Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

Asking about resources ect.

So I am a single father of 1 I have a son named Marley he is 5. I was recently part of corporate America living the dream they call it. Not really my idea of the dream but I was doing what society expects. Get a job have a kid buy a house and do on. Well I got as far as renting a house and was I the process my job I had given years to decided to not renew our project contract and laid off the whole department I including my self who was a manager and I gave all my time to them overtime early mornings late nights. Shortly after I wasn't able to keep my home the engine in my blew out and left me unable to find a new job and a new place. Since then my son and I have been moving a lot and things have been very unstable. So I figured now is the time I pursue my dream and have a stable place to stay that's mine and I can take anywhere and have a sense of security again.

So now I have that all out of the way what I am looking for is advice on how to find a bus and how I can get this done as cheap as possible. Are there any types of Grant's or fundraising things that I can try. My savings has been destroyed from staying in hotels and feeding us. So at this point I have less that 200 bucks To my name and im starting a new job next week. I don't even know where to begin on buying a bus what ones are reliable and diesel I'd imagine is better. Please let me know of any information or resources you all might know of and in open to any and all advice. I have watched hours of YouTube's k. Different builds and I know 100000% this is what I want to do. Thank you so much all , Freedom R. (Yes freedom is my real name )

FreedomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You're in for some intense education. Read every single thing on this forum and every one of your questions will be answered here. Welcome to the addiction.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

Thank you I have been going through them intensely . Ever since i was a kid I thought it would be incredible to have this lifestyle I appreciate your response. If you have any suggestions as to where to start on the basis of funding assistance and Grant's I'd also appreciate that!
Old 01-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomR View Post
So I am a single father of 1 I have a son named Marley he is 5. I was recently part of corporate America living the dream they call it. Not really my idea of the dream but I was doing what society expects. Get a job have a kid buy a house and do on. Well I got as far as renting a house and was I the process my job I had given years to decided to not renew our project contract and laid off the whole department I including my self who was a manager and I gave all my time to them overtime early mornings late nights. Shortly after I wasn't able to keep my home the engine in my blew out and left me unable to find a new job and a new place. Since then my son and I have been moving a lot and things have been very unstable. So I figured now is the time I pursue my dream and have a stable place to stay that's mine and I can take anywhere and have a sense of security again.

So now I have that all out of the way what I am looking for is advice on how to find a bus and how I can get this done as cheap as possible. Are there any types of Grant's or fundraising things that I can try. My savings has been destroyed from staying in hotels and feeding us. So at this point I have less that 200 bucks To my name and im starting a new job next week. I don't even know where to begin on buying a bus what ones are reliable and diesel I'd imagine is better. Please let me know of any information or resources you all might know of and in open to any and all advice. I have watched hours of YouTube's k. Different builds and I know 100000% this is what I want to do. Thank you so much all , Freedom R. (Yes freedom is my real name )
it WILL get better for you - been there, done that and more - keep pushing - be independent if the corporate life isn't cutting it for you - keep the faith in yourself and things WILL work out
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

Thank you so much I love this site people here are amazing I'm so glad I found it through YouTube
Old 01-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Everything seems to be moving towards a "gig economy" so your best bet may be to adapt your skill set to working on a contract basis. And for anyone wanting to live a Gypsy lifestyle, that is about the only type of work that will fit anyway.

Personally, I never did buy into the whole employee/employer model. Worked for myself most of my life. Was "gainfully employed" maybe seven years out of 60. Still not committed to building someone else's dream.

Best of luck.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomR View Post
Thank you I have been going through them intensely . Ever since i was a kid I thought it would be incredible to have this lifestyle I appreciate your response. If you have any suggestions as to where to start on the basis of funding assistance and Grant's I'd also appreciate that!
We're a DIY set mostly.
I mow lawns.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, bus build, help me!, resources, starting out