Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66
Re: 4x4s and Wheeling Rigs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
it looks chevy orange.Hey Camo its got a roof and its street legal.heres my 2wd gmc for yahttp://[img]http://www.skoolie.net/a....jpg[/img]
yeah and i cut the roof off cause i got it roled, and it is just a mountain rig. i don't want to mess with the number for the cab and frame.

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

I just got on here from doing some searching across the net on building my own toterhome. I've been wheeling for a long time in competitions in rockcrawling, rockracing, short course and more recently the King of the Hammers races. Long story short I think the skoolie is the way to go. I dont want a super long one but have my eye's on a couple of 34 passengers that I think will fit the bill. My kids are getting old enough that taking them to the races and staying in something will be more enjoyable now than trying to rough it in the enclosed trailer for a week in Johnson Valley, CA.

Here's a couple pics of my rig.

Doug Bigelow
Bigelow Motorsports
doug38s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Steve - Really dig the old Rover

Doug - That buggy looks epic! Way cool.

Besides the bus, our other hobby is overland travel in our Land Rover D1
Here are some pictures from about a year ago. The truck has changed a bit but nothing to crazy. We plan to tow this behind our bus which would allow us to use the bus as a sort of base camp.

syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Syke I just recently have started reading about Overlanding. A good school age buddy of mine owns AJIK Overland Exchange. Pretty cool company.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug38s
I just got on here from doing some searching across the net on building my own toterhome. I've been wheeling for a long time in competitions in rockcrawling, rockracing, short course and more recently the King of the Hammers races. Long story short I think the skoolie is the way to go. I dont want a super long one but have my eye's on a couple of 34 passengers that I think will fit the bill. My kids are getting old enough that taking them to the races and staying in something will be more enjoyable now than trying to rough it in the enclosed trailer for a week in Johnson Valley, CA.
Doug Bigelow
Bigelow Motorsports
Doug,
Will a skoolie have enough torque and power to pull a trailer loaded with the crawler and gear safely and at highway speeds so it doesn't take 3 weeks to get to your destination? Just curious because it would be nice to pull an enclosed trailer w/ workshop and a small car or jeep.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Thats what I have been trying to determine for awhile. I get a lot of info on set ups that are great for just going down the road but not alot of info on actual towing vehicles and towing an enclosed trailer. My 24fter usually has my buggy plus another light weight one and the usual spares. Comes right in around 10k when we go west.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 17

I could only wish for 10k
My E450 van and my 71 blazer on the trailer weigh 19,000 dry. Thats without tools, spares, camp gear etc.
Crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65

Wish I could add more about towing with my bus, but its still a work in progress. Mine is going to be my tow rig also, but will not be ready till spring. My trailer and rig weigh in about 7200lbs. I really don't think its going to change the performance of the bus by a huge difference. I have a Dt466 and a manual 7spd spicer transmission. It ran an easy 70mph home when I bought it. I drive a '99 F800 ford (line truck) for work. It has a 5.9 cummins and a eaton 6 spd. It is always near its gross weight of just over 30,000 lbs. On its own it will run 70-75mph but when it hits the hills it really slows down. Once in awhile I have used it to tow a 12,000lbs trencher and trailer behind it. Again it does fine on the flats, but then it really, really, slows down on the hills. Thought I would bring that up, since alot of school buses use that same chassis too. I think I would try and stay with a manual transmission, unless you find something with maybe the newer Allison 6pds. I've been thinking lately, if my bus pulls what I have now without much problems, I might step up to a 26' deckover pintle trailer next summer. That way maybe I can split some fuel costs and haul two rigs.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

Hey guys! My friends and I have been offroading deuce and a half military trucks for several years now. We are members of a military vehicles enthusiast group called the Steel Soldiers (www.steelsoldiers.com). There is some video of some of this on my friend's youtube page.

Here's and example:

We also run converted lawnmowers for racing / offroading (videos on same account). Just thought I would share

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

i just moved 270 miles and towed the beast behined the camo monster and on the flats i was able to do 55 and on the grades there was some that pulled the speed down to just 15-20, which i'm glad to still have all the bus heaters still in itwhich they all got used to help stop it from boil overs. but i forgot to take any pics thou sorry about that.

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

@ doug38s, nice car...

I've seen you over on Pirate, welcome aboard...

I'm trying to get my bus down to KOH this coming race... Hope to see ya there...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote