Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
april 11th skoolies beachin at the Basin!!!

Hear ye Hear ye april 11th at Arapahoe basin the will be some reserved beach parking for any and all skoolies to celebrate the start of spring and whatever else ya'll can think of celebrating fo no reason at all! I'll buy a lift ticket for any skoolie that can make it up the hill of hills. Thats right folks were talking 11,000ft+ free lift tickets and free beer and food to be sponsored by your highcountry locals. Personally, I'm hoping to have my version 2.0 skoolie with a kickin' solar sound system and upper deck in full effect by this time. Solar at altitude is intense. Either way we'll be beachin' at the basin and all are invited to the festivities whether it be bus, truck, car or pale legs. "we gonna do what they say can't be done!" You don't ski or snowboard you say? Come on up anyways and I'll put you to work holdin' down a lawn chair. I can hardly wait to see the view of the skoolies from the top of the mountain! Road conditions permitting!

recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66
Re: april 11th skoolies beachin at the Basin!!!

SOUNDS REALY COOL !!!!!

CAMO-MONSTER

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Skoolie

Contrary to how it might seem on the surface. And while it may be freezing and blowing sideways quite often up here in our high-altitude wonderland, truth be told when it comes to the high-altitude sun you can't beat the intensity. It can be 30 degrees in the shade and 60 degrees in the sun! no foolin'. I'd also like to add we'll be takin' requests and ideas to help this thing get as fun as it can be. It's not been uncommon in the past to see rented hot-tubs; hand crafted slip and slides and even the occasional inpromptu live-band to keep the people who don't care to venture up the hill more than content. Bring it people!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Skoolie

I'm beginning to think nobody has the cajones to represent! Come now surely some skoolies are ready to plan a trip to high-country. It's frickin' gorgeous and we love skoolies out here! Alright I dare you........
Old 12-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Skoolie

Let's up the ante for some motivation. I'll fill any wvo skoolies tank with filtered liquid gold if they can make it and give them an outlet to plug into if they aren't rolling with solar. Let's see...... what else is it gonna take people?
Old 12-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Humm free fuel? If I had veggie goin in my bus, I'd try to make it for sure.

I really hope fuel prices stay reasonable this summer, my bus sat parked most of last year...
Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Skoolie

Hey I'm there! Anyone who doesn't show up won't know what they're missing. We still got time for a deep fry-off? All grease will be turned into fuel.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Skoolie

Now we are a talkin'! Deep fry off 09' The die has been cast. Pretty sure that I can get my hands on a couple of pro-grade fryers on some kind of loan. Might as well have a griddle and a frickin' salad bar. (cogs begin to grind) I was thinkin' some kind of fire pit that sat above ground maybe like a burn barrel would help deter ullhers blade.(for the unannitiated ullher is the norse god of cold ass partyin) Believe I'll be bringin' some fat elk steaks for the barbie!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Skoolie

some days you wish you had six wheel drive. But, actually the road is usually clear and mostly dry on your average spring day. While it may get nasty we'll just have to wait and see. Best case is that it is clear and then dumps all day leaving the busses trapped with nothing to do but keep on keepin' on with fresh turns and cold beer.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
Skoolie

So, now this thing is going to get crazy! We are wokin' on the deep fry off being sort of a restaraunt(spell) v.s. restaraunt competition. That means lots more free food and more insanity. Got to get one or more of our local breweries to comp some kegs now! This is all got the support of the resort now so theres no limit to the fun!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Skoolie

Time is a tickin' and we have added a hot tub on a flatbed that will be run off a get this......solar powerd high-efficiency boiler! Oh yeah, solar powered hot tub fun at 11,000ft! Not to mention five kegs and a little bit of fresh snow on the way! If ya can't make it try for next year cause this thing is gonna get much more progressive. If I can make it, you can make it, and we can all make it more fun than most people have in front of their boob tubes gaining mass! Come one come all! Free food;beer;sun;tubbin;shredding;fun;and high country creative zaniness for those with the gumption!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

recycler i hope you all have a good time and the weather is stellar for ya wish i could be there timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
recycler i hope you all have a good time and the weather is stellar for ya wish i could be there timbuk
Yeah man, me too!

Make sure ya post some pics Recycler!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
Skoolie

Thanks guys and pics will become a reality. There is also gonna be a solar demo trailer that will be providing the off-grid power to party! That solar power is intense at 12,000ft!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Skoolie

Sorry it has taken so long to reveal how the skoolies beachin it at the basin went. Unfortunately my camera suffered a life-ending drop the day before the event......so no pics. But alas the event went off without a hitch! The hotub buried in the snow being run off a solar assisted high-efficiency boiler was a hit! The local resort network was there doing interviews as well as 9news from Denver! There were ample pork tenderloins being served next to 2 fine german kegs of brew! A mere few feet away there were many more kegs of the sierra variety. The weather was partly cloudy but definitely not cold and a blast was had by all. The resort was on our side for next year after viewing the concious set-up that we had kicking! The tunes were all being run off another solar demo trailer provided by Alternative energies of Colorado. I guess I should also plug the Heatmeister and his trailer which was running the tub. We kept a steady 106-109 degrees all day. The camp next to us provided the entertainment of a costume ball complete with a stripper-pole and a stripper-cage! The party got pretty wild for at least a couple of times the tops came off and hooting and a hollerin' intensified. The free lift tickets were a great help from the resort. Hopefully next year we will be holding it a week or two later so as to take advantage of increased popularity. Like I said before....We're gonna do what they say can't be done! For those that crave a "gathering" of the skoolies, this should be on your agenda! The weather is on everybody's side for it is not "overheating" weather. The mountains of Colorado are as beautiful as they can be with the white coating set against the green pines and contrasted with the Blue skies which in my experience is always more blue at high altitude. I'll be setting plans for next year and you should too! We were kinda thinking that a slip and slide with wetsuits would be a nice addition. Kansas is more central but Colorado is a lot more diverse of a landscape to use as your destination. However if someone wants to actually get something going in Kansas then I'll recruit the Colorado WVO crowd to show up. Wilson Lake wouldn't be bad....it has tons of fairly decent spots and beaches and boating/fishing opportunities to be harvested. Wherever it happens lets just do it! RECYCLER
Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #16
Skoolie

I found a video that summit county t.v. shot at the basin this last April 11th. www.sctv10.com is the web site. If you click the summit county link and then go to the high country conservation center section it is the most recent episode. The show is on the whole setup that we had going that day. The segment covers quite a bit so be patient as it tours through the booth and then hottub and then into my bus tour. Let me know if you have trouble finding it. There is a lot of info from the solar demo trailer to the way intense high efficiency boiler trailer that was running the tub. Lots of fun with people who do what is right! Give me some feedback people and don't hold your typing tongues!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

I watched all four segments of the April "Green Show, " after seeing the Mountain Mentors video from the following week's party by mistake.

The bus is featured in segment 2. A direct link to that segment is: http://www.sctv10.com/recent/green/s...%20Segment%202

Comments? The guests were pretty cool, but listening to the hosts was like fingernails on a blackboard. Sorry.

BTW, I thought Floyd Robertson and Earl Camembert did all the news reports for SCTV. Did Guy Caballero or Edith Prickley fire them?
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
Skoolie

Thanks for posting the direct link redbear! I didn't know how. It is funny the how the call sign is the same and the acting is similar as well! hehe! The girls don't get much airtime......or at least, they don't have a script. They were also drinking beer at the time. For that matter everyone on the segment was drinking beer! Not to mention your lips don't work right when it is cold! hehe! It sure was a fun day though and I hope more people plan on coming next year. It is a great time to travel as it isn't tourist time yet and the roads are clear!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Thats a great walkthrough in that video.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
Skoolie

Thanks Steve, I'm glad a guy of your calliber appreciated it!