Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Series B,I think!
Engine: 366 Towanda
Rated Cap: 14 People
Air and Heat

Hello,
The air is out,the compressor is bad,the freon is all leaked out,the heater hose's leak,the cutoff valve by the drivers seat is leaking also,its just in bad shape.I'm going to pull it all out.Other than capping off the hose's on the radiator and engine and pulling the hose's out,do i need to replace the compressor with a pulley?Will the compressor eventually lock up?
Ernie

BigErn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Series B,I think!
Engine: 366 Towanda
Rated Cap: 14 People
BigErn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Boy, road air in a bus. I myself would spend whatever to make it work.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Check out the systems in Fire, rescue and EMT vehicles. According to a fireman friend here, besides the standard engine driven compressor units, many run 110 volt units off of massive alternators and a big a$$ inverter.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
The compressor has a clutch and just freewheels when its not engaged.

Having said that, I'd really think about repairing the system first. Engine driven air would be really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErn View Post
Hello,
The air is out,the compressor is bad,the freon is all leaked out,the heater hose's leak,the cutoff valve by the drivers seat is leaking also,its just in bad shape.I'm going to pull it all out.Other than capping off the hose's on the radiator and engine and pulling the hose's out,do i need to replace the compressor with a pulley?Will the compressor eventually lock up?
Ernie

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is the compressor guts locked? howd you test for bad compressor? heck I'd love to have that system if you are ripping it out!! that is if you take it out carefully.. freon leaking out isnt always a bad compressor... its usually bad O-rings and can be fixed, then you convert to R-134A.. if the compressor just isnt kicking on its likely because the freon leaked out.. it hinders it from coming on..

you could likely convert that to Sanden if it isnt already.. and even if its tecumseh (like my bird was) you can replace the compressor...

occasioanlly a rock gets in the skirt mounted condensor... but yes I would gladly drive from ohio to texas to take the components off oyur hands!!..

otherwise id tell you to fix it up and make it run..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Christopher,
If you want to drive to Indiana, you can have all the stuff I took out except for the condenser fans. Two of everything, worked when I took them off. No guarantee of anything.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
Bus Geek

also FYI those hurri-hot defrosters were some of the best for their time... in my last unit, I custom built dash-air into those... there was plenty of room to work...

gave me the advantage I simply spun those vents around in summer and blew all 3 on me and it was nice N cool... in winter I spun them back around for heat and had defogged-defrost just like a car has...

I doubt the coils in those are leaking as they held up pretty well.. that valve is strraight forward to replace if you take out the seat that box comes part pretty well... hoses are hoses.. you'll need heat for driving somehow and the front heaters in the bus are great..

the rears are usually taken out just because they were put in the worst places for a conversion...

im hoping my carpenter will have the same nice system those blue-birds had..

-Christopher
Old 03-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Christopher,
If you want to drive to Indiana, you can have all the stuff I took out except for the condenser fans. Two of everything, worked when I took them off. No guarantee of anything.

thanks for the offer!! unfortunaterly yours are bluebird side mount specific.. I need a rear ceiling mount similar to the OP.. at least for engine powered..

Love your build!! the industrial look and esp the use of mini-splits for your A/C..

I fashioned 3 of those completely custom as part of a hybrid heat / cool in my house.. they are ducted and zoned through my existing home floor ducting... ..

only thing I can say is you may want to think about flexible pipe adapters between the unit and the pipes that go into your bus.. these units are Notorious for leaks at the flare connections..

they are also picky about their R410A charge so if you shortened or lengthened the piping.. (15 feet is used as reference)... you should adjust the charge accordingly..

Ive got a whole lab with these units in my basement.. LOL.. HVAC design is my second passion..

the beauty of those too is that they are soft start.. so no hard surges on your generator!

-Christopher
Old 03-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Call Trans arctic. 877-265-3247, they do commercial bus ac systems. I actually have them looking for a system for my 99 mvp. The lady in the parts department is super cool!

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
Call Trans arctic. 877-265-3247, they do commercial bus ac systems. I actually have them looking for a system for my 99 mvp. The lady in the parts department is super cool!

-Doc
i'll be interested in what they come up with for you.. as ive noted. im working to put together an A/C system as well..
-Christopher