Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Ashtray

So I noticed the other day....my bus has a factory ashtray in the dash. Granted it's not in a convenient location really, i thought it was funny. I figure this is because Ford built the firewall and dash, but I thought it was an unlikely option on a 1989 bus....unfortunately there is no lighter there as a power outlet. Anyone else have an ashtray?

Old 05-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

well.....my bus had been hauling construction workers for a few years so apparently the whole thing was an ashtray.........and a trashcan...........and a spittoon......and.......well, you get the picture.
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Funny you should say that as my bus was owned by Lakehead Electric who operated in the mines of northern Minnesota so my whole bus was like that too There was lots of history in the cracks around the seats, etc as well....good ol' stuff like Big League Chew envelopes, Surge bottle caps, etc.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
My bus also has an ashtray and no cigarette lighter. Maybe they thought the tray was so useful they would just leave it in.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

I wish mine had a lighter All I have is the ashtray which is in a terribly inconvenient location anyway. I had to instead put an outlet right by my seat so I can use the 120v charger for my cell phone.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:26 AM   #6
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
I have plenty of lighters for you out of parts cars.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Well I can remember when I was a kid, our bus driver was smoking constantly. There was one gravel road we went down with a big bump in it. The guy would hit that bump as fast as that bus would go. Anybody in the back would hit the ceiling. We thought it was great. We threw stuff, made spit wads, were loud as hell and that dude just kept on driving and smoking. If we did something really bad, we got paddled at school with a big wooden plank. Those were the good ol days. Now, if my kid acts up in school, he gets a "time out" or he may miss 5 minutes of recess. BEAT HIS ASS I say. But no, everybody is a bunch of nancies now days. Matt
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Almost There

yeah my dad whooopin my ass did alot of good.

Spankin a kid doesnt do any ******* good, trust me. I was a trouble kid. Id take an ass whoopin, BFD!
ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Anyone who hits a child, in any way, shape or form, even once, under any circumstances should be publicly and horribly tortured to death.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Anyone who hits a child, in any way, shape or form, even once, under any circumstances should be publicly and horribly tortured to death.
I like the way you think, except I dont think my dad should be publicly tourtured for spanking me.

I love my dad, he just came from a differnt way of bringing up kids. Apparently spanking a kid with a belt is encouragement for them to do what you say. I was against my parents every day of my youth until I moved out. Spanking didnt do **** for me.

Apparently he thought kids are like dogs and you can train them with force, BAHAHAHA. I still remember when he actually made a reference to the psychology behind his parenting. I remember him 'training' our hunting dog with a choke chain instead of love. I remember him making a reference that this obviously didnt work on his kids.

I may be 27 now, but I still take delight in the fact that I am nothing what my parents had envisioned their kids would be like if they "raised them properly"

I think my parents are damned fools sometimes, but Im sure they'd say the same about me. Either way they support and love me regardless of my decisions in life, and thats what tells me they are good parents. I dont think spanking your kids, or even playing "Im the boss" is a good way to raise kids. They will just rebel against you. I know I did.
ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Skoolie

I have a 87 chevy bluebird it has a ashtray no lighter...
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Funny, but some people are able to properly raise children without resorting to torture. I'm deeply sorry that you appear to be incapable of doing so. Please do not ever breed under any circumstances. My father thought like you, & I still have the scars from it. I will wish for the rest of my life I had killed him when i had the chance.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I agree that there are times when a kid flat out need a spankin... ever watch talk shows with 14 year old girls who love to party, do drugs, have sex with dozens of men ect... & what’s the mom saying the whole time "she wont listen to me" well mom a few years back maybe a few spankin's were in order.

I think that everyone can agree that there is a fine line between discipline and abuse/torture.

I don’t have kids of my own, just my opinion.

Oh and my bus dosent have an ashtray, but it has a bigger try thing that I use for pens, loose change & my wallet at times.

On a lighter note whats this line from?

Paddlin’ the school canoe, that’s a paddlin’.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Ashtrays anyone?

Oh yeah...just gonna through this out there. Last I had heard, and I do hear because my mom head the health department for the largest school disctrict in the county, Minnesota was the only state where it was absolutely illegal to spank a child at all. Of course I got spanked every once in a while and I turned out just fine for the most part.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Hehe....I knew about the statute, but what I remember my mother saying (and she said it was B.S.) is that an extremely liberal judge had set precident by saying by saying spanking was unreasonable force. That said, I'm pretty sure a prosecuter would have a hard time nailing you down on spaking charges.

Hey mods...is it possible to start a category specifically for politically and morally driven topics such as ashtrays and spanking?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #16
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
My dad used to say, "Go ahead and call the Police. Just remember, if I go to jail I'll be really pissed when I get out and I know where you live". I think the force he used was very reasonable
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
. . .I'm pretty sure a prosecuter would have a hard time nailing you down on spaking charges. . .
They don't in NC, I can tell you from first-hand experience (off-post) about a family of 8 who are still trying to piece their lives back together due to the wayward, rebelious actions of ONE child, and the corrupt NC judicial system.

I used to come to this forum because it was kind of an escape from some of the realities. I guess I'll never be free of it.

I DO respect all of you folks' opinions, and defend your right to them, and I know that this is the correct area on this site for this discussion, but I'm going to exercise my right to not follow any more of this thread.

See you all on the other threads on this great board. If anyone posts a poll about ashtrays, I'll participate in it!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #18
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Quote:
The Simpson's isnt' it? Sounds like part of the speil of the old guy from the nursing home when he was a substitute teacher ....
Old 07-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Haha! Good to know there are other cartoon aficionados out there.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd
Quote:
The Simpson's isnt' it? Sounds like part of the speil of the old guy from the nursing home when he was a substitute teacher ....
Correct!

I always think of that when I think about paddlin' a kid.