Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Auction question

I’ve been checking some of the auctions sites for buying & building a skoolie. Started to notice some strange things.
1. Being same item on multiple sites
2. Seller selling on auction but listen at his business for same bus .
I know some of this is normal for people.
I just have a hard time putting up a retainer so I can bid. Then when I do some searching. Folks are saying hard to get your deposit to bid money back if you do not win.

Is this what we have come to. . If it is I’ll find something cash in hand.

Here is a list of some I’ve been looking at for auction companies. Any feedback would be appreciated

Govdeals
Purple wave
Ridesafely
Public surplus
A better bid

Just to name a few
TIA

Dr mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Normally when they take your bid deposit it just puts a hold on the money, usually $25-$50, until the auction ends. They only charge the card for the money if you are a non paying bidder.
Do you have any examples of an item on Govdeals or public surplus that is listed elsewhere?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Not on govdeals or surplus. Mainly question are they good to work with

Now some others I should have rephrased my question I reckon
Let’s say if you search this
1GDHG31F8W1077801 It will come up on ridesafely and s better deal along with another one.

https://www.auctiondeals.com/index.c...5&acctid=11537

See Our Available Used Cars - Bibbs Auto Recycling

Same mini. Broom is in both adds
Old 03-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Here's how public surplus explains it:

A bid deposit transaction functions as a hold on available funds, either on a credit card or a debit card. The way this hold function depends on whether it is placed on a credit card or a debit card.

In the case of a credit card, the available credit is reduced by the amount of the bid deposit. For example, if the available credit on your credit card is $1,800, a bid deposit of $100 will reduce the available credit to $1,700. However, the $100 bid deposit is not charged against your card. Your card balance is not increased, and you do not pay interest on the bid deposit amount. When the auction is stopped by the selling agency, or when the auction closes and you are not the high bidder, we submit a release hold transaction to our merchant account. When your bank receives and posts the release hold transaction, the available credit on your credit card will increase by that amount. Usually, it is within 5-7 business days.
In the case of a debit card, the amount of available funds in the account linked to the debit card - for example, a checking account - is reduced by the amount of the bid deposit. For example, if the balance in the checking account linked to your debit card is $2,000, and the available balance in that account is $1,800 (perhaps because a $200 debit card purchase hasn't been posted yet) a bid deposit of $100 will reduce the available account balance to $1,700. However, the $100 bid deposit is not removed from your checking account, and only the available balance in the account is reduced, not the actual balance. When the auction is stopped by the selling agency, or when the auction closes and you are not the high bidder, we submit a release hold transaction to our merchant account. When your bank receives and posts the release hold transaction, the available balance in your checking account will be increased by that amount.

If you are the winner of an auction and then default on your commitment to pay for the item, the hold for the bid deposit amount will be converted to a charge against your debit or credit card.

Please continue to read the Bid Deposit help link next to the bid field on the auction page each time you place a bid to find out about the current bid deposit process.
Regards,
Buyer Support

I hear what they say, my auction ended Yesterday and haven't had the hold released yet. I imagine it will happen on Monday.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr mac View Post
Not on govdeals or surplus. Mainly question are they good to work with

Now some others I should have rephrased my question I reckon
Let’s say if you search this
1GDHG31F8W1077801 It will come up on ridesafely and s better deal along with another one.

https://www.auctiondeals.com/index.c...5&acctid=11537

See Our Available Used Cars - Bibbs Auto Recycling

Same mini. Broom is in both adds
Your first link is for a bus being offered for sale. You can BIN from 2 different sites, for different prices($600&$650) It will go to a live auction later which at that time if it's still available will get pulled from the previous listing. Anyone can have an auction and decline any offer. That vehicle is not being offered through a government auction.The shorty also is being listed locally for sale before it goes to auction at a later date. On the 3rd one, I don't see a problem with trying to sell your item locally and pulling it from a current auction if the reserve hasn't been met.

Couple things I notice. The White and Blue cutaway is 20 miles from, if you're interested you could talk me into looking at it for you. The one in N.J. I would have closed the page as soon as I saw what state it was in.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

The only auction sites I’ve dealt with were Ebay and Gun broker.
Well looks like I’ll see how it goes.
Will bid on one in EatontonbGa. 6 windows.
I reckon I’ll see how I do.

I did learn one thing from my Missouri State Troopers. All these years I thought I had to have air brakes if I bought a air brake vehicle.
Go figure not if for a personal vehicle.
So I can now bid on whatever. Brake system
Old 03-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
A quick check of the Govdeals site - the one bus matching that description has hydraulic brakes - and 6-lug wheels. Fairly close to the bus I have (though mine has air brakes and a manual transmission).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah and it has s At454
Can not seem to locate one with a 7.3 and a 5 speed. 6-8 window
Old 03-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on Govdeals and have no complaints, but know your subject well and read between the lines as they are vague on details, call if need be. I just bought a completely rebuilt Rockwell pumpkin with 4.33 gears with a little surface rust for $25, it's worth about $2000. Also bought a 1995 IH single axle dump truck with a DT466 and Allison 3060 double overdrive transmission with only 25,000 certified miles off Govdeals for $8400. It's a beautiful truck but the frame is rusting in pieces, got it N of Chicago in a little town called Woodstock, you know, where they filmed Ground Hog days, there claim to fame. Gonna pull the 427 and 640 allison and put these pieces in my bus that's why I need a better rear ratio then a 6.83. The IH as a 6.5 Rockwell and the engine turns 2500 RPM, red line, at 68 MPH, drinks fuel. My buddies motor home has an 8.3 with the 3060 and turns 1800 RPM at 70 MPH with a 4.6 gear and gets 12 MPG. Of course mine is going to get turned up and a larger turbo during the transfer.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yeah and it has s At454
Can not seem to locate one with a 7.3 and a 5 speed. 6-8 window

WV surplussed a few of 'em a couple years ago. McDowell County, to be exact. They still had a bunch when I picked mine up. Wouldn't hurt to give 'em a call and see if any are coming up for retirement.

A word of caution - mine had 5.38 rear gears and a top speed of 55 (by RPM's, not computer governed). I will be regearing mine soon to 3.91, which should give me a top end of 75, or lower RPM's at lower speeds.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
WV surplussed a few of 'em a couple years ago. McDowell County, to be exact. They still had a bunch when I picked mine up. Wouldn't hurt to give 'em a call and see if any are coming up for retirement.

A word of caution - mine had 5.38 rear gears and a top speed of 55 (by RPM's, not computer governed). I will be regearing mine soon to 3.91, which should give me a top end of 75, or lower RPM's at lower speeds.
With that combo you will lose all you bottom end performance. I would only go that high if my plan was to spend many hours on the road at speed.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

How did you get something like that shipped or were you close.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
"They still had a bunch when I picked mine up."
Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
With that combo you will lose all you bottom end performance. I would only go that high if my plan was to spend many hours on the road at speed.

It already has a very low first gear, considering it was driven in the WV mountains. I do, in fact, plan to make it a highway cruiser.

Quote:

Quote:
"They still had a bunch when I picked mine up."

Had someone drive me up to get it (I'm in GA). McDowell is in the very southern part of WV. Made the round trip in one day, but with a 55 top speed, I did get home pretty late.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
The only auction sites I’ve dealt with were Ebay and Gun broker.
Well looks like I’ll see how it goes.
Will bid on one in EatontonbGa. 6 windows.
I reckon I’ll see how I do.

I did learn one thing from my Missouri State Troopers. All these years I thought I had to have air brakes if I bought a air brake vehicle.
Go figure not if for a personal vehicle.
So I can now bid on whatever. Brake system
That 6 window has quite a bit of miles and wear showing and its already close to a couple grand.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've got extreme highway gearing and have never noticed any lack of bottom end pull. I do have a fairly powerful Cat in a shorty but I'd not really be too worried about the bottom end. These things REALLY suffer on the highway with the low school route gearing, typically.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
It already has a very low first gear, considering it was driven in the WV mountains. I do, in fact, plan to make it a highway cruiser.

Had someone drive me up to get it (I'm in GA). McDowell is in the very southern part of WV. Made the round trip in one day, but with a 55 top speed, I did get home pretty late.
My 3.42 rear sure is nice on the highway. 3.90-4.44 is a nice range of ratios for most school buses being repurposed, IMO. I've had a range of buses with everything from 3.42-5.38 and the highway gearing is THE cat's pajamas. especially for those of us with no OD.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah. Hard to say what price will be in it.

I keep looking for 6-8 windows. Not many in my part of the country it seems.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah. Hard to say what price will be in it.

I keep looking for 6-8 windows. Not many in my part of the country it seems.
I've gotten one from CO, one from TX, and one from GA.
I'm in "bus country" here in FL but its best to buy elsewhere and sell here.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've got extreme highway gearing and have never noticed any lack of bottom end pull. I do have a fairly powerful Cat in a shorty but I'd not really be too worried about the bottom end. These things REALLY suffer on the highway with the low school route gearing, typically.
If you had the lower gear and then changed I think you would notice a big difference.