Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Attention Members

Thanks.

Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

If I understand the ads, as explained on other websites, Steve gets paid when you click on an ad to view it, and less money or none if you ignore it. Until there is another way to donate directly, or for those who would like to donate but are strapped, it wouldn't hurt to take a peek now and then at possibly irrelevant goods and services, in order to support the Skoolie cause.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Skoolie

Every ad network I've seen prohibits "begging for clicks." If their system detected an unusual number of suspicious clicks (multiple clicks from the same ip, a higher percentage of people clicking ads but not following through with a purchase, etc.) they'll either just dock your account for money associated with those click-thrus, or they may investigate further and actually disable the account completely. Seeing a post like above wouldn't look good in a review.

I have a high-traffic site, and ads just barely cover the hosting fees as of now (my fees are higher than most, I have two dedicated servers for it). Used to make a decent amount until the economy tanked.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

It appears to be Google AdSense, which has a lot of logic to detect fraudulent clicks.

In any case, I don't mind clicking through on an ad that appears to be interesting to me. I don't bother clicking through ads that aren't. I've seen 1 ad so far that I clicked thru, but it turned out it wasn't useful for me. *shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by josetann
I have a high-traffic site, and ads just barely cover the hosting fees as of now (my fees are higher than most, I have two dedicated servers for it). Used to make a decent amount until the economy tanked.
I currently pay $240 a year (actually, $19.95 times 12) for a service that provides me with 24G of disk space, 360M of RAM for my processes, and 200GB/month network transfer. I actually have two of them, each located in a different data center (one in california, one in texas). Both are involved in providing a download mirror for a project I support, and I've never exceeded my bandwidth allocation (or even come close really). The company providing my virtual servers is Linode, and I've been extremely happy with them over the years.

They provide different plans at different price points, primarily differentiated by more RAM and more disk storage. For people that pay by the year instead of by the month, they grant a 50% increase in disk storage (my plan is 16GB, but I have 24GB).

I have no affiliation with them other than being an extremely happy customer of theirs. Over time, they keep increasing the specs for each plan level, and adding more disk space, and not raising their rates. When I started, I was paying for a 64MB box, with 1 or 2G of disk, and maybe 5GB network traffic per month. Since it is a virtual server, I have control over all parts of what is running in my host. A previous hosting provider I used insisted on having their own root account on my machine, and I never was comfortable with that. For a mere $20 bucks for a month, it might be worth checking them out for anyone that is currently paying more than that.

I think it is entirely too easy to take a resource like skoolie.net for granted. It is even easier to take for granted the amount of work that goes into keeping such a site running smoothly. Kudos to Steve for all his efforts.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

Am I stupid?

I can't see any ads. I will gladly look at as many ads as is necessary or send whatever is needed to keep things up and running, just need to know where to look or click, or send the check.

Let us know what is needed Steve!
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

There is nothing virtual about skoolie.net's servers. Steve needs to post up the pictures of the home of skoolie.net.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

Hay dare Steve, money tight and times are hard but if i can I want to help. I very much enjoy the Skoolies. Please send me a P.M. on how I can send some help. Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote