Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Any Crown bus owners on this board?

Looking for any Crown bus fans to swap stories and parts. My Crown bus is a 1968 exschool bus. It is currently powered by a Cummins 220hp.. No turbo and not much power. I am preparing to up grade the engine with a 425hp Cummins BC4 and an Allison auto trans. There are lots of changes to be made.
I'm never too busy to chat. Frank in Idaho

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Any Crown bus owners on this board?

Since you've had no replys... I wish I had a Crown! When we were in CA the last couple of weeks my head was on a swivel looking around to see if there were any Crowns for sale anywhere (cheap). No luck.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Hey Frank-

Have you noticed Crown parts getting even MORE scarce now thinks to the legislation in California that's taking them off the road? As I understand it a school can get the full cost of a new bus reimbursed by the state, but they must give up the old Crowns to do so and they must go straight to the crushers...no chance of even pulling good parts off.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Leave it to CA to mess up a good thing. When I was in Ferndale I talked to the guys at the bus garage and they said CA has mandated going to seat restraints. I'm curious what that's gonna do because they said seating capacity was gonna go way down.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

1968 New Crown Bus Owner

Hi Frank,

I just purchased a 1968 Crown Super Coach last week. I will need help and I am sure it wont take long before I have some stories.

I would be interested in where you find parts and if there are any manuals or specifications on Crown buses out there?

Br,

Eric
GEBMBU900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
Skoolie

I've got a 1954 that I got from a gentleman in Idaho. He converted it in the late 90s to a nice RV but I am gonna use it as a guest house as it's got the OEM engine and trans in it and was cheaper than building a guest house. Where in ID are you, I'm just above Spokane, WA and would love to see another Crown. I don't have much info on it or knowledge but would love to learn more.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:43 AM   #7

Year: 1962
1962 Crown Coach with a 220 Cummins with a 5 speed in it. I just got her a couple months ago and brown her back to Astoria, Oregon
Crown Princess 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:57 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1954
Coachwork: crown
Engine: 220 cummins turbo
I purchased my grandfathers 51 crown when I was 16 yr old24 yrs later the remodel is going slow lol.
I will post pics soon. My grand father pull the haulscott and installed a 220 with a turbo and a 10 speed. I'm really wanting to go to a Allison.
can some one post the thread I can't find again that was full of good options for the swap? thanks
Owning a crown gets in your blood.
50 crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:48 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach 40'
Engine: Detroit 6-71T
Rated Cap: A lot
Holy revive an old thread Batman!

We bought an 89 with the Detroit 6-71 back in February and started converting it in June. Check out our Youtube channel to follow along.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarnut View Post
I've got a 1954 that I got from a gentleman in Idaho. He converted it in the late 90s to a nice RV but I am gonna use it as a guest house as it's got the OEM engine and trans in it and was cheaper than building a guest house. Where in ID are you, I'm just above Spokane, WA and would love to see another Crown. I don't have much info on it or knowledge but would love to learn more.
Great idea to use as a guest house.

I was thinking about the housing issues in CA and instead of CA crushing buses why not make them into tiny houses that don't move?
Old 09-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03 View Post
Hey Frank-

Have you noticed Crown parts getting even MORE scarce now thinks to the legislation in California that's taking them off the road? As I understand it a school can get the full cost of a new bus reimbursed by the state, but they must give up the old Crowns to do so and they must go straight to the crushers...no chance of even pulling good parts off.
I am looking at buying Crown, but if parts are scarce on a Crown does it make sense to buy something else? I am versed in bus mechanics as as are some here.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish View Post
i am as versed in bus mechanics as as are some here.
*Correction*

i am NOT as versed in bus mechanics as are some here.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach 40'
Engine: Detroit 6-71T
Rated Cap: A lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
I am looking at buying Crown, but if parts are scarce on a Crown does it make sense to buy something else? I am versed in bus mechanics as as are some here.

The mechanicals on Crowns are off the shelf truck parts that should be relatively easy to find for many years. Body parts and things specific to the Crowns like window trim and such might be harder to find but are still available if you are wiling to spend the time searching.

Other models of bus that are still in production would definitely be easier to find parts for but easier isn't always the best way.

The aluminum body on the Crown's is what convinced me to get one. Plus its the newest bus you can get with the rounded old school body style.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&G View Post
The mechanicals on Crowns are off the shelf truck parts that should be relatively easy to find for many years. Body parts and things specific to the Crowns like window trim and such might be harder to find but are still available if you are wiling to spend the time searching.

Other models of bus that are still in production would definitely be easier to find parts for but easier isn't always the best way.

The aluminum body on the Crown's is what convinced me to get one. Plus its the newest bus you can get with the rounded old school body style.
Thanks PB&G. I'm in CA so you can find few Crowns here. I just wasn't sure on parts.

I started watching your journey with your Crown. Thanks for sharing with us.