Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Austin conversion assistance?

I admire so many of you for doing your bus home conversions yourselves. I have neither the tools nor the know-how, but do have money to pay someone else to help me. Is there anyone in Austin who would be interested in doing a school bus home conversion for/with me? Please let me know if you have any leads and thank you!

chickadee020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Why not buy an already converted bus? That solves lots of issues for you such as licensing and registration. The floor plan of a completed build can be easily changed within limits.

Have you got a parking space for a bus? Also have you checked on insurability?
Old 04-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Robin, thank you for responding! I am open to buying an already converted bus. Some of the considerations are that since we want to make this our first home investment, we want to make sure it's exactly what we want, and that the bus itself is in really good shape as well as the interior being really nice. We also want the bus to be able to be off grid, which is what Charlie offers to do in Denver.

We were planning on leaving our home in Austin once the bus is ready, and we do not have parking space here. Well, I guess we could use our driveway for a little while.

I've searched the internet for already converted buses in Texas, just haven't seen anything that caught my attention yet. But I am open to any and all suggestions!
chickadee020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Check out my response in your other thread........

M1031A1
Old 04-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
My thoughts are that if you buy a working bus conversion it will already have water, sewer, electrical and other items already done. You don't sound like you want to install sewer tanks under a bus. What I'm saying is if the heavy work, like insulation, plumbing and heat are already done you could easily change the interior to suite your needs. Honestly the floorplans of most buses are remarkably similar because we can't get away from that bowling alley down the middle. There just aren't that many different ways a person can arrange the interior. Your floor plan will likely be similar to others here because there are only so many places you can hang waste tanks on a bus that pre-decide where your bathroom will be.
You'll run into floorplan issues, out of necessity, even if you have someone else build your bus.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Yup, Robin is right on with his info
Old 09-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #7

Hey Chickadee,

On The Bus Podcast here and currently in Austin looking to make some edits to my already converted skoolie. Any tips or advice when it comes to storing and making repairs the vehicles or ways in which I can help with yours would be lovely.

My number is 954-892-7017 looking forward to connecting
thenomadicbusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #8

Anyone ever find help?

We are in San Antonio looking for assistance with conversion, in particular with plumbing and electrical. Anyone have any contacts in Texas that can assist with this?
Sdmullennix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assistance, austin, conversion, home, texas