Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Apply for school bus driver position?

My main reason is to learn to handle big rig, and to learn vehicle.

I don't see myself driving school bus, unless I get solid education on it. Since I cannot afford to enroll in commercial driving school, this may ease my first step toward handling big machine.

Is it hard to get a job? How do I impress the interviewer or what are things that I can put down on a resume to get me a dream job?

kwang_yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
In my area, a school bus driver is a barely more than minimum wage job, if you can pass a drug test, the job is yours.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
When I bought our bus my wife signed up at our local school district to take the driving class which is offered free here just to learn to drive a bus, now she"s on her second year of driving & loves it, She started at $16.00 hr base plus makes extra for wheel chair kids & if they have to put vest on little kids. Oh & she only transports special needs kids. Other districts pay more BUT they don't provide free training.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderhut View Post
In my area, a school bus driver is a barely more than minimum wage job, if you can pass a drug test, the job is yours.
same here. Its a horrible gig I wouldn't wish upon anyone.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Come over here and drive my bus all you want, Kwang.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Used to be young people, now noticeably older generation, working at fast food joint, not very attractive job. I know because I worked there while I was in high school.

When I finished my education back in the 80s, we all had multiple offers from every company, often with hard-to-refuse incentives, like getting paid large cash bonus to sign employment contract. I didn’t pay a single penny to finish my basic education, and wouldn’t consider any company not offering full tuition plus education benefit toward advanced degree.

I’m afraid, today, I don't see much good jobs left in this country other than selling something, more like screwing someone else. Our corporate hogs, usually risen from sales background are busy transferring manufacturing basis to overseas to get themselves rich payouts, while people are hustling to get a job flipping a burger meats for a minimum wage.

I’m really surprised to hear school bus driver jobs are easy to get. There’s nothing like flipping hamburger meat all day long, sometime my flesh felt like potato fries. I wonder, I’m a vegetarian because I had enough of meat handling and frying grease.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I'd rather be flipping burgers than getting beat up by kids I'm not allowed to defend myself against. You couldn't pay me any amount of money to put up with peoples kids these days.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I understand your position.
All jobs come with good and bad, but I'm really interested in bus driving job.
I wouldn't mind disciplining a badly behaving child, no job is worth humiliating yourself. I read somewhere, Those who distance a rod from a child really hate a child.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
You could go drive a coach instead. Coach companies around here train drivers and pay double what school bus drivers make.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang_yi View Post
I understand your position.
All jobs come with good and bad, but I'm really interested in bus driving job.
I wouldn't mind disciplining a badly behaving child, no job is worth humiliating yourself. I read somewhere, Those who distance a rod from a child really hate a child.
In almost ALL school districts, the driver is NOT allowed to discipline the children passengers. It will cost them their jobs and quickly, too.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I learned English language as a second language, so it's not rare nor becoming embarrassing that I often found myself not conveying my thoughts to others.

I have no intention to become a modern day Don Quixote with phony romanticism. I read EastCoastCB's writing without moderation nor bias, but read his word per word as stated. If I'm attacked in a defenseless situation, I will not cringe and fold like a weasel but will defend myself, regardless of future consequences.

Badly behaving child is a result of abusive and stupid parents. Often, they will grow up to be a mirror image of their parent, and harms other people. I'm not talking about kids from poor family whose parents have to work like a dog and cannot afford to rearing their child in human like creature, but the opposite ones.

My golly, when I was in college, I knew many student worked as a private tutor for the residency of Beverly Hills due to close vicinity of school and the neighborhood, I know how they treat their child. I don't mind temporarily hardship, if I can save a child from a trash, and give him a meaningful life, what's more worthy? Many people regardless of their social status or financial capacity, they do show their abusive pattern inherited from their stupid parent.

Your life is not worth a crap if you cannot bring some good to human civilization. If you cannot make yourself useful to other people, call yourself a swine, and oink like a pig, because you don't deserve your life as a human being.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Defending ones self against a violent teen is against the law in most places, as unfortunate as that is.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Well, Kwang Yi the statement "If I'm attacked in a defenseless situation, I will not cringe and fold like a weasel but will defend myself, regardless of future consequences." is a feeling that many of us on here probably feel. However, it is not my position to correct other parents children nor for me to inform the parents of what they are doing wrong. The first position could & most likely would land me in jail & the second is not for me to do. I'm sure that I did things as a parent that others thought wrong, just as I see that happening now. Who's to say either one of us is wrong or right. It is only your way of thinking based on how you were raised.

I don't believe that debating right or wrong is in keeping with the sites intentions so I will say no more on that subject.

I would like to ask, in case I missed your reply----- are you asking about bus driving training as a means of learning to drive a skoolie? In that case, there are many here that can share their adventures, good or bad of their trainings.

If you are asking in regards to acquiring a bus driver position you may benefit from asking those in your area that are actually doing the job.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Mr. Yi has moved on.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
As he should...thanks, I didn't know. Medical reasons have kept me from here & I stop by a lot less than I would like.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:01 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
As he should...thanks, I didn't know. Medical reasons have kept me from here & I stop by a lot less than I would like.
You were lucky. I called him out in a bout of insomnia laced passive aggression, and he had the temerity to act like I'd insulted him. But then, he'd done that with a few others as well.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote