Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

71 international loadstar 1600 no fire pls help

I have an international loadstar 1600 coil is missing and partial ignition parts im on a very tight budget dont wanna throw money at it just need help in diagnosis and or parts anything helps i can get pictures or vins need to figure out what engine is in it i think its the v304 but not sure pls and thank yall not one to ask for help but in major need

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

jwrens1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
I retouch photos: this is the best I could do with that plate. I thought it might have the VIN on it, but it appears to be the plate added when they turned the truck chassis into a bus.

I would poke around the bus and look for more plates like this: usually you can find the VIN, and sometimes can find the engine and transmission types.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Ok i will work on using proper grammar and more importantly will get more info up and details thank u soo much im trying to do all this on my own just got a little overwhelming and and started this post this morning im goin to try and refine it throughout the day thank u in advance and sorry for any confusion

Old 11-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
I retouch photos: this is the best I could do with that plate. I thought it might have the VIN on it, but it appears to be the plate added when they turned the truck chassis into a bus.

I would poke around the bus and look for more plates like this: usually you can find the VIN, and sometimes can find the engine and transmission types.
Actually, that is your VIN plate.

For the engine size, look on the front of the head/block, on the driver's side. It should be cast/stamped in the head or block. It may be hard to read if the fan is obstructing it. The 262, 304, 345, and 392 engines are the same family, so many parts will work from one to the other. I do believe they are the same engines used in IH pickups so you should be able to get parts at any big-box store.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Actually, that is your VIN plate.

For the engine size, look on the front of the head/block, on the driver's side. It should be cast/stamped in the head or block. It may be hard to read if the fan is obstructing it. The 262, 304, 345, and 392 engines are the same family, so many parts will work from one to the other. I do believe they are the same engines used in IH pickups so you should be able to get parts at any big-box store.
OK, so what is the VIN? The first two stamped numbers stuck together?
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
OK, so what is the VIN? The first two stamped numbers stuck together?
In this case it is simply the "Serial Number". On a vehicle older than 1981, the VIN may not be 17 digits long.

I picked up an *OLD* camper trailer a few years ago ... the ID number was 5 digits long...
Old 11-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thank u i will be out at the bus this evening to do some more searching for plates thanks i have been using pickup for autozone search purposes they never can find a loadstar 1600 in there system i am missing the coil and the resistor that supposedly went with it ive purchased a new coil with no luck

Old 11-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrens1100 View Post
Thank u i will be out at the bus this evening to do some more searching for plates thanks i have been using pickup for autozone search purposes they never can find a loadstar 1600 in there system i am missing the coil and the resistor that supposedly went with it ive purchased a new coil with no luck

I wouldn't expect Autozone (or any of the other big box stores) to list a Loadstar ... Napa *might*, simply because they carry big truck parts. Just look up parts for a corresponding IH pickup, as most parts should be the same.

It should be able to use any commonly available coil, and I seem to recall the resistor was identical to the ones Chrysler used in the 70's ...

Some of these old IH's used Delco ignition parts ... or whatever IH got "on sale" that month when it was built.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you might be surprised to find tat an IHC dealer may just have some info on that.. im finding that the yhave lots of info on my old 1990 chassis.. and I kow a guy who got part numbers for things on his 1984 wayne / IHC by using the VIN..

now it may be with an older than 81 that they have nothing on it.. however its worth a shot to call... I use Rush truck center here in Columbus Ohio and thus far for both my busses they have been able to look everything up it was built with on the chassis end.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you might be surprised to find tat an IHC dealer may just have some info on that.. im finding that the yhave lots of info on my old 1990 chassis.. and I kow a guy who got part numbers for things on his 1984 wayne / IHC by using the VIN..

now it may be with an older than 81 that they have nothing on it.. however its worth a shot to call... I use Rush truck center here in Columbus Ohio and thus far for both my busses they have been able to look everything up it was built with on the chassis end.

-Christopher
Thank you im actually in Kentucky couple miles from Kentucky speedway

Old 11-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
Bus Nut

My 1974 chevrolet bluebird had a 13 digit vin it took a lot of research on my behalf to figure it out. I even tried an online service, they could not guarantee results.
Good luck
Gordon

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote