chrysler dealers that really is AWESOME stuff and should be in your toolbox if you plan to do any transmission work.
Skooling state at a time...
the_experience03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:40 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: 20 things I learned today.

I studied that question about motor oil in the AT545 a couple of years ago. There should be some info here if you search. In a nut shell, there was a very specific motor oil approved, and it was supposed to be an improvement. Then it turned out that this "fix" wasn't so hot after all, and they no longer recommend this "trick". And that specific grade and type of oil is hard to find, anyway. So it's back to ATF, or Synthetic ATF if you can afford it.

Keeping it clean and cool is more important.
Millicent The Bus - roof raised two feet, toy-hauler tailgate.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote