Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C60
Engine: 8.2 diesel "Fuel Pincher"
Rated Cap: GVWR 27000
Air Brakes Question

Hello,

I'm believe I'm needing to replace by drier. I don't know the history, it recently started leak after reaching full pressure, it's a bit rusted and have been told parts are no longer available... time to replace.

It's a Bendix 106365 in case you're wondering. They have another from bendix, technical support says it's "close".

The setup for the air drier is a bit confusing to me on this bus. I'm trying to understand the rhyme or reason for the current setup as it seems a bit unusual.

From the compressor, it goes to one end of the tank (1). from the top side of the tank goes to the Drier (2), from drier supply to the tank(3, on third photo).

Here's a link to the 4 photos:
skoolie folder

See first three pictures in progression
** I have understood that the compressor line goes to the drier, not the tank. This has me scratching my head

Next is the front of the tank. It seems there is a line from back side of the tank to the front as shown... equalizing line?

Again, not something I'm familiar with... Could the tank be divided inside?

Next photo, a drain at the front and back? I could see this if you were on an incline either direction you could drain the tank.

Any input is welcome. If I'm going to change this drier, I want to know what's going on first... Thanks in advance.

meyermobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
No pictures.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
The two valves on the tank are for auxiliary air connection and to drain the tank of any moisture the air dryer fails to purge from the system. A lot of tank have a ton of water and gunk in them.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
That tank may have 2 compartments (fairly common), hence the 2 drain valves, one for each section.

The first section before the air dryer is commonly called the "Wet" tank - drain it regularly. At least daily is recommended for a daily driver, or when you shut down after a drive - or when fueling after a lengthy trip. There are automatic drain valves available for this, or spring loaded manual ones with a cable attached to make it somewhat more convenient. Just attach the other end someplace convenient and give it a tug to drain the tank.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I didnt see that number anywhere online.. the most common bendix air dryer for that year was the AD-4, mine went bad on my DEV bus.. and I found a reman unit on ebay.. its been in almost 3 years and works great.. was easier to replace like with like then retrofit a different one in at the time..

the AD-9 is similar. and likely the one they talk about... wierd that part number of yours doesnt search online...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote