Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
One more thing to aid you in your quest for knowledge: TIP: Better skoolie.net search

Much better than the built-in skoolie search.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Austin,
The one thing I have noticed nobody has asked here, or your conversion thread, is what are your intentions for the bus? I'm not going to disagree with the thoughts here on pulling roof panels, and spray foaming and doing things in a perfect world if you plan on living in your bus full time. If you are just using it for a "rv" then anything you do will be a huge improvement over a stick and staple. Just make sure it is sealed up on the outside to keep water out. If you have unlimited time to work on the bus then I say go all out. If you are like me and have very little "free time" then you have to decide on what you are willing to compromise on the build or else it will take years to complete. Mine took a year and a half to get to the point of usable for the family. Four years later I'm still finishing things. Check out my thread sometime, start here with the framing http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...er-5819-5.html After reading this thread apparently I have done everything wrong. But I can say I'm happy with it and that's what matters. I have tried to update things I regret as I go along. All I can say is I'm using it and enjoying it and not just typing about it.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
If I can convince my boss to let me play around with some modeling software I might build a bus model.
that would only elevate you to god-status, and I think there are already 5-6 of those here already
dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks Eliza...I was anxious to add my 2 cents but wanted to read through before I did.

Much of what Nat says tends to "piss off many", me included but I, along with others tend to laugh it off and lay blame on the ramblings of a child.

Those of us with any age and "life experiences" know how to make statements that get the point across without causing much strife.

Nat....you could probably answered the question in less time than it takes for you to attempt to make people feel like childish, stupid, lazy idiots. Or better still, leave out your two cents about babysitting us and work on utilizing your time more effectively putting a floor down in your shell for that new baby to crawl on.

I do enjoy what you have to say and as I do not have a clue, think you come across as being very knowledgeable, but you really should see if the local college or library has any books about "making friends & influencing people"

Also, Jazty I agree skoolies search engine really does bite. There is way too much history and information here and at this point not sure there really is much that can be done to aid us in finding what we want to know here. If anyone knows how to retrieve the information we need in a more productive manner please, please, please tell us how....(and start a new thread...don't make us search for how to do it)

It actually is easier to ask the same question and hope for the help needed than it is to read through years worth of information over & over & over.

And, believe it or not, it tends to help the new people feel more at home and welcomed here.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO ANSWERS THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:01 AM   #65
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
If anyone knows how to retrieve the information we need in a more productive manner please, please, please tell us how....(and start a new thread...don't make us search for how to do it).
Hey what now? That's what I did! reread post #61 above and follow the link. It points to a thread on a better method to search skoolie.net
Old 06-14-2015, 12:09 AM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Its easier for a new member to ask a question than to sort through a lot of the ramblings and political propaganda that much of the older stuff is riddled with.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Jatzy, I remembered that post....must admit I haven't tried it yet.

Let's say, I'm brand new to this site, first time. If I want information I would look for a search button.

So far so good. I type in what I want and I find very little.

What is needed here is a way for people to get the info that google.com supplies without having to leave the site to find it.

As I previously said I remembered your thread, but shoots some days I don't even remember my own name let alone where to go to find the link you posted.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #68
Bus Nut

you could embed this somewhere?
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...48:rtpm1udftus
Old 06-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Tried a few searches and it gave me excellent results. I filed it in my favorites folder directly under SKOOLIES.

Thanks Dredman.....(still dreaming of having the same results within this site though)
Old 06-15-2015, 06:34 AM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvbuzz View Post
Austin,
The one thing I have noticed nobody has asked here, or your conversion thread, is what are your intentions for the bus? I'm not going to disagree with the thoughts here on pulling roof panels, and spray foaming and doing things in a perfect world if you plan on living in your bus full time. If you are just using it for a "rv" then anything you do will be a huge improvement over a stick and staple. Just make sure it is sealed up on the outside to keep water out. If you have unlimited time to work on the bus then I say go all out. If you are like me and have very little "free time" then you have to decide on what you are willing to compromise on the build or else it will take years to complete. Mine took a year and a half to get to the point of usable for the family. Four years later I'm still finishing things. Check out my thread sometime, start here with the framing http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...er-5819-5.html After reading this thread apparently I have done everything wrong. But I can say I'm happy with it and that's what matters. I have tried to update things I regret as I go along. All I can say is I'm using it and enjoying it and not just typing about it.
I discussed my needs in my intro thread (see the first thread I ever posted). What I'm looking for is to have a functional spare bedroom/bathroom by November (maybe 15-20 weekends worth of work). I'd like to get as much done on weekends between now and November to make it to where my wife and I have a livable spare bedroom/bathroom for Thanksgiving. In January I'll start completing the build so that I'll have a relatively good RV by May/June of next year (another 15-20 weekends).

I'm a little worried about ripping the interior sheet metal out at this point in time. Doing that forces me to address any problems with the exterior sheet metal right now. I could easily spend over a third of my work days between now and November repairing the sheet metal. I understand that now is the best time in the project to address those problems, but it could cause me to not meet my schedule. It'd be better for me to find a quick fix that I can complete in one or two weekends right now, and worry about doing it right a year or two down the road.

I'd considered bedliner or some kind of rubberized paint on the inside as a quick fix to keep any leaks away until I can get around to repairing/painting the exterior next spring. That idea was not well accepted by some people here.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
I'd considered bedliner or some kind of rubberized paint on the inside as a quick fix to keep any leaks away until I can get around to repairing/painting the exterior next spring. That idea was not well accepted by some people here.
It has nothing to do with what is accepted by some people on here.

Nothing you paint on the inside will do anything to stop leaks.

Leaks must be stopped from the outside of the bus.

That is not a opinion, it is Fact.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Nat is correct.
Bedlining the interior will do nothing. I will make a mess and that's about it. I may reduce road noise a tad.
Seal from the outside, not the inside.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
It sounds like you're wanting to seal any leaks on the outside to keep water from getting in. I hope you find something that works.

Here is something that you may consider using down the road when and if you ever consider doing major reconstruction on the inside. They sell both an insulating spray on and also a sound deadener that sprays on. It has great reviews. They are also right here in Houston. Good luck with your build.
Spray-On Insulation - Automotive Insulation Coatings | LizardSkin
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #74
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
It sounds like you're wanting to seal any leaks on the outside to keep water from getting in. I hope you find something that works.

Here is something that you may consider using down the road when and if you ever consider doing major reconstruction on the inside. They sell both an insulating spray on and also a sound deadener that sprays on. It has great reviews. They are also right here in Houston. Good luck with your build.
Spray-On Insulation - Automotive Insulation Coatings | LizardSkin
The Marvels used it on their Crown conversion, IIRC

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #75
Bus Nut

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Yeah, I read all their posts. That is one beautiful bus. Wish I had the funds to make mine that nice.
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #76
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
It has nothing to do with what is accepted by some people on here.

Nothing you paint on the inside will do anything to stop leaks.

Leaks must be stopped from the outside of the bus.

That is not a opinion, it is Fact.

Nat
Agreed.

Think about this Austin.. So you have a leak. Water is getting into the walls, floors and roof, rusting out the bus. And you're thinking you want to allow the rotting to continue and build a waterproof bubble inside the bus?
Ok.. so you do that. You could build an encapsulated, waterproof capsule inside the bus. What's happening to that leak? It just keeps letting water in and rotting your bus away. Not only that, but this waterproof capsule will probably end up accelerating the rot by keeping the moisture trapped up against the steel.
In a couple years your waterproof capsule is lying out in the open on top of a pile of iron oxide with some wheels and windshield glass lying around.
Ok, that last statement is a slight exaggeration, but why would you put any work into the bus interior if you're just letting the structure rot? Maybe if you were disposing of it next year..
Sealing it from the inside isn't sealing at all. Sealing is done from the outside. Water coming through the roof of your house? You don't "seal" the ceiling drywall with some bedliner, you fix the leak in the roof.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Agreed.
Sealing is done from the outside. Water coming through the roof of your house? You don't "seal" the ceiling drywall with some bedliner, you fix the leak in the roof.
You roll the condom on the outside too, even when bedliner might look and feel cool on the inside
Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #78
Bus Crazy

Haha.. thanks dredman. Talking from experience?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Haha.. thanks dredman. Talking from experience?
Bedliner.......for HER pleasure
Old 06-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #80
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I shouldn't but.. oh.. here you go. The DIY bedliner kits can cause complications; proceed with caution. It gets everywhere you never thought it would. How Do I Get Herculiner Off of My Hootus?! - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote