Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

All a board

I'm looking for advice. I am looking to buy a bus to convert to the ultimate surfer/ snowboarding bus. Wondering if anyone has tips ideas? But my biggest question is how the do in snow because majority of its life would be at ski hills and mountains traveling in the winter?

Jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Hi Jaymann, welcome to the site. The best advice I can give you id read all you can here. I would say that 99% of what you need to know is here. Just read everything you can, you will learn more than you can imagine. Ask lots of questions too. As far as driving a bus in the snow they do ok. Common sense goes a long way. The best bus in the world is no good if you do not drive it properly. Invest in a set of tire chains too. In some locations if you do not have tire chains on board the powers that be will not let you proceed. If you drive your bus properly you should not have too many problems. Also, know when to park it for a while. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #3

Thanks roadrunner
I feel confident as I live in wi so driving in snow is not something new. And I've driven big trucks with trailers so its not like I'm some inexperienced punk who drives a little cavalier
Jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Type 'D' front engine buses tend to be like a cow on ice when the roads get slick. With the engine and most of the transmission in front of the front axle the weight bias towards the front tends to overload the front axle and barely loads the drive axle. You end up with a vehicle that doesn't get good traction and the bus tends to oversteer--a little input does a lot.

Type 'D' rear engine buses have great traction but tend to understeer when they are on slick roads--you put steering input in and nothing happens so you turn the wheel a little more and then all of a sudden it grabs and then you are going way to far.

Type 'C' buses are usually pretty mannerly when driving on slick roads. There are some that have a driven front axle. Those buses tend to go just about anywhere you want them to go and are able to drive back without any assistance. International 1997 AMTRAN

Most western states and provinces require you to carry traction chains from Nov 1 to March 30 every year. The lack thereof not only may sideline you until the roads clear but it could end up you getting fine of $750.00.

There are virtually no roads in the US or Canada that a school bus doesn't travel down twice a day. If you understand the limitations you can get a bus you own down those same roads without any problems.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote