Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Exclamation Antifreeze type for 1999 International?

Hey everyone-
So we tried taking out the heaters, and found out really quickly, the antifreeze was looped in So, I know i can loop it shorter if i need to when we take out the heaters,b/c i dont think they even work. We tried yesterday, but we also aren't sure what all knobs to push either lol...but we are learning as we go! Any advice on that would be helpful.

Does anyone know what type and how much antifreeze a 1999 Genesis International, allison transmission takes? It is a DT466 as well. The coolant was red when it came out, so does it matter what type? I am going to try to call the dealer today, but thought some of your pros would know best as you tend to get a lot of BS with some service shops. Thanks!!

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

The red stuff is the long life version of anti-freeze.

There are a lot of opinions about it ranging from the worst thing to come along to the best thing to come along.

I am about in the middle.

Since it is virtually impossible to purge every last drop out I would tend to say the best thing to do would be to replace with the red stuff.

Whatever you choose to use, make sure you keep the pH in the coolant as neutral as you can get it. Too acid or too base and you will have issues with things like liner O-rings.

The additive packages in coolant filters help with getting your coolant neutral and helps prevent electrolysis. If you don't use some sort of additive package, whether in a filter or added in to the coolant mix, you will have your engine dissolve from the inside out. Between the dissimilar metals and cavitation your liners will become history long before they wear out.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:12 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Thanks Cowlitzcoach! I have taken your words of wisdom and applied to our skoolie, and it works! We successfully looped the heater hoses and got those out of there, and replaced the coolant She runs like a champ! Thanks so much for your help!

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
b/c i dont think they even work.
There are shutoff valves so coolant doesn't flow into the heaters during the summer. You need to find them and open for heat during winter and close during summer months.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm hoping someone can help. My Bus is an 2002 International with a dt466. Son is coming over tomorrow so I can get the heaters and hoses out of the bus...finally
I just don't know what kind of coolant and how much I should buy to be prepared. We plan on flushing the system as well while we're at it.
We're going to figure out what we're doing as we go along but any info beforehand would be SO appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrabshomestead View Post
Thanks Cowlitzcoach! I have taken your words of wisdom and applied to our skoolie, and it works! We successfully looped the heater hoses and got those out of there, and replaced the coolant She runs like a champ! Thanks so much for your help!
How much coolant did you end up using?
Thx

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tags
antifreeze, coolant, heater