Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's better than trying to squirt them with the windshield washers.
Squirting with windshield juice isn't going to work. My Lancer has no fluid so I'd try to get you to squirt.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
If they tried drafting me on my trip home, they would have gotten an oily mess on the windshield. Lol

This is why Tisha rode in the back. Thought she was leaking coolant at first. The guy at the bus yard just topped off the radiator. Everything is hot now and the expansion tank is over flowing. No biggie. Man that's a lot of coolant. Hmmm. Holy shits!! It's running red on my windshield. There's only one fluid that's red. PULL OVER!!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Hey, that's another good use for a backup camera. Put it in the engine compartment.

See, back on track just that easy.
Was actually thinking that since the monitor accepts two video feeds. Maybe once I get used to driving the behemoth.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Was actually thinking that since the monitor accepts two video feeds. Maybe once I get used to driving the behemoth.
I think an audio feed from the engine compartment would actually be more useful and diagnosing if there's a problem while on the road

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
My audio from the engine compartment is too loud as it is!

I put one of those wireless backup cameras on mine and it's mostly great. I mounted it at the top of the bus looking down, I can just barely see my back bumper ad the edge. My back windows are covered so that's the only way to see what's directly behind me.

Everyone thought it was strange to put it on top looking down instead of right off the back, but I get a great view of what's behind me, plus if I have my storage rack installed i can keep tabs on that as well.

One time I was backing into a parking spot and had another foot to go before I was in, and the roof of the building came into view. The overhang stuck out really far, and I would have smashed right through it without the camera. Saved my butt.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Running audio would be great. Right after you do a 180° phase shift!! Noise cancelling. I think I'll be able to hear a passenger but I damn sure couldn't hear anything on the phone.

Quote:
One time I was backing into a parking spot and had another foot to go before I was in, and the roof of the building came into view. The overhang stuck out really far, and I would have smashed right through it without the camera. Saved my butt.
Good point!! I was planning on going high just for a better angle. I can see out of my rear windows in the OEM bus. No clue what it'll be like built. Anywho, I can't see anything behind me that is shorter than about 5'6". The gf is 5'4", I swear it was an accident and had nothing to do with her mouthing off.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #27
Bus Geek

My gf is about 5'1" and I always tell her I'm going to tie a balloon to her so I can find her in a store.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
My gf is about 5'1" and I always tell her I'm going to tie a balloon to her so I can find her in a store.
Dude, you've no idea (ok, you probably do) how many times I wanted to steal the fiberglass flag pole off a big wheel or whatever. My gf has never heard of the phrase "look with your eyes, not your hands" so every time we pass the towel aisle she stops to pet the towels. She disappears down the aisle and 6 aisles later I turn around and she's gone.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Yeah I mentioned this discussion to her and she might be a long lost evil twin. Mine likes to pet the towels and sometimes the clothes, and pick things to pick shake them to see what's inside.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah I mentioned this discussion to her and she might be a long lost evil twin. Mine likes to pet the towels and sometimes the clothes, and pick things to pick shake them to see what's inside.
There's one "sometimes". She doesn't even want whatever it is she's petting. At least mine doesn't pick things up to see what's inside of them.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Last year I bought a Rear View Safety camera system when Costco had them on sale. It's one of the best things I've ever done to the bus. For backing into a narrow parking spot at night when I can't see the wall behind in the mirrors, it's invaluable. I mounted the camera above the rear window, and it shows the entire rear bumper and about 6 feet behind. The monitor is next to the left outside mirror so I don't need to move my head at all to see the monitor and mirror. I can switch it on when driving, and it has a microphone to hear what's happening - I can even check my exhaust while driving! I also mounted two 55W floodlights under my rear bumper as reversing lights, but the camera's own IR LEDs do a good job of seeing in the dark without those lights on.

Well worth it.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the writeup for the Amazon item linked in the first message of this thread states:

"Note: Please do not have the camera in the rain for a long time."

I'd say that disqualifies it. Also, that's just me but I prefer Standard English to Engrish in the body text of the ad.

It's good to know that this stuff is so cheap. When I get to build mine out, I can think of about 6 different places to put cameras, and a good case for putting a screen in a waterproof case just below either rearview.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I agree, a household video security system reconfigured for a bus would be great. That shouldn't be all that difficult to set up.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

I put one of those wireless backup cameras on mine and it's mostly great. I mounted it at the top of the bus looking down, I can just barely see my back bumper ad the edge. My back windows are covered so that's the only way to see what's directly behind me.

Everyone thought it was strange to put it on top looking down instead of right off the back, but I get a great view of what's behind me, plus if I have my storage rack installed i can keep tabs on that as well.

I like them mounted high, too.
The low ones don't seem to do any good for me.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
As a total newby, who hasn't even seen her bus... or even been in a school bus in decades...
I am trying to buy a backup camera online before picking up the bus... so both being sight unseen, can anyone recommend a specific model that will mount easily up high on the bus?
I see some wireless systems with a magnet camera mount... will that stay on the bus well enough (theft aside)?
Mounted high, is 110 degrees enough of an angle?
Also, What are you all doing to get a 12v plug set up in the bus?... I assume buses don't come with the 12v cigarette lighter style plugs.
Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #36
Bus Geek

This is the one I put on my bus: http://amzn.to/2w02JNR

I tapped into power from the strobe light that's already on the roof (and can't be legally used!), and mounted the camera so that I can see my bumper and about 20 feet behind me. It's set up for parking, not for looking behind you on the highway.

I don't think I would use a magnet system as my bus is 10 feet tall and I"m not afraid of thin tree branches.

Should be easy to find power in the driver's area. Most buses will have a 12v cig type outlet, if not you can add one. I added one of these to my dashboard to get voltage, usb accessory, and 12v accessory ports: http://amzn.to/2wBZEFI
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Can you have multiple outputs from the same camera? I'd like a home security setup that I can pull up on my phone or a bus TV. Night vision to record critters of all kind would be nice.

I'd also like to use the same cameras for driving. I'd like a rear view camera and a monitor that switches to side cameras when I use the turn signal.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote