Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

A little advice for a girl who's new to all this?

So in my spare time, I've often found myself looking at the wide world of living mobile. I used to live out of my truck for months at a time, and love browsing other peoples projects, homes, and adaptations. I've only recently become serious enough about getting my first skoolie, and have quite enjoyed browsing this and other forums. ^^ I still have a lot to learn, but am excited to get to learn in a more hands-on way with my own bus. That said, there's not exactly a kelley blue book for this, and it seems to me value can really vary. If any of you could spare some advice, here's what I'm looking at:

I'm looking for a short bus that seems reliable (I know automotive basics, but this is a bus, not a honda civic, so I've got some learning to do, and I'd rather not learn it all the hard way right off the bat) and I think I've found what I'm looking for on craigslist. It's a 1987 Chevy 350 short bus, rebuilt engine, rebuilt tranny, new tires, new battery, about 70k miles, automatic, diesel, all at around 4500. The seats are all taken out, and it's currently classified as a "van", and I'm pretty much in love with it, but want to avoid new-puppy-syndrome and keep my feet in reality.

Does it seem like a reasonable price? I'm having a hard time tracking down comparable pricing, but it seems good to me. I'm really excited about it, but it's a big leap to take on my own without any advice, and this is definitely the crowd to ask

I think I have insurance and logistics figured out (these forums ares SO helpful!! You guys rock!), though I need to make a call to the DMV to check on a few things. Looks like I have some work to do before I get it to RV status.

ellilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: A little advice for a girl who's new to all this?

It looks like a great body, but the story on the engine would be a red flag for me. If the engine was rebuilt with less than 70,000 miles on it, it suggests to me one of two things. Either the engine was abused, or it is not a strong design.

GM had some diesel cars back about that time, and the engines were nothing but trouble. Instead of installing a diesel designed from the ground up, the story was that they took an engine designed for gasoline and boosted the compression up to the edge of the design limits. My boss at the time had a full-sized Chevy or Olds wagon with the diesel, and its engine died. My kid brother was working at the time at a "shade-tree" garage, and he and his boss made some of their money pulling out these GM diesels and installing gas V-8s rebuilt from junk yards.

I'm not an engine expert, but those are my thoughts based on your intro. I don't know if that short bus would have a truck diesel or one of the car diesels. Maybe if you can post the VIN someone with more experience can decode the engine type and give better information.

The bottom line might be that if you only intend to add curtains, toss a futon in the back, and use a camp stove and port-a-potty like you were living in your truck, it might be worth the chance that the engine will last as long as you are using it. If you intend to invest in building permanent cabinets and a bathroom, are you also willing to do and engine swap if it might become necessary?

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but want to encourage you to shop with your head as well as your heart.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

X2 on the red flags
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

If you know little about mechanical, I would not buy a gas powered bus.

I would find one with a mechanical 5.9 Cummins, DT 366, or a DT 466. All three engines will run without any wires connected. All three engines will run almost forever, as long as they have clean air, fuel and oil.

Simple is best. The engines I listed are as simple as it gets. Good fuel economy, and the ability to burn any fuel oil is just the icing on the cake.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but want to encourage you to shop with your head as well as your heart.
Exactly why I posted, I got plenty of heart that wants to just go for it and jump in, so I absolutely appreciate the advice to balance me out here. Thanks on the red flags and explanation. The VIN is 2gbhg3ijih4i00585 , if anyone knows where I might be able to check on the engine specifics. It's going to be a lighter-use/more basic skoolie compared to some of the wonderful set-ups here, if for no other reason than I live/work in the field for part of the week, and this would be my go-wherever-I-want home away from work. Mostly quite short drives, and a big relocation or two throughout the year to a new part of the country.

Quote:
If you know little about mechanical, I would not buy a gas powered bus.

I would find one with a mechanical 5.9 Cummins, DT 366, or a DT 466. All three engines will run without any wires connected. All three engines will run almost forever, as long as they have clean air, fuel and oil.

Simple is best. The engines I listed are as simple as it gets. Good fuel economy, and the ability to burn any fuel oil is just the icing on the cake.
Thanks, Nat! Looks like I have a little research to do.

I very much appreciate the feedback. I gotta start somewhere, and well, here I am!
Old 03-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Try to find a 1997 or older model bus. Anything newer has a computer operated system...... Go diesel!!!
just food for thought
RB
Old 03-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #7

Oo, definitely something to take into consideration. I havent checked out the computerized systems, but I do know I'm more comfortable with less computer control.

And got a VIN lookup:
VIN: 2GBHG31J1H4100585
WMI / VDS / VIS: 2GB / HG31J1 / H4100585

Model: G30
Type: Van
Make: Chevrolet
Model year: 1987
Manufacturer: General Motors of Canada Ltd.
Manufactured in: Canada (North America)
Sequential number: 100585

Engine series: V-8 6.2L
Engine type: V8. 6.2L
Fuel type: Diesel
Old 03-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

It sounds like a big amount of money- most of us have found our shorties for around $2k-2500.
a little life check can go a long way to making sure you get the most out of your bus.
Is the bus going to be used for a bunch of traveling-or mainly sitting as a residence? If you plan on putting miles on it, diesels the way to go (although the 6.2 isn't know to be one of the best-but all you're going to find in a Chevy) But diesel is now 25% more expensive than gas. That Chevy bus also had 350 gas motor. Cheap-dependable.
Are you comfy driving something larger? For that money, you can find a nice mid sized bus. I've never heard someone reget having too much space.
How much of a hurry are you in? Do you need a bus NOW-or can you shop around?
Will where you plan on parking it have any effect on your choice? (its going behind a friends house-can't put a big yellow bus there).
How much work are you willing--or able--to put into it? Take a price from fixxing a Honda-and at least double or triple it. Most every part on any truck/van/bus are much heavier duty that a car part (and price.) "just need brakes" might be $200 on the Honda, but $ 600 on a bus.
Is this something you're doing for a year or two + sell it--or a long term keeper?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

My 2 cents of experiance I've had so far, insurance, when I called around the only company I found that would insure a Skoolie conversion was Good Sam for liability only, They specifactly told me it had to be a bus & could not be a short bus built on a van chassie,
Stuart
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #10

Like I said, it'll be mostly sitting/short trips, with a few long ones each year. For the most part, not a real mover, but I do move from state to state with work once or twice a year. Sounds like from what I hear diesel is good for the long haul, definitely a fan club around here
My absolute ideal would be something a little bit larger, but not by much. I live pretty simple and am fine with small spaces, especially in favor of a little more maneuverability. But yes, a little bit bigger? Oh, I think I could live with that ;)
I'm not in any hurry beyond my general excitement to jump in. I'm happy to wait for something more fitting, but in searching around I'm really not sure how often opportunities come up. Distance is a thing for me, I don't want to have to make a big trip to get the bus, which I understand limits my options. I'm in Southern California, for reference.
For that matter, where else have you all found your skoolies? Places I've looked: craigslist, publicsurplus, ebay, and of course, these forums ^^ And a few that were outrageously priced or all east coast, so I didn't much bother.
I have a place to park it here, not too worried about that. I would like to get one already stripped of seats, for the simple reason of where would I get rid of all those seats? Free on craigslist? I dunno how much interest I'd get. Give them away with cookies at a bake sale? Have to be some damn good cookies. If I can avoid having to pay to dispose of them, bonus. If not, well I can figure something out I'm sure, but it's one step I'd rather not have to figure out if I can find an empty one
I'm aware repairs/maintenance cost more, I am planning on that being the case. Anything I can handle myself I'm happy to do, but I know I'm no mechanic extraordinaire, hence why I was asking that this one might not have me learning the hard way immediately. I'd rather have a period of getting used to a properly working bus, something new in itself, before I have my education in unplanned fixes. (with an issue or two I know in advance what I'm getting into is ok)
I'm not certain how long, a year or two, yes, but if I'm honest with myself, I'll probably learn all of the things I'd like to do better from that first year or two, and then go from there.

For the record, I was trying to google "questions to ask before you buy a bus" the other day. Looks like you just made me a chunk of that list, haha! Thanks ;)
Old 03-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I don't know your location. or anything about these buses....
But it looks like he has a few...
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/4333083762.html
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
I don't know your location. or anything about these buses....
But it looks like he has a few...
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/4333083762.html
Holy shrikes! How did he get 60 buses?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

A couple of "off grid' places to look: Airports- back lots of shuttle services-or the garages near the airport.
Senior centers. Shorties are big for old folks transports.
Private schools.-They can make decsions about getting rid of vehicles without a whole district's rules.
Crane your neck: Keep your eyes open down side streets+ behind buildings.

Try www.searchtempest.com It can search all C/L posts in a mileage range you type in.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
A couple of "off grid' places to look: Airports- back lots of shuttle services-or the garages near the airport.
Senior centers. Shorties are big for old folks transports.
Private schools.-They can make decsions about getting rid of vehicles without a whole district's rules.
Crane your neck: Keep your eyes open down side streets+ behind buildings.

Try http://www.searchtempest.com It can search all C/L posts in a mileage range you type in.
Thanks for the extra searching spots!

Wow, never heard of searchtempest, I'm so glad that exists: that just made life easier
Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126

I got my bus straight from the school system. The mantianance people are very helpfull and like to talk buses and answer your questions. These two sites have shool bus auctions.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/browse/home
http://www.govdeals.com/

I got a 1999 34' rear engine diesel Thomas for $2,600.00. They gave me the maintence records too. The bus runs good, I go back to them from time to time for questions and they all like to check my progress on the bus.

Sometimes you wont see the school bus acutions until the end of the school year as they get rid of the old buses to make room for the new.

I know this wont help you, but all the short buses here in Maryland went for under $1,000.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Story of how I acquired my bus:

Called around local area school districts. Found one that was retiring two 1990 Crown Super Coach II's, disposing of them at a local auctioneer. My winning bid at the auction was $1700. Add to that the auctioneer fee, tax and license and I drove it away for about $2000. Crown made superior coaches. Mine is 36 FT long, rear engine is a Cat 3208 diesel. Had to put some money into the airbag suspension but now have a very versatile and spacious platform for a total cost of about $3500. Oh and the bus has only 110K miles on it, and the engine was replaced in the last 10K miles. Tranny is the bulletproof Allison 640.

How I disposed of the seats:
Stripped off the upholstery, taking it to the local transfer station. Took the frames to the local metal salvage yard. What they paid me for the metal covered the cost of disposing of the upholstery.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus
Story of how I acquired my bus:

Called around local area school districts. Found one that was retiring two 1990 Crown Super Coach II's, disposing of them at a local auctioneer. My winning bid at the auction was $1700. Add to that the auctioneer fee, tax and license and I drove it away for about $2000. Crown made superior coaches. Mine is 36 FT long, rear engine is a Cat 3208 diesel. Had to put some money into the airbag suspension but now have a very versatile and spacious platform for a total cost of about $3500. Oh and the bus has only 110K miles on it, and the engine was replaced in the last 10K miles. Tranny is the bulletproof Allison 640.

How I disposed of the seats:
Stripped off the upholstery, taking it to the local transfer station. Took the frames to the local metal salvage yard. What they paid me for the metal covered the cost of disposing of the upholstery.
Very much appreciate hearing how others acquired their bus. Sounds like a pretty good deal, too!
Oo, and definitely a good idea on the seats: that actually wouldn't be so bad, and at least some of it is getting salvaged. Huge thanks for sharing that post.

I've decided to hold out on my initial interest until I see something better on auction/for sale. I've no loyalty to anything specific, but in reading around and talking to a few people, I'm hearing a few people recommend/favor something like an international with a DT 466. Not that I've got tunnel vision for it, certainly lots of other recommended/good options, but yeah, definitely a few people giving that engine praise ;)
Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

tThe dt466 is a good engine (its the one I want). I'm a machinst for the "big yellow company" and I dont want a cat engine. They are expensive to work on and from what I understand unless the enigine is in a piece of equipment with a cat logo, customer service is less than admirable.
texasrednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

I am not a fan of cat engines either.

I like and want a few DT466's in my collection also. However one thing bugs me. Most the mechanical 466's in buses use v belt pulleys. I haven't seen a serpentine belt on a 466 in a bus yet. All the 466 trucks have a serpentine, so it just must be the way they are being ordered.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Most of the 466's in busses are the lower horse power configuration. Wich may be why it uses a v belt and not serpintine......idle thought no hard info to back it up.
texasrednek is offline   Reply With Quote