Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Anyone know how much my bus weighs?

One of the things I should've done when I was driving my bus home, was to weigh it. After all I was in trucks stops several times where CAT® scales were present. Now I can't legally drive my bus and I need a number to write into the registration application. What is a good approximation of the weight of my 38 foot long Thomas Saf-t-liner HDX?

wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:33 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C60
Engine: 8.2 diesel "Fuel Pincher"
Rated Cap: GVWR 27000
There should be a GVWR. My understanding is that it is the fully loaded max legal weight. Is there any issue with using this weight? My numbers were on a tag inside the bus. It could be paper or metal.

It might have the figure on the previous title?

I’ll be following this to see what you find out.
meyermobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermobile View Post
There should be a GVWR. My understanding is that it is the fully loaded max legal weight. Is there any issue with using this weight? My numbers were on a tag inside the bus. It could be paper or metal.

It might have the figure on the previous title?

I’ll be following this to see what you find out.
The registration application asked for an empty weight and unloaded weight. I am assuming the loaded weight is the GVWR that is listed on the identification tag. There's no official documentation that I am aware of at least nothing on my title or my registration stating the empty weight, but that's what they want.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
The registration application asked for an empty weight and unloaded weight. I am assuming the loaded weight is the GVWR that is listed on the identification tag. There's no official documentation that I am aware of at least nothing on my title or my registration stating the empty weight, but that's what they want.
Isn't empty and unloaded the same thing? Ya, never heard them ask for empty weigh before.

For reference, My 37' Genesis, gutted weighed 19400lbs.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:52 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Judging by your profile picture, I'd guess 18,000 pounds.

Road tractors (sleeper, tandem axle) typically weigh between 15-20,000, usually in the 17,500 range. You have one less axle and a smaller engine but more steel bodywork to offset the difference.

If you give an educated guess as to the empty weight, keep in mind truck scales weigh to the nearest 20 pounds (per axle).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post

Road tractors (sleeper, tandem axle) typically weigh between 15-20,000, usually in the 17,500 range. You have one less axle and a smaller engine but more steel bodywork to offset the difference.

If you give an educated guess as to the empty weight, keep in mind truck scales weigh to the nearest 20 pounds (per axle).
18,000 is what I had in mind as well. Great minds think a like.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:01 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Isn't empty and unloaded the same thing?

I would think so, but there's also "Dry" weight and "Curb" weight. The former is with no fuel (sometimes with no fluids at all) and the latter is fully fueled, all fluids topped off and ready to drive - but otherwise with no passengers or cargo. In the automotive world you may also find "Shipping weight" which is usually all fluids full, except fuel which is just enough for jockeying around.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
I would think so, but there's also "Dry" weight and "Curb" weight. The former is with no fuel (sometimes with no fluids at all) and the latter is fully fueled, all fluids topped off and ready to drive - but otherwise with no passengers or cargo. In the automotive world you may also find "Shipping weight" which is usually all fluids full, except fuel which is just enough for jockeying around.
As you know, here in Ga. the only number they care about is GVWR, strange that Wisc. asks for all the others, empty, unloaded, and GVWR.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:16 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
As you know, here in Ga. the only number they care about is GVWR, strange that Wisc. asks for all the others, empty, unloaded, and GVWR.
The questions arise on the Vermont registration application and the terms are "empty weight" and "loaded weight". I learned that Wisconsin wanted to charge me $165 just for the title transfer fee, $371 in taxes and another $600 if I was to register it as it is a bus, which is all I can do until it is inspected and approved as a motorhome, at which time my registration cost would be $119. Vermont, with its easy motorhome conversion requirements, $35 title fee and $76 registration fee made registering in Wisconsin seem ridiculous.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:17 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Oddly enough, GA didn't even ask me about the GVWR. If they cared (I didn't have the title/registration converted to RV) they may have used whatever was in the national database.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:26 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
The questions arise on the Vermont registration application and the terms are "empty weight" and "loaded weight". I learned that Wisconsin wanted to charge me $165 just for the title transfer fee, $371 in taxes and another $600 if I was to register it as it is a bus, which is all I can do until it is inspected and approved as a motorhome, at which time my registration cost would be $119. Vermont, with its easy motorhome conversion requirements, $35 title fee and $76 registration fee made registering in Wisconsin seem ridiculous.
I think in your previous post you may have mistyped, you said empty and unloaded weights. Did you mean Empty and LOADED ?
I agree, as long as you don't run into an insurance dilemma, you should just go the Vt. route, it is so easy. here in Ga. when I bought my bus it cost over $200 for the title transfer, I did not register at that time knowing it would probably not be back on the road for a year. I only need to sign a non op document for that time when I register. I ended up going the Vt route only because the vanity plate I wanted was already in use here. When I transferred the title I had a conversation with them at that time about how to lower the GVWR on the title, the only weight related question on the forms.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oddly enough, GA didn't even ask me about the GVWR. If they cared (I didn't have the title/registration converted to RV) they may have used whatever was in the national database.
Wasn't it on the title you transferred? It may show on the VIN database.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:34 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Wasn't it on the title you transferred? It may show on the VIN database.

I ... don't remember. I'm sure it's in the VIN database. I think I have a photocopy of the WV title I could check. I simply reg'ed it as a "Private Passenger Vehicle" (which technically it is!), putting it in the same classification as any other car or minivan. $195 later (7% tax on sale price + $20 tag fee) and I was good to go.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think in your previous post you may have mistyped, you said empty and unloaded weights. Did you mean Empty and LOADED ?
I agree, as long as you don't run into an insurance dilemma, you should just go the Vt. route, it is so easy. here in Ga. when I bought my bus it cost over $200 for the title transfer, I did not register at that time knowing it would probably not be back on the road for a year. I only need to sign a non op document for that time when I register. I ended up going the Vt route only because the vanity plate I wanted was already in use here. When I transferred the title I had a conversation with them at that time about how to lower the GVWR on the title, the only weight related question on the forms.
Yes I mistyped. It's been easy going with National General on the insurance so far. They initially said they would cancel me at the end of 90 days if I didn't offer them some proof that I was working towards a conversion. I sent them some pictures of the bus with the seats removed and I've never heard from them again, aside from my monthly billing notice.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:09 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
My 38' bus before seat removal was 21,640 lbs, out of the dump it was about 20,620 lbs. The title I got with the bus claimed about 19,000 lbs empty. We did keep a half dozen seats and there was a couple of us in the bus so that's actually probably not that far off.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:05 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

18k is a good guess.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:19 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Mine is 18,000, after conversion, full of fuel and water. However it is 34ft and a gasser.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:11 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
my bus was in the 18k range when i got plates. i had to take a scale receipt in for an official weight, but they dropped the gvwr down to 25999, so cdl was not needed ever.