Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #1

94' Bluebird TC2000 Air Brake Plumbing HELP!

Hello

I'm new to RV-Bus Conversion and I recently bought a Bluebird TC2000.

I hope that this will become a future RV conversion.

I'm trying to get the mechanical working first.

The bus has a Holset compressor that went bad.

The previous owner started to remove it but, never finished.

I have rebuilt the compressor with new gaskets and rings but, now I don't know where any of the lines go.

The compressor has several lines disconnected and the governor was also disconnected.

I would like to know if anyone would be kind enough to help me figure out the plumbing.

I will post pictures soon!

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!

Rawmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Air Brake Plumbing

The late buses usually use different sizes and color lines to a compressor. First turn the pump to determine rotation direction. The connections are 2 hoses for water cooling, and coolant may still be seen, 1 large connection for compressor suction or air intake. One line, for oiling is usually a flexible hose which connects into the end of the compressor crankshaft. The pump output will usually be about a 1/2 inch nylon line to supply compressed air to the air system. Depending on the engine used, the pump oil drains directly into the bus engine oil pan or to a drain hose or pipe into the oil pan. After determining the pump rotation, turning the pulley briskly will make a loud crisp popping sound. All of the connections should be very easy to locate where the connections will fit. Sometimes the pump mounting will require some care in selecting pump position and correct bolts. There may be some support brackets that also need to be connected. The connections should be self evident. Compressor govenor may be remotely mounted and has a 1/4 inch line connection. Send some pics.
If all else fails, go to a bus company repair shop with some pics and questions. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: 94' Bluebird TC2000 Air Brake Plumbing HELP!

what engine and chassis? cummins pusher ?

your local cummins engine dealer or bus garage probably will let you look at a similar setup if frank's suggestions don't resolve your challenges.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

I want to thank everyone for their great help!

There are actually two lines on the compressor that I can't figure out.

1: The line on the very top
2: The line that goes on the side.

Judging from Frank's post, 2: should be the oil feed.

Where do the lines connect from?

I've included two pictures. The governor is remotely mounted and it is very hard to see. I will take pictures of it and update.

Thanks for your great help! I really appreciate it.

Also the bus is a FE with a Cummins 5.9L.

There aren't many TC2000 if any at all in my area. Most bus lines use smaller buses.

Line #1

Line #2

Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

My guesses

Number one looks like to 1/4 line to a remote govenor. Large pipe with hose must be the intake. Number 2 looks like the pump oil pressure line. The JIC or flared male fitting looks like a coolant line of which there are usually 2.
It does not matter if a bus company has your exact bus, as a good mechanic should be able to tell you some information. Another excellant source of compressor information is any company who sells these air brake pumps. Take your unit to them as it is a small unit with probably a single cylinder. The ngines I am familar with are Cummins, Detroit Diesel and Ford/ Int 7.3 IDI. All other diesels, I have zero history. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #6

Hello

Thank you Frank for your help!

I am awaiting some parts for the compressor and I will try to find the proper fittings.

I will update with more pictures and results.

Thank you very much!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #7

Hi again.

Just one quick question.

Do you have any idea where I can obtain a plumbing diagram for the brakes?

Thank you!