Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My folks recently wanted their garage cleaned out.
they wouldn't even allow my bus on their property to load up their crap from the garage.
Wow, sucks to be them. Parent or not, I damn sure am NOT helping in any way, shape, or form. They would be lucky if I bother talking to them for the next few years.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Because you, like me and a bunch of others, were convinced by our upbringing that this "American Dream" fits everyone. We bought into someone else's idea of what life should be like. Now that we're older, and, with a bit of luck, wiser, we now see that the "American Dream" is what WE make of it, not someone else - to fit into their cookie-cutter idea of life.

My walk-away from this is less is leaner and better for us. It's not for everyone, but it IS for us. My wife has a BUNCH of files and junk to throw out. I have some, but not as much. We're both on the same page. We agree we have no use for a big house. Too much WORK - YUCK!!!

We prefer to take our home with us when we travel. That's our end-game. And we're ditching a bunch of junk we don't need to achieve it.

Our family thought we were nuts until we show them the financial end of our thinking. NO mortgage, NO major over-head, the ability to leave incase of a hurricane or other disaster, the ability to go to where the jobs are and not worry about a boat-anchor - er - home to sell, and so on. So we decided to stay as renters until our son is through high school, help him with his own bus and SUV so he can go to where the jobs are as well. His girlfriend and her family agree with our thoughts on this subject as well. I'd rather have the means to visit my friends whom are all over this country and not worry about finances and all the other crap involved with owning a home.

Just my opinion......
I'm about ready to join the smaller herd. Off topic question but if you are bouncing from job to job, what are you doing about medical insurance. I don't need it (knock on wood) as I go to the dr about every 5 yrs, give or take. The gf; not so much.

Doesn't sound like you're retired and on medicare/medicaid or whatever. I'm 47 and not there yet either.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Yes you are crazy. Backpacking is the only way to go. A skoolie only works for a house. Try carrying one.

Glamping sounds like a term I need to get familiar with... if I can have my A/C, heat, toilet, internet, and Pizza.. in a fun to drive school bus to boot? I might just get into this camping thing..

a backpack is something I stash my macbook in when I ride my bicycle to the urban coffee shop in downtown..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Glamping sounds like a term I need to get familiar with... if I can have my A/C, heat, toilet, internet, and Pizza.. in a fun to drive school bus to boot? I might just get into this camping thing..

a backpack is something I stash my macbook in when I ride my bicycle to the urban coffee shop in downtown..

-Christopher
Except for the internet to mock everyone by sending pics you can keep your urban coffee. Just came back from some random land sale website. I was looking at acreage in WA and AK.

One block from the beach, 15 acres, for $23k. Sounds like a good place to park a bus to me. Now let's talk about insulation!!
Old 11-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
Interesting thread and a good read. I will admit we have some creature comforts we could do without, but refuse to have car payments or carry a balance on anything but a small mortgage. No plans to sell the house anytime soon cuz we want a place to call base camp where we can regroup and a place where our grown kids and their future kids know as a second home.

I've been a contractor for 25+ years but there are times I will take a break and recycle anything that has value (prices suck right now), cuz it's therapeutic to break shiznit and then get paid for it. Family and friends scratch their head but whatever, it's a change of pace and more fun than reporting to a cubical.

We are in our last third of our working years and looking forward to wandering aimlessly mostly in the direction of a beach.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCog View Post
Interesting thread and a good read. I will admit we have some creature comforts we could do without, but refuse to have car payments or carry a balance on anything but a small mortgage. No plans to sell the house anytime soon cuz we want a place to call base camp where we can regroup and a place where our grown kids and their future kids know as a second home.

I've been a contractor for 25+ years but there are times I will take a break and recycle anything that has value (prices suck right now), cuz it's therapeutic to break shiznit and then get paid for it. Family and friends scratch their head but whatever, it's a change of pace and more fun than reporting to a cubical.

We are in our last third of our working years and looking forward to wandering aimlessly mostly in the direction of a beach.
I totally dug when I ditched the Cubicle farm.... still do...I have an office.. tax formality.. I go there when I DONT want any work to get done.
whoever thought those things are productive...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Crazy? Not in the conventional sense. I grew up spending a week or two in a tent on family camping trips...including sleeping in the dining fly when I was just over a year old; weekend camping trips with the Boy Scouts through high school; hell, I think I was one of the few in my training group who were comfortable in the shelter halves we had for field training at Ft Dix (USAF SP Airbase Ground Defense course, Mar-Apr '92).

With the Crown folks, they're keeping a classic bus out of the junkyard; Tango and Trunt are giving new life to antiques- hell, we're all breathing new life into old buses, repurposing them and keeping them on the road. And each bus we build is as unique as its owner, regardless of the skills they have. Because we don't want a mass produced, soulless RV-unless it's a Wanderlodge.

We're all unique, whether we're looking at it as an RV or a tiny home, a quick and dirty conversion or a multi-year rebuild.
Shelter halves at ft dix..in december..pine barrens cold and i was nice and toasty(me and battle buddy lol) i actually had fun doing that !
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
I am crazy, i have a laminated card that says so. I was injured about 3 yrs ago and could no longer work. That was what opened my eyes to being off grid and out of the loop. I would see my neighbors doing the exact same thing day in and day out..i realized that was crazy. I cannot wait for the day i can get outof my stick and brick place.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote