Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #21
Bus Nut

I checked a campground in Florida (don't remember which one) They said they would accept skoolies only if they had their own holding tanks and a flush toilet (no porta potties)

bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Well it looks like I shouldn't have any worries then. I figured that after all, the state run campgrounds are run by state/county employees who don't have to worry so much about the campground, and the privately owned ones just want to see american green backs, for the most part...
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Now my dear sweet wife says that there are length restrictions at some campgrounds.... WHAT NEXT????
Old 09-26-2006, 12:22 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Unless you have a 96 passenger TC2000, I wouldn't worry about the length. Most diesel pusher stick and staples are in the 40 foot range. I know my bus fit on an 18x30 foot site....it's 36 feet long. You just need to take it out and prove the wife wrong.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
we parked in campgrounds towing either our cargo trailer or our jeep (52') and never had problems. We just asked to get a pull through site. I am sorry to hear your spouse is not online with the bus. It took a bit with my wife, but the first night she could sleep happy, dry, clean, and anywhere we wanted, she dug it right away. I just tried not to bore her all the time with conversion talk. Good luck. -Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
I don't know about private campgrounds, but I know that some of the national parks have a 36' length restriction, at least out west here. The one's with length restrictions usually have it listed with the 'amenities'. I don't know how common it is, since my bus is 37' long and figger'd it'd be OK, but I have seen this listed in campground guides.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Well fellas... Thanks for all your insights and tips as well as your experiences. I'm sure, just like captainkf says, after the first night.... It's just getting to that first night that's becoming the challange !! I'll be getting my bus out of the storage lot before long and see if I can get my but in gear and put my plans into action... Wish me luck...

All the best
oldog12
Old 09-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #28
Bus Nut

You'll find most commerical campgrounds only care about money, they don't care what you arrive in. There are a few out there that will slam the door in your face, I haven't been to one of them yet but they are out there. When it comes right down to it, money talks, BS walks...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:32 AM   #29
Bus Nut

I figure the same... At the state/county run campgrounds, they get a paycheck no matter who comes in, or what they come in...
Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 PM   #30
Bus Nut

We have camped in a few forest service camp grounds. Never a problem in fact the last time we went somebody had a converted 26' Penske truck. It was still yellow. Neither of us got a second look. Of course we are all red necks around here so nobody really looks twice at my bus.

My wife did not like it at first but after a couple of road trips not having to stop and pee at rest stops she was in love with the bus. She also liked the bus when it started raining and the wind kicked up.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

If you are going to have an issue with a campsite, it will be the uppity elitist R.V. parks, like the one's that cater to the multimillionaires. Some private sites will have what they call the "10 year rule." These will be the ones most likely to give a skoolie owner grief, especially if it's a redneck coach. Most of the sites with the "10 year rule" will typically only enforce it, if the vehicle is an obvious rolling wreck, and is typically applied to all RV's and conversions, not just skoolies. Since they are privately owned, they have the right to make such decisions.

Public places are under equal access rules, so this is why you'll never get turned away from a public campground short of flagrantly violating campground rules.

So, do your conversion right, make it look super sharp when it's done, and you should have little issue with finding plenty of both private and public places to stay.
2006 Chevy Aveo LS
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #32
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
How far north? I work in Superior, but I can get info anywhere around here. Hayward has a very nice KOA.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote