Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Generally if there is going to be a problem with air brakes from cold it won't be stopping it will be going, brakes won't release, frozen D2 governor won't let compressor build air, air dryer purge valve sticking causing fairly rapid air depletion and so on.Usually (but not always) once the unit gets underway problems are minimal.As stated by folks on here if you hear the low air buzzer or see the light get yourself off of the road with great haste there are few things more frightening than something locking the brakes suddenly in the middle of the traffic lane! If the bus has been reasonably maintained you should not have much troubles air brake systems are very reliable.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If you hear the low air warning while you're driving you need to pull over as soon as possible. After a minute or two, maybe less, the brakes will apply and you'll stop wherever you happen to be.
Yeah, that's what the DMV guide on air brakes said. Pull over AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SAFELY.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Yeah, that's what the DMV guide on air brakes said. Pull over AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SAFELY.
Agreed ... and as you are likely to be in the right lane anyway, this shouldn't be hard in most places.

If you can, you can drive slowly along an emergency lane until you can exit. Your brakes will tell you when to stop but you are already in the safest place (although it's not actually all that safe)

If you do stop, hazards on and all buses should still have three emergency triangles on-board ... use them.

If you have to stop on an emergency lane, get everyone out and away from the bus. Too many vehicles in that position get plowed into.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
The mechanic said he thought my bus did not have a heater and it IS going to be cold and pretty humid when I drive it over the mountains per the forecast. Advice?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
The only time we had air dryer freezing up issues without the heater was when it got really cold with a lot of wind (Below 0*F cold and add windchill). The only reason I know that is because a pair of the busses we service came from the factory without the dryer heater fuse installed. Subsequently, it was those busses that froze the dryer/supply line to the dryer.

I'm not saying you don't need a heater, but we never saw even the slightest hint of an issue until it got that cold out. You have to remember that most compressors receive supply air from the intake of the engine, which will normally be above freezing, and compressing the air itself will heat it up also.

I see more freezing issues with neglected systems that are never checked/drained coupled with dryers that have never had the cartridge changed.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Agreed ... and as you are likely to be in the right lane anyway, this shouldn't be hard in most places.

If you can, you can drive slowly along an emergency lane until you can exit. Your brakes will tell you when to stop but you are already in the safest place (although it's not actually all that safe)

If you do stop, hazards on and all buses should still have three emergency triangles on-board ... use them.

If you have to stop on an emergency lane, get everyone out and away from the bus. Too many vehicles in that position get plowed into.
I already bought triangles just in case it didn't have them. It's been pretty well stripped so I wasn't counting on anything.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it has to be pretty cold for the air system to freeze up while moving... air building up pressure creates some heat on its own... the purge valve is the most likely place for it to freeze.. and it would have to pretty much freeze solid enough that the valve couldnt close... sitting still with the engine running, pumping down the brakes. and letting the opressure build back up is a way to build heat if you noticed icicles hanging from the purge valve..

on my bus the air pressure warning indicatoir buzzer is on the D2 governor.. so if my compresdsor is unable to build pressure, the governor sticks open or the purge valve fails to close (keeping the compressor off) then ill get the warning buzzer while I still may have full pressure in the tanks... check valves should be present between the dryer and the air tanks.. whole technicallty these could fail, most likely they wont freeze up. and even if you loast the ability to build pressure you would have enough pressure in the tanks to get off the road at an exit.. where you could then let engine heat while being stopped likely melt anything free of the dryer and get back underway again..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #27
Skoolie

The big key here is to keep the tanks purged. It takes quite a bit of moisture to freeze the system. I’ve driven old trucks that don’t have a air dryer at all. Find the tanks and purge them daily and you won’t have any trouble. Don’t be afraid just diligent.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
The only real problems in an air brake system comes from a lack of maintenance I have come across units that could not build adequate air because the cartridge for the drier was stopped up and when pulled a substance that resembled baby poop dripped out you would think a system your life depended on would require a little more care. Today's systems are almost foolproof with some maintenance.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
The only real problems in an air brake system comes from a lack of maintenance I have come across units that could not build adequate air because the cartridge for the drier was stopped up and when pulled a substance that resembled baby poop dripped out you would think a system your life depended on would require a little more care. Today's systems are almost foolproof with some maintenance.
This may be a stupid question, but I think from re reading this thread that if my bus makes that big whooshing noise when I put on the parking brake that is the air dryer doing its thing. But I should still find the darn thing at some point and check and see if the cartridge is nasty.

It is snowing again here so that is not gonna happen for several days at least.

I did get Mobi registered as a motorhome. It was already a MH on the title in Oregon which may have helped, but I am not sure because NV law actually has no real rules

NRS 482.071  “Motor home” defined.  “Motor home” means a structure:
1.  Attached permanently to a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis;
2.  Designed as a temporary dwelling for travel, recreational or camping use; and
3.  When assembled for the road, has a maximum body width of 102 inches.

Other states list specific things like permanent bed, cooking, etc.

I have no idea where that previous poster got the info about all those things an RV had to have in NV, but it was not from the NV statues.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ther whoosh when you pull the parking brake is the Air being released from first the air line going to the brake knob... and outside a whoosh is heard when the air is released from the rear brake chambers which activates the spring brakes..

the air dryer whoosh happens when your air gauge reaches 120 PSI at any time, the bus parked or in motion.. the governor in the compressor shuts off and triggers the whoosh in the air dryer..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1973
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: MC-7
Engine: 8V92 DD 400hp
Rated Cap: 39k
Yes, there are many different Wooshi

Air dryers are sometimes aftermarket, or not installed. Run from your compressor and find a canister; or don't.
Birdarchitect26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdarchitect26 View Post
Yes, there are many different Wooshi [emoji3]

Air dryers are sometimes aftermarket, or not installed. Run from your compressor and find a canister; or don't.
My bus' line set ticket says I have a Bendix air dryer and heater. I will have to shovel 18" of snow to look for it, so it's gonna be a while. I have looked around some underneath and in the engine compartment but so far I'm not doing very well finding things. I do know where my fuell filter is and how to change it now! I know where the diesel, wiper fluid, transmission fluid, and the power steering fluid are. I haven't found my glow plug relays yet. I think I need a ladder to be able to see the top of the engine. I also think I need to pressure wash underneath because there is a LOT of dirt caked on stuff that makes it hard to see.

That's probably my fault for driving around in a really dirty parking lot (a sand and gravel place shares the lot with the diesel mechanic that re-sealed my oil cooler and changed the oil and greased stuff before I drove it home). It was great for being able to see where I turned though! Cones are expensive and I forgot to bring cardboard boxes with me. I cleaned handfuls of dirt and rocks out of the skid plate for the passenger folding door this week! I hosed it off with a pretty strong spray of warm water but it really didn't do anything. I'm gonna have to pressure wash it. After I shovel today and then again tomorrow as we are expecting even more today. It's absolutely beautiful, but it's even better if you don't need to shovel it. Even Reno got a foot of snow!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Isn’t that the air pressure relief coming on when your full.
My bus makes a loud (psssstt) sound and that just letting extra pressure out.
No air dryer . And my air tank is very wet.
Looking At installing air dryer and or a cable and switch the valves out so I don’t have to crawl underneath the bus.
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The air dryer is the loud PSSSSSSST that you hear when you're near a diesel vehicle. It blows out moisture if it's working right. Shouldn't be a problem in these temperatures.
Isn’t that the air pressure relief coming on when your full.
My bus makes a loud (psssstt) sound and that just letting extra pressure out.
No air dryer . And my air tank is very wet.
Looking At installing air dryer and or a cable and switch the valves out so I don’t have to crawl underneath the bus.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I would add a dryer for sure. You will still need to drain your tanks occasionally but it will be less often and you will get less water.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ther whoosh when you pull the parking brake is the Air being released from first the air line going to the brake knob... and outside a whoosh is heard when the air is released from the rear brake chambers which activates the spring brakes..

the air dryer whoosh happens when your air gauge reaches 120 PSI at any time, the bus parked or in motion.. the governor in the compressor shuts off and triggers the whoosh in the air dryer..
-Christopher
I hear a woshhh when I reach 120 but my tank is so wet I don’t think I have an air dryer.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If it doesn't have a dryer, it will make a little noise from the compressor unloading, but nothing like one with a dryer. I'd be surprised if you don't have a dryer. The reason you have water in the tanks is that the desiccant in the dryer might be junk. You'll have to replace the cartridge to get it functioning again.

If your compressor is on it's way out, it will push a bunch of oil into the dryer which will ruin the desiccant.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
If it doesn't have a dryer, it will make a little noise from the compressor unloading, but nothing like one with a dryer. I'd be surprised if you don't have a dryer. The reason you have water in the tanks is that the desiccant in the dryer might be junk. You'll have to replace the cartridge to get it functioning again.

If your compressor is on it's way out, it will push a bunch of oil into the dryer which will ruin the desiccant.
Yeah I hear a big woshhh sound when I reach a little above 120. I guess I could have an air dryer. I need to crawl back under there and really know what I’m looking for.
The air seat either has a leak or my compressor is going out and putting oil into the tank . Or both.
I have to adjust my seat every 15 minutes