Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 03:33 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for a little history there, had no idea.
Yeah, I would really enjoy going to a bus convention of sorts with people and their finished busses. I wonder if there is such a gathering, separate from the rally that you mention. Be really helpful to see and talk to like minded people, as well as get some ideas etc. Like I said before, I'm a big visual learner. If I can see it, it's just so much easier to understand, rather than reading and a few pics, or even videos.
I guess I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed with all that needs to be done, but it's going to be ok. I'll just have to do a ton of researching. Be kind of nice if there was a book or dvd available with a start to finish type of deal. Have pros and cons listed for each own project etc. Maybe it's already out there, will have to do a little digging...
Happy New Year everybody!!

WimMorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the Skoolie Swarm in February albeit in florida is a great place to meet people with converted and who are converting busses.. last year was a nice turnout, there are often skoolies who organize little get togethers at tiny-house festivals too..

also put the word out here on the forum and see if you can get a group together to meet and share ideas..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimMorre View Post
I guess I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed with all that needs to be done, but it's going to be ok. I'll just have to do a ton of researching.
It's a step-by-step process, really. It's like putting a puzzle together in a way....one thing leads to another. It wasn't particularly complicated to build our our bus. Just a one-step-at-a-time kinda deal. Things I wasn't really confident or familiar with (solar and electrical systems, mostly) I was able to learn about online through videos and tutorials. As we built, our confidence grew. Maybe you should make a "Ohio-area Skoolies" kinda post and see who's open to walking you through their build? It would have been helpful for us if we'd had the opportunity. We did go to a bus rally a few years ago and saw some transit bus conversions, which gave us some ideas.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Chris,
In Florida eh? That's cool. Might be a bit far, but will definitely have to find out when and where there are others a bit closer. Yes, I need to start a new thread and see who's in the area...
Old 12-31-2018, 06:04 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Maybe you should make a "Ohio-area Skoolies" kinda post and see who's open to walking you through their build?
Yes, I think that would be immensely helpful if I could get a visual tour! That way I can have a better understanding of what all needs to be done. I'm excited! It'll all work out...
Old 01-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimMorre View Post
Chris,
In Florida eh? That's cool. Might be a bit far, but will definitely have to find out when and where there are others a bit closer. Yes, I need to start a new thread and see who's in the area...

it seems like there are lots of skoolies concentrated in the popular weather / vacation destinations.. many skoolies are built as RVs and not as full time homes, so you tend to find people in california, florida, the pacific northwest, carolinas, and the like.. much more than flyover country of the midwest... not that they arent here, just people tend to travel, florida and california are obviously popular in winter months, and in summer months, those that built their skoolies into RVs are out on the move a lot more with family vacations, bucket list trips ,etc.. all over the country.. driving a bus in the ice and snow is a PITA.. ive done it, it sucks. a lot of the RV skoolies built up here in the borth / midwest are put away for the winter, stored, and such.. full-timers tend to find the less harsh weather .. makes for a more comfortable journey.. and if you follow the weather, you spend a lot less $$ in propane, wood, or diesel to heat your bus.. thus why something like the skoolie swarm in feb (florida), and skoolie-palooza in january (arizona) are popular.. although I did see recently it snowed in quartzite arizona..

but def put out the word for possiby a spring get together, those that have mothballed their busses for winter will be itchin to get them out come spring..

-Christopher
Old 01-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: international
Chassis: am tran
Engine: 466e
Rated Cap: 66
Hello,
We are in Raymond, Wa. We are leaving in a couple of days for Des Moines, Iowa to pick up our bus and drive back to washington. We plan to rent a pickup from Enterprise for one way. We could deliver your bus as we will be in the area. Bill 503.298.0528
smokescreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Sounds like a nice offer.
Its a totally TOP OF THE LINE bus!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Well, looks like to bus will be heading to Cincy! Man, I'm excited! After talking to Bill yesterday, had to do some arranging and if all goes well, I'll be meeting Bill next week sometime in Iowa and then finish the rest of the trip home. And thus be able to start working on it asap, which i'm super excited about.
I will keep it posted...
Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #30
Bus Geek

My bus is twenty minutes away.
It SO MUCH easier to work on when the bus is at my home!

Glad you found a way, Wim!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

driving a bus in the ice and snow is a PITA.. ive done it, it sucks.
Why is that? You'd figure a bus is so heavy and would have more weight and therefor grip, but is not the case eh? What about engine size? 5.9 vs 8.3 does that make any difference?

and if you follow the weather, you spend a lot less $$ in propane, wood, or diesel to heat your bus..
That's kind of like what we plan on doing. i know the pacific NW gets plenty of rain in the winter. not too much fun with 2 little ones in the bus i reckon...

but def put out the word for possiby a spring get together, those that have mothballed their busses for winter will be itchin to get them out come spring..
yes, that would be awesome. i will post soon... also need to figure out how to post pics of our bus on this site lol i'm not the greatest with all this technology
Old 01-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Yes me too. That's just so awesome how quickly this has worked out! Well, it's not here yet... i'll be more settled when it's parked in backyard lol
Old 01-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Congrats! Pretty soon the fun begins!
Old 01-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Fantastic that youre bus will soon be on its way home!! i cant wait to see it!! sounds like a fabulous canvas on which to build!
-Christopher
Old 01-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #35
Bus Geek

I can't wait to see some PICS.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry to mention that our bus will remain parked, for now, in Wa. It wasn't until last night when I told my good friend Jerry about the bus coming home and he right away said: 'I'd measure your driveway first'. Since it goes uphill, 40' in length with only 8' to 9' from the ground in the middle, it sure looks like I wouldn't be able to park it in the back of the house. I don't know anybody else to park it at, and even if I did I sure would prefer to have bus outside of house so I can work on it, instead of always having to go to other property. So I'm really disappointed, but I guess we'll just have to stick to our original plan and go from there...

ps. I still need to figure out how to post pics on this site...
Old 01-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #37

Hey Wim, Sorry to hear about the change of plans. Just be sure to pen in room for the float chamber.

(513) 254-2375
Got something you might wanna take a peek at.
Beatin'feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #38
Bus Geek

I upload the pics to imgur then post em using the image tool.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #39

Hi EastCoastCB and the rest of the Skoolie Community,

I'm an old acquaintance of WimMorre in the Cincinnati area. I've lurked and deemed much knowledge from this site for a few years now while working on my own bus project. I've definitely felt guilty for not giving back, but now is a good time to start. Also like Wim stated about himself- I'm not very savvy when it comes to computers so I haven't uploaded any pics - so thanks for the advice!
Wim is a great dude and human being and you'd be happy to have met him!
I just so happen to come across this Thread in the newsletter. Funny how things work out!

(Currently working on getting the rebuilt Cummins 8.3 ISC finished so it can be stuffed back into the 2000 Thomas Metro)
Beatin'feet is offline   Reply With Quote