Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Huh?
Engine: T444E
Any apparent design flaws you see in my floorplan?

heeranyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'm guessing that's a FE bus since the driver is ahead of the front wheel. If it's a short bus, I don't think you're going to put all that in there. Maybe a closet/toilet combination to shrink things down a little.

It's actually pretty hard to say unless we know what you're building in and how much floor space you have to work with. It's a nice plan though. Looks like it would fit in about a 9 window bus.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

It's a 6 window midbus. I'm only guessing at this point because I haven't picked it up yet. I go Monday. Does a closet toilet combo mean steps up to the toilet?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I've actually never seen a closet/toilet combo. It was just a quick thought about saving floor space, kind of like my tip-out outhouse.

I think you'll do ok with your floorplan. I'm guessing you'll get in the essentials first, like bathroom, kitchen and bedroom. It could work but I'm thinking your dinette area may shrink a little. I really don't know. Sounds good though. Get your bus and when you've got a clear floor start making things out with tape on the floor to see if you've actually got space for what you want. Some people use cardboard boxes for better visualization. I don't know how much floor space you've got, but believe me you'll be fighting for inches. It's a tight fit to squeeze into a bus, but you'll be glad you did it.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I changed the floorplan to something more realistic

I was daydreaming on how much I could fit into the midsize bus.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #6
Bus Geek

I think a mid size bus is plenty big enough for what you want to do. Some things are going to have to flex a little is all. I see you have definitely made your diagram into a conventional bus now by moving the wheels forward. If you were in a medium size FE bus you'd have more floor space compared to a dognose bus of the same length. FE buses are not quite the same to drive, but it's a trade off for more floor space.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Heeranyi, We all have great plans. (if you don't believe that, just ask us) Probably the best thing you can do is; get all the seats out so you will have a clear sight of the floor space. Then get your measure tape out and start measuring. It will shrink up on you pretty fast. Robin is right. get your essentials first and then go from there. I like to use mock ups. it helps me see things better. GOOD LUCK !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
What about a driver's seat/toilet combo. Talk about space savings. And time too...
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Rough guess from the scale its 15-18 feet long interior making it a mid-size bus. In my experience, you can fit anything you want in a skoolie. It just means everything else gets sized down. For example, my rear bedroom started with an eleven foot length, as the shower developed, the bedroom decreased to 10 feet, as the kitchen expanded the bedroom reduced to 9 feet, as the living room area increased to more than a single seat recliner size to more of a love seat size, the bedroom shrunk again and now, i have a huge 8'4" length bedroom and with my 6'4" frame that doesnt leave a lot of room all the way around.

Dorm frig, RV sink, Upright shower, Narrow closet, knock 8 or 16 inches off the kitchen counter, lose one side of the U shaped dining area, your plan will start out perfect in your mind. You will get to the point of making a little change here, a little change there, and pretty soon you find your actual lay out is close to the original design but completely different than you thought and planned.

I suggest finding some leftover wood material and cardboard. Temp some pinched stud in your bus with a simple tensioner screw style and fill in the mock wall sections with cardboard. Once, you measure it out and put up mock walls you will get an excellent feel for the actual space you have and will have. It helps to "feel" the space as well. You may not want to make a turn or walk around something in the main walkway of your bus, or you may love it and create a hallway on one side of the bus. It is helpful either way.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Very good suggestions. Thank you
Old 05-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
Bus Geek

We are proud to present all the opinions you can stand on this site. It's amazing how you get new ideas to make things fit in a bus.