Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Allison technical knowledge needed, please

I seem to remember when I bought Millicent, the Allison MT643 transmission would stay locked to the engine at all times, so that I always had engine braking. Slowing to a stop, the engine would rev up with each downshift, and stay with vehicle speed all the way down. Then at some point that changed, kind'a suddenly. Now it freewheels a lot, and we smoked the brakes a bit down Ashland Grade on a recent trip.

Frankly, I don't know quite how the transmission is supposed to work. But I found this information on Industrial Automatic's web site: "Automatic lockup clutch, throttle-modulated for maximized fuel economy and enhanced engine braking." This in addition to the fact that the lock-up feature is supposed to be effective in 3rd and 4th gears. Who can explain this to me? There is a cable that connects to the throttle linkage at the engine, and to the tranny at its left rear. I need to know how to adjust that cable.

And I once read that the tranny will self-destruct if the cable is broken -- although that pertained to the AT5-series tranny.

If you can direct me to a web site that explains all this, I would be most grateful!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Allison technical knowledge

There is a guy who says he lives for Allison. The man is located in Seattle, Wa. The shop is Power Shift NW. Phone number 425 487 1535. Name is
Harry Mayer. Before talking to Harry, have all numbers from side of trans. He has the books and will talk and give information. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Re: Allison technical knowledge needed, please

(Noodles around on internet....) Ah yes, in Woodinville, WA. Darn, I was just up that way -- in Port Townsend, just on the other side of Seattle. Hate to take up the man's time if he is trying to earn a living in that shop, but if he enjoys helping out-of-staters by phone, I might give him a call.

Still hoping to find a how-to page on the internet, though.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Re: Allison technical knowledge needed, please

(noodles more on interweb...)

Ya, know, fellas, I curse this puter, and I curse those nigerian scammers, and... but I do love this world wide information super highway.
Look what I found: