Old 03-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Re: A little advice for a girl who's new to all this?

I don't know your location. or anything about these buses....
But it looks like he has a few...
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/4333083762.html
Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
I don't know your location. or anything about these buses....
But it looks like he has a few...
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/4333083762.html
Holy shrikes! How did he get 60 buses?
ellilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

A couple of "off grid' places to look: Airports- back lots of shuttle services-or the garages near the airport.
Senior centers. Shorties are big for old folks transports.
Private schools.-They can make decsions about getting rid of vehicles without a whole district's rules.
Crane your neck: Keep your eyes open down side streets+ behind buildings.

Try www.searchtempest.com It can search all C/L posts in a mileage range you type in.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
A couple of "off grid' places to look: Airports- back lots of shuttle services-or the garages near the airport.
Senior centers. Shorties are big for old folks transports.
Private schools.-They can make decsions about getting rid of vehicles without a whole district's rules.
Crane your neck: Keep your eyes open down side streets+ behind buildings.

Try http://www.searchtempest.com It can search all C/L posts in a mileage range you type in.
Thanks for the extra searching spots!

Wow, never heard of searchtempest, I'm so glad that exists: that just made life easier
Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

I got my bus straight from the school system. The mantianance people are very helpfull and like to talk buses and answer your questions. These two sites have shool bus auctions.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/browse/home
http://www.govdeals.com/

I got a 1999 34' rear engine diesel Thomas for $2,600.00. They gave me the maintence records too. The bus runs good, I go back to them from time to time for questions and they all like to check my progress on the bus.

Sometimes you wont see the school bus acutions until the end of the school year as they get rid of the old buses to make room for the new.

I know this wont help you, but all the short buses here in Maryland went for under $1,000.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Story of how I acquired my bus:

Called around local area school districts. Found one that was retiring two 1990 Crown Super Coach II's, disposing of them at a local auctioneer. My winning bid at the auction was $1700. Add to that the auctioneer fee, tax and license and I drove it away for about $2000. Crown made superior coaches. Mine is 36 FT long, rear engine is a Cat 3208 diesel. Had to put some money into the airbag suspension but now have a very versatile and spacious platform for a total cost of about $3500. Oh and the bus has only 110K miles on it, and the engine was replaced in the last 10K miles. Tranny is the bulletproof Allison 640.

How I disposed of the seats:
Stripped off the upholstery, taking it to the local transfer station. Took the frames to the local metal salvage yard. What they paid me for the metal covered the cost of disposing of the upholstery.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus
Story of how I acquired my bus:

Called around local area school districts. Found one that was retiring two 1990 Crown Super Coach II's, disposing of them at a local auctioneer. My winning bid at the auction was $1700. Add to that the auctioneer fee, tax and license and I drove it away for about $2000. Crown made superior coaches. Mine is 36 FT long, rear engine is a Cat 3208 diesel. Had to put some money into the airbag suspension but now have a very versatile and spacious platform for a total cost of about $3500. Oh and the bus has only 110K miles on it, and the engine was replaced in the last 10K miles. Tranny is the bulletproof Allison 640.

How I disposed of the seats:
Stripped off the upholstery, taking it to the local transfer station. Took the frames to the local metal salvage yard. What they paid me for the metal covered the cost of disposing of the upholstery.
Very much appreciate hearing how others acquired their bus. Sounds like a pretty good deal, too!
Oo, and definitely a good idea on the seats: that actually wouldn't be so bad, and at least some of it is getting salvaged. Huge thanks for sharing that post.

I've decided to hold out on my initial interest until I see something better on auction/for sale. I've no loyalty to anything specific, but in reading around and talking to a few people, I'm hearing a few people recommend/favor something like an international with a DT 466. Not that I've got tunnel vision for it, certainly lots of other recommended/good options, but yeah, definitely a few people giving that engine praise ;)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

tThe dt466 is a good engine (its the one I want). I'm a machinst for the "big yellow company" and I dont want a cat engine. They are expensive to work on and from what I understand unless the enigine is in a piece of equipment with a cat logo, customer service is less than admirable.
texasrednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I am not a fan of cat engines either.

I like and want a few DT466's in my collection also. However one thing bugs me. Most the mechanical 466's in buses use v belt pulleys. I haven't seen a serpentine belt on a 466 in a bus yet. All the 466 trucks have a serpentine, so it just must be the way they are being ordered.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Most of the 466's in busses are the lower horse power configuration. Wich may be why it uses a v belt and not serpintine......idle thought no hard info to back it up.
texasrednek is offline   Reply With Quote